PALEO

Options
124»

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I would have responded to your post OP, but I see it is getting harder and harder to find a legitimate and honest conversation on the message boards.
  • alyssalanet
    Options
    Wait, did I ever say "grains, dairy, and legumes are bad?" And did I actually say that I find a benefit in my own personal energy levels and lifestyle when eating a diet BASED OFF of fats, fruit and veggies? While cutting out processed foods. Oh, and that I actually live a sort of "revised" Paleo lifestyle. Goodness.
    Was my response directed towards you, or another poster?

Have you read our links yet? Or is ignorance too bliss to challenge your own preconceived notions?

Ignorance by definition is "lacking knowledge" so, in this case...I very well have read your link as I do like to learn. But you were ignorant enough to call me ignorant when in fact, I read your link.
  • HunterCML
    Options
    Ignorance by definition is "lacking knowledge" so, in this case...I very well have read your link as I do like to learn. But you were ignorant enough to call me ignorant when in fact, I read your link.

This makes me happy.

I've had a crush on you for years..
  • alyssalanet
    Options

This makes me happy.

I've had a crush on you for years..

Sorry...not my type. You eat processed things....
  • HunterCML
    Options

:( okay
  • alyssalanet
    Options

:( okay

You've officially made me giggle.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Because you keep accusing us of being trolls and getting off on arguing, while we have supplied facts and you have not.

What do you make of the article, then? Do you understand why a diet that has processed carbs is not worse from a metabolic standpoint?
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I would have responded to your post OP, but I see it is getting harder and harder to find a legitimate and honest conversation on the message boards.

this.
  • alyssalanet
    Options
    Because you keep accusing us of being trolls and getting off on arguing, while we have supplied