Do you log EVERYTHING?

Options

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Nah.

I'm on maintenance so I don't need to be as rigid and it's working fine!
  • Breadoholic
    Breadoholic Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What is the point if you don't log everything? It's all about being accountable to yourself. Some weekends I really blow it by drinking wine but I still account for it. Good luck!

Yeah true, but I'm always under. If I logged the oil I used or the number of sips I've had from someone's drink then I'd probably be on track. It's not like I'm cheating myself... I'm not eating nuts or mini chocolates and then not logging them, ya know! It's more I can't be bothered sometimes haha and my internets slow.

You don't log your olive oil either?

I usually don't use it so it's very occasional. I have recently been logging my salad dressings which includes olive oil. I give myself a few hundred calories leeway each day - oil and latte for example.

I can understand that. I used to not either, then I quickly learned that was mistake. There are 120 cal in 1 tbl of oil.

To each their own. I just think there is no way to full know exactly how many calories we are eating a day so I like to log everything to have a better estimate.

Yeah man. I get ya. I'm being strict with my diet at the moment so I know I'm not cheating in any way ya know. I know a bit about food and how many calories they contain, so that helps..
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal thing. Do what works for you. I don't long gum and cough drops but I will log things like Miracle Whip and Ketchup. I feel if you are too strict with every tiny tiny little stick of gum you pop in your mouth(as long as you aren't chewing 20 sticks of gum) after you just walked across the room and burned it off, then you will never get any where. Others are different. I don't know I guess it's up to you. : )
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Read through the replies. WOW I wouldn't have thought to log vitamins, omega supplements, stevia, black coffee because I dind't think there were calories. should I definitely be doing that then?

Stevia and black coffee doesn't have any calories. I wouldn't worry about it. Just log things with calories, I guess.

Actually, black coffee is listed in the database as having calories.

I, however, chose not to log my 2-4 cups of black coffee a day.
  • Biancalee76
    Options
    Everything but gum.
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    A latte might have about 60 calories each, depending on the sugar you add to it, so at the end of it, if you are quite a coffee drinker like me, you might end up with 240 calories more than you expected. Although on the other hand... coffee is good to lose weight, it speeds up your metabolism and it's diuretic, so it's a helper at the end of the day :D

I try to log everything, at least most of the things I remember, if it's a meal out in a greek restaurant with a very particular dish, then perhaps I just skip the day, or add the amount of chicken more or less and quick add calories for the sauce or things like that, that's if I'm too bored, if I go two weeks on holidays where I have tapas and all that, then I just don't bother logging, because I would never find the food in the database, so I take it as proper holidays of everything.

When I'm cooking and I'm trying the food, I don't log it though, or if I have two teaspoons of ice cream, and also washed the dishes afterwards then I don't count it, as it would balance might be with the calories I would burn doing the washing afterwards. :D
  • sheila1119
    Options
    I log everything!!!!! :laugh: :smile: :tongue: :happy:
  • stardozer
    stardozer Posts: 180
    Options
    EVERYTHING!!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Read through the replies. WOW I wouldn't have thought to log vitamins, omega supplements, stevia, black coffee because I dind't think there were calories. should I definitely be doing that then?

Stevia and black coffee doesn't have any calories. I wouldn't worry about it. Just log things with calories, I guess.
    I log supplements because I'm watching my vitamins and minerals along with calories and everything else. I've especially been watching my iron intake after giving blood. Of course, all I take is a women's multivitamin, so it's not like it's a lot of work. :)
  • much2gain
    Options
    Everything but water, spray butter and yellow mustard. If something else goes on something I eat, it gets counted. Oh.. and water. I know 100% that I get enough of that.
  • avarielle1215
    avarielle1215 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that is zero calories (coffee, tea, splenda, hot sauce, etc.) or minimal calories (e.g. shredded lettuce on a sandwich).
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I log everything, even my naughty espresso smoothies. If I didn't log those, I'd most definitely screw up my calories for the day. They're high in calories, and I take that into account when making my additional food choices that day.
  • cdavis8807
    Options
    i log everything...down to the pieces of gum i chew!
  • teemarania
    Options
    Everything!! Even when it makes me cringe to log it in (especially those days that I couldn't control craving for snickers or so hungry I had to eat everything at jack at the box). But, it helps. I look back at the logs and realize why I'm not losing any weight!!! lol... and then I change it!
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    yesterday was my first day on MFP and I logged everything... Made me feel a bit meh about the fact I drink so much coke.. You don't realize how much it all add's up..

Surprisingly today, I drank less coke hahaha
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Everything. I log all my food and exercise so I can see the good and bad points of my lifestyle. It wouldn't help me if I omitted information on purpose.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't log coffee, zero cal things, or gum. Also, if my roommates make something and I try a bit (the smallest one I can manage), I won't log it. I am usually under cal, so I know there is a buffer zone. It works for me and I find it maintainable. It may not work for everyone, and kudos to everyone who DOES log everything.

So far it has been working. If it wasn't, then I would need to change it.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    EVERYTHING!
  • kakiem
    kakiem Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I must admit I don't see the point of using this as a weight loss tool if you are not going to log everything, except for things like gum and the lick of the spoon while cooking.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    yesterday was my first day on MFP and I logged everything... Made me feel a bit meh about the fact I drink so much coke.. You don't realize how much it all add's up..

Surprisingly today, I drank less coke hahaha
    Not surprising at all and I'm sure you're well aware of that. :happy:

One of the reasons that logging is so effective is that it makes you very aware of the consequences of your food choices. Next you'll be sitting in a restaurant trying to decide what to order by using MFP to look up the calories of each item. It's a sickness. :laugh: