Looking for top 5 tips from all of you successful people...

Options

Replies

• rosemiller11
    rosemiller11 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump for later.... great tips!
    Sometimes I log the food before I eat it... helps me get a better handle on how much that cake/cookie/mcdonalds meal is gonna cost me.
  • NewLife_11
    NewLife_11 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    bump..Awesome topic!
  • busymnmom
    busymnmom Posts: 133
    Options
    bump
  • Lindsay7360
    Options
    BUMP :)
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Buuuuuuuump
  • beathen
    beathen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump! :happy:
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    1. Don't keep junk in your house! This was key for me. When I stopped keeping the cookies, candies and sugary cereals in the house I became more successful. You can't eat what you don't have.

2. Exercise must be a priority. If you have time to watch a 30 minute show you have time to exercise. Most folks have DVR now so record your show if that is keeping you from working out. If it is lack of child care then find an activity that can include them such as walking, or riding bikes.

3. Plan your days menu the night before and stick to it! When you veer away from what you have planned is when you tend to go over your calorie goal.

4. Be selfish sometimes. Tell people no on occasion. We often commit to others but neglect ourselves in the process.

5. Don't wait until Monday to begin again when you mess up. Start at the very next bite you take. If we screw up on Tuesday and deem the week a failure until Monday think of all the missed opportunities to get back on track.

Good luck. You can do it but you really have to decide that you want to. Once you do you can commit fully to most of the time getting it right.

(I've lost 126 pounds and every day it is still hard but I always remember this quote, "Losing weight is hard. Being fat is harder."
    Great tips, especially #4 and #5.
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump Bump!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    1- Understand how you got into the mess. No excuses, just understand, read, talk to people sort it out. Fix your brain box before you fix your body. Otherwise this is all for nothing and you will be back into the same routines as you were before.

2 - If you using mfp - use it. Daily... every meal... Read it the next day and make daily goals. I am against pre planning meals simply because my life is impossible to plan

3 - Don't get into a consistent routine, meaning eat new and exciting foods - try healthy stuff you never tried before. Go to your max caloric intake on Monday and lower it Tuesday - Something about going up and down that triggers loss for me.

4 - Eat too live, do not live to eat. Realize food is nothing but pre energy, use it to energize. If you find something tasty that does it for you do it. Stay away from soda, fast food etc.

5 - This goes back to number 1 - Learn what your doing wrong and stop doing it, simple as that. No excuses.... No seconds... Nothing ... Do it the hard way the Barta way. Cold turkey, whatever I needed to do I did it. I started with just grilled chicken, lots of salad without dressing and fruits / nuts. It was a hard first two weeks but I got a taste for it and enjoyed it.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    1. Forgive yourself for all the years you screwed up making bad choices. The past is over, but do understand why you did it and make the commitment never to go back.

2. Setup a good support network for yourself and mini-goals along the way. Each mini-goal should have a reward (non-food related). There will be days and weeks that go by that you don't lose a pound, and you need to remember then that you are doing this for your health and wellbeing more than anything else. Your friends will remind you. Find people who will support you no matter what and rely on them.

3. Forgive yourself if you screw up in the future. Just because you trip over a rock doesn't mean you have to smack your head against it repeatedly. If you eat too much or something you shouldn't have eaten during a meal, don't go ruin the rest of your day because of it.

4. Never be afraid to say "no" even if you are being pressured by others. Unfortuantely, far too many folks on here deal with relatives and friend in their lives who will try to sabotage their health goals at some points. This is very very common. Do not let it bring you down. Love yourself enough to stand up for yourself.

5. Never give up. Even if you screw up for weeks or months at a time, get back on it. Never forget that it is never too late, and every day is a chance to do the right thing.

Good luck to you!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    1) patience
    2) sign up for some activity like a 5K. you don't have to run them. alot of people simply walk them. they're fun, can get addicting. keeps you motivated. almost 99% of them are for a good cause, fund raiser, etc. etc. who cares if 1 mile takes you 5 mins or 50 mins. it's still 1 mile.
    3) look at #1 again
    4) be consistent.
    5) don't be afraid to try new things. food and excercise wise. helps from getting bored and you may find you like it.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying. It's the only tip! Just keep going!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am stuck in a rut that I can't get out of. I have tried numerous times to eat healthy/exercise more/lose weight and have not been successful yet. I have no excuses...I know why I haven't been successful...it's because I don't do what needs to be done. I skip a few days here and there of working out...I don't stay within my calorie range because I just have to have that second slice of pizza or another chocolate chip cookie. And I know I am not the only one who has been in this position...you have all started somewhere and dug yourself out and have reached your goal or are on your way to reaching it. So what I am looking for is what tips do you have for a fellow MFP who has not been successful yet. Everyone is different so hopefully I find a few that work for me!

