Looking for top 5 tips from all of you successful people...

Options
I feel like I am stuck in a rut that I can't get out of. I have tried numerous times to eat healthy/exercise more/lose weight and have not been successful yet. I have no excuses...I know why I haven't been successful...it's because I don't do what needs to be done. I skip a few days here and there of working out...I don't stay within my calorie range because I just have to have that second slice of pizza or another chocolate chip cookie. And I know I am not the only one who has been in this position...you have all started somewhere and dug yourself out and have reached your goal or are on your way to reaching it. So what I am looking for is what tips do you have for a fellow MFP who has not been successful yet. Everyone is different so hopefully I find a few that work for me!

What are your top 5?!

Replies

• gagagul
    gagagul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    1. Working out as a routine (If you commit to 3 times a week stick to it)
    2. Tell yourself you can have that 2nd slice of pizza but NAH you won't!
    3. Log everything you eat and drink down to water!! It will help you see the overall
    4. Weigh yourself it's annoying but it gives you a good look into your weight loss or help keep you on track if you stray away and it's honest.
    5. Don't give up! Ever!!!

Hope that helps it kind of helped me to write it down myself I must say!!! Good luck!!! You can do it!!!!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    1. Eliminate processed foods, refined sugars, and junk food
    2. Up your protein, limit your fats
    3. Drink your water
    4. Mix up your exercise (strength and cardio)
    5. Eat back your exercise calories

Look at my ticker...I'm at goal...that should tell you something.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    1. Plan your meals ahead of time. I used to plan a day ahead, but I now plan a week ahead. Changes always happen, but you always want to remain accountable. It is also very economical. You know exactly what to buy.
    2. Get a huge water bottle and carry it with you at all times. I like to drink half of my body weight in ounces.
    3. Do you have certain foods that you just can't deny? Prepare them in a healthy way! I love lasagna, so I've replaced the noodles with zucchini and yellow squash. I love it more than the other lasagna I used to make!
    4. Discipline goes a long way. You don't want to do it? Do it anway. You never regret working out, but you almost always regret not doing it. You will feel better too.
    5. Give yourself weekly and monthly goals to reach each week. Instead of running for five minutes, push for a ten. Every step is progress.
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    1) stick with it
    2) stick with it
    3) stick with it
    4) stick with it
    5) stick with it
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    1. posted pictures of myself very fat and very thin in a place where I see them everyday

2. I log everything I put in my mouth NO MATTER WHAT (if you do that, eventually the rest falls in to place - in about 3 days or 3 weeks; I promise)

3. I am on this site all the time (if keeps me focused and motivated) and I have lots of great friends who keep tabs on me, set a great example, and encourage me

4. I'm at a place in my life when I can do this (all my kids are finally in school; I'm no longer working two jobs or going to school and working, etc. = I can make time to get healthy; still not easy mind you - I'm a professional and mother of three)

5. If all else fails, I will not allow myself to eat more than my maintenance calorie amount (and I recalculate that number everytime I lose weight); it is one thing to blow a diet, it is another to GAIN more weight. I AM NEVER GOING TO GAIN WEIGHT AGAIN!

Good luck!
  • Micheetah
    Micheetah Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    3. Drink your water

these, except no need to limit fats as long as they are "good" fats. Limit sugar and refined carbs.
  • InvictusPheonix
    InvictusPheonix Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Just think about WHAT you are eating... honestly, after learning how at risk i was to cancer and other problems associated with poor diet/processed foods/ect, it put a lot in perspective
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    1) don't give up
    2) always get back on track, one day doesn't ruin it all
    3) don't diet... eat what you want when you want it in moderation
    4) start slow if you are new to exercise, have realistic goals/expectations
    5) make sure you are eating enough calories and that they are healthy calories (mcdonalds means you can only eat one time that day, but a lunch meat sandwich allows you to eat more because it aren't as many calories)
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    1) Commit to changing your life for the better.. if you don't commit its not gonna work
    2) Do not use the word DIET!
    3) Tell everyone you know you what you are trying to do so that they dont sabatoge you unknowingly
    4) log everything you eat and drink and do not drink all your calories away. eat 5-6 meals a day and eat ALLyour calories
    5) Repeat after me: FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION

Good luck!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Thaea
    Thaea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There is only ONE RULE!!!! Ready for this fantastic top secret?

Ok....

*drumroll*

So you MUST only buy healthful foods to keep in your house. NO JUNK, NO SWEETS. If you only have healthful food, you have no choice but to eat it instead of junk when you get hungry. DO NOT buy anything that's not good for you OR YOU WILL EAT IT!!!

If you follow these instructions for a week, you will no longer be interested in junk food. It will become unappealing.

As part of the huge top secret, and this is the hard part....you need to avoid putting yourself into situations where there is a lot of junk food in front of you, and all your friends are eating it, so you do it socially too. Ya know birthday parties where they put out a tray of cupcakes, a plate of cookies, a bowl of chips....yeah, I'll clean it all out. Doesn't matter if my stomach hurts cause it's so full and I feel like I'm gonna throw up...I'll keep eating it anyway. Now that I am aware of that, I know not to let myself get into that situation. Unlimited chips and salsa at the restaurant? HUGE DANGER!!

Number one rule though: If you're home and hungry, and there's only healthful food, you have no choice but to eat it.
  • jocraw66
    Options
    1. Don't keep junk in your house! This was key for me. When I stopped keeping the cookies, candies and sugary cereals in the house I became more successful. You can't eat what you don't have.

2. Exercise must be a priority. If you have time to watch a 30 minute show you have time to exercise. Most folks have DVR now so record your show if that is keeping you from working out. If it is lack of child care then find an activity that can include them such as walking, or riding bikes.

3. Plan your days menu the night before and stick to it! When you veer away from what you have planned is when you tend to go over your calorie goal.

4. Be selfish sometimes. Tell people no on occasion. We often commit to others but neglect ourselves in the process.

5. Don't wait until Monday to begin again when you mess up. Start at the very next bite you take. If we screw up on Tuesday and deem the week a failure until Monday think of all the missed opportunities to get back on track.

Good luck. You can do it but you really have to decide that you want to. Once you do you can commit fully to most of the time getting it right.

(I've lost 126 pounds and every day it is still hard but I always remember this quote, "Losing weight is hard. Being fat is harder."
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Not sure how "successful" I am, but I have kept off most of the weight I lost (80 of 100) for 3 years...

1. Eat a healthy variety of food, limit processed foods as much as possible, and track all of it. It helps you figure out what works.
    2. Find an activity you enjoy that will get you moving. if you enjoy it you won't think "I have to exercise", you'll want to.
    3. Stay hydrated, tea counts if you don't like water.
    4. Make sure you're getting enough sleep
    5. If you slip up, just keep going. No "I'll start over tomorrow", start making good choices the moment you notice you're sliding off course.
  • queennahs
    queennahs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Stew, eat back your exercise calories? Really?

I think I would feel odd doing that.

Is this about not going below your minimum calorie intake and therefore not slowing your metabolism?

I've set my activity level to sedentary as I'm an office worker, but I do make sure I get in some high intensity workouts 5 days a week (two days derby training, three days gym, two walking/gardening etc days). So on those days my deficit can be quite high.
  • reepobob
    Options
    3. Drink your water

these, except no need to limit fats as long as they are "good" fats. Limit sugar and refined carbs.

What I mean by #2 is to have it as a lower percentage in your macro breakdown...I am currently at 45% protein, 35% carb, and 20% fat...still ingest fat (good fats), but they aren't a large portion of my daily macros. Did I clear that up for ya?
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    4. Discipline goes a long way. You don't want to do it? Do it anway. You never regret working out, but you almost always regret not doing it. You will feel better too.

I love that! You never regret working out, I really needed to hear that today. Thanks!
  • reepobob
    Options
    1. posted pictures of myself very fat and very thin in a place where I see them everyday

2. I log everything I put in my mouth NO MATTER WHAT (if you do that, eventually the rest falls in to place - in about 3 days or 3 weeks; I promise)

3. I am on this site all the time (if keeps me focused and motivated) and I have lots of great friends who keep tabs on me, set a great example, and encourage me

4. I'm at a place in my life when I can do this (all my kids are finally in school; I'm no longer working two jobs or going to school and working, etc. = I can make time to get healthy; still not easy mind you - I'm a professional and mother of three)

5. If all else fails, I will not allow myself to eat more than my maintenance calorie amount (and I recalculate that number everytime I lose weight); it is one thing to blow a diet, it is another to GAIN more weight. I AM NEVER GOING TO GAIN WEIGHT AGAIN!

Good luck!

In regards to #2, what if you put it in your mouth, but don't swallow...Like a...

Thumb...?
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    1. Book exercise on calendar and treat it as important as a parent/teacher conference.
    2. Have pre-planned menus and log them, inserting snacks in a thoughtful manner
    3. Stick to salt goals as intensely as calorie goals
    4. Fill a pitcher of watcher at work and drink throughout the day
    5. No unscheduled, unplanned food at work
  • npostma
    npostma Posts: 33
    Options
    1. Be honest with yourself, log everything because everything that goes into your mouth counts!
    2. Don't beat yourself up when you have a bad day or a bad choice!
    3. If you make a bad choice, that is not an excuse to blow the whole day. Go for a walk and burn the extra calories you ate from that bad choice.
    4. If you end up blowing the whole day, forgive yourself and start fresh the next day.
    5. Remember, this is a lifestyle change, not a DIET! You are allowed, occasionally, to indulge, but do it with a plan so it actually is not indulging!

Remember that you are changing your habits for the rest of your life! You are teaching yourself you be a healthier you!

You can do it!
  • reepobob
    Options
    Stew, eat back your exercise calories? Really?

I think I would feel odd doing that.

Is this about not going below your minimum calorie intake and therefore not slowing your metabolism?

I've set my activity level to sedentary as I'm an office worker, but I do make sure I get in some high intensity workouts 5 days a week (two days derby training, three days gym, two walking/gardening etc days). So on those days my deficit can be quite high.

You are already set at a calorie deficit before exercising...I actually lost more weight when I increased my intake, not decreased. It works! Almost 70 pounds in less than 9 months...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!