What are your top 5?!

1. Plan your food each day
    2. everything in moderation - with moderation beinG one treat per week!
    3. just do it! there are no excuses... just do it!
    4. patience... you didnt put the weight on in a week, it wont all come off in a week
    5. JUST DO IT!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    1. Eat clean and stay away from processed foods 80% of the time
    2. It's ok to have junk/treats/chocolate/icecream/chips/fast food every once in a while AS LONG AS YOU LOG IT and stay within your calorie goal
    3. Don't starve yourself or skip meals. Eat your exercise calories (or at least some of them)
    4. Work-out (preferably a mix of cardio and strength training): your body will look better faster even if the scale doesn't move
    5. Take measurements. They're a way better indicator than pounds
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    1. Eat for the size you want to be. My calorie intake (on days I don't exercise) is around the maintenance level for my goal weight. Almost no one eats 1200 calories at maintenance, so I'm not going to do it now. This means that my weight loss might be slower, but it's not a race. My aim is to be healthy, not beach ready by Christmas.

2. Stop making excuses. I've heard them all (and given a few of them). You are choosing to be overweight. If you don't want this enough to not eat the whole pizza every time, then you won't succeed. I lied to myself for years that "this was just who I was". It's not true, it's just easier.

3. You do not screw up by eating the whole pizza sometimes. This may seem to contradict the previous point, but bear with me. This is your life. As long as the good choices you make outnumber the bad, you are doing well. As a general rule you should stay within your calorie limits and not pig out on sugar and saturated fats, but you aren't doing anything wrong because you like these things - just try to balance it out with healthier stuff.

4. Not having junk food in the house will only help for so long. The reason most people are overweight is that they lack the will or will power to resist eating what they want. It's instant gratification. Not having cookies at home may help for a while to get you less hooked, but ultimately if you can't have a full plate of them in front of you and take just one then you are setting yourself up to fail. Either you will cave when in a scenario where junk food is freely available or you will begin to resent friends who eat it, avoid settings where it will be available and that is no way to live. You need to be strong and try to stay within your limits.

5. The more you exercise, the healthier you'll be and the less you will have to watch what you eat. As everyone says, exercise calories can be used to create a little bit of a deficit, but they will be your friend. On days I exercise, I eat more. In fact, since I cycle to work most days, I'm happy to say I've lost over 50lbs since May and I eat in excess of 2000 calories most days. Find exercise that fits into your life or go to the gym; either way getting moving will be good for you.

I have a bonus tip, but it's not about how to succeed, it's about how not to feel like you've failed. Something I see on here, and hear from friends all the time is how they would feel great if only they just lost another couple of pounds, or twenty pounds, or a hundred pounds. Life would be sweet.

Bonus Fact: Dieting is not a cure for low self-esteem (this does not mean I think the OP has low self-esteem, just that it's a good tip in general). Sure, being a little (or a lot) thinner will help you like what you see in the mirror a little more, but as a lot of people who've lost weight will tell you, that's only part of it. People find that their weight wasn't always a cause of low self-esteem, but a symptom. The more you like yourself, the more you will want good things for yourself (or believe you deserve them), and that includes being healthier/thinner/toned etc. Remind yourself of all the wonderful things you can do, what you mean to people, and try to learn that other people's opinions don't matter. And yes, that includes my opinion.

Good luck everyone.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've been thinking about this all morning:

1. LOVE food. Become a chef, get interested in what goes into your body. Make sure that you adore every meal and snack that you are consuming. Try new stuff. Healthy food is NOT boring. Try out chinese supermarkets, vegetarian options, new herbs and spices and have fun in the kitchen. As soon as you get bored with food you'll start to crave crappy sugary stuff. Use the recipe section of this forum and get into food blogs, there are so many delicious healthy meals out there just waiting to be discovered.

2. Don't drink your calories. I have never really been a fan of fizzy drinks anyway, so this wasn't such a problem for me. But drinking coke, or even fruit juice and flavoured water don't fill you up in the same way as a meal or snack would. Drink water. LOTS and LOTS of water instead. Save your calories for foooooood!

3. Deny yourself nothing. I know this probably doesn't work for everyone; but I know that I can't live the rest of my life without chocolate, the occaisional takeaway and alcohol. The way I see it as long as you stay within your calories and macros, work out and make healthy choices most of the time, the odd treat should be part of a healthy lifestyle. If you exercise, you can eat pizza and still stay in your calorie goal.

4. Breakfast. I was never vey good at eating breakfast; I always thought I'd rather sleep. But since doing this I have come to find that breakfast with it's endless possibilities is my favourite meal of the day. My personal favourites are anything and oatmeal, and anything with greek yoghurt. A good breakfast will stop you needing to snack so much for the whole day.

5. Find an exercise (or preferably a few) that you really enjoy. When I embarked on this journey I was less than enthusiastic about exercise, but I soon discovered there's loads of stuff that I love to do. Riding my bike to work is a fantastic start to the day (I am lucky enough to live by the sea, so it really is a beautiful ride to work), yoga has made me feel better and stronger than I ever have and I have recently taken up poledancing. Really the choices are endless - try out various exercise classes and see what you like best. I know that it can get a little expensive, but investing in your health is SO worth it. Remember, an exercise class is cheaper than going out for dinner!
  • mommygirl81
    Options
    1. Plan your meals ahead of time. I used to plan a day ahead, but I now plan a week ahead. Changes always happen, but you always want to remain accountable. It is also very economical. You know exactly what to buy.
    2. Get a huge water bottle and carry it with you at all times. I like to drink half of my body weight in ounces.
    3. Do you have certain foods that you just can't deny? Prepare them in a healthy way! I love lasagna, so I've replaced the noodles with zucchini and yellow squash. I love it more than the other lasagna I used to make!
    4. Discipline goes a long way. You don't want to do it? Do it anway. You never regret working out, but you almost always regret not doing it. You will feel better too.
    5. Give yourself weekly and monthly goals to reach each week. Instead of running for five minutes, push for a ten. Every step is progress.

This is AMAZING advice. Especially #4.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    IMHO:

1. Cut down on starches and sugars. If anything, eating small amounts of them make me MORE hungry, not less.

2. Set your calories at a realistic number. Tell MFP you want to lose 1 pound per week, not 2.

3. Try making at least one new recipe a week, and find healthy foods you like to eat. Learn to love leftovers -- I am much happier since I started brown bagging leftovers instead of eating Subway salads.

4. Find some exercise you like to do and can fit into your schedule.

5. Keep a journal, and track what works for you. Do you have some specific foods or situations that are causing you grief? If so, make a plan to deal with them. Think about ways you could introduce more healthy activity in your day, without going overboard of course.
  • GwynnBochanan
    GwynnBochanan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1. Weigh yourself, seeing the reality is very motivating.
    2. Record everything, whether you have a good day or bad, it shows you what is and isn't worth the calories
    3. Instead of the cookie grab a piece of fruit or veggie,,orange, apple, banana, whatever fruit or vegetable you like
    4. Come up with t a plan you can stick with, ie 30 minutes a day walking. Build up your workout.
    5. Drink lots of water/tea
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I love this THREAD!

1: Stay as active as possible ALL day, not just at the gym. I learned this from The Abs Diet book, which I love. So many hours in the day, why limit your burn to one or two?
    2: Increase your green leafy veggies as much as possible. This helps me recover after a naughty day, especially with lots of water.
    3: Find an exercise you LOVE. May take a while, but no one will have to remind you to exercise ever again.
    4: Extra pounds mean anger directed back at self. Not true for everyone, but definitely for me. I learned this from Celebrity Fit Club. You can learn from some of the strangest sources sometimes! When my weight begins to creep up, I know it is time to sit down with someone I love and have a difficult conversation.
    5: Being thin IS a reward. I am not punishing myself, so I don't need to reward myself...especially with food. I really have to remember this on bad days when I think I need/deserve a "treat". For me, this usually ends with a depleted bank account and a stuffed tummy!

Finally, I just want to wish you the very best of luck and much success. You can do this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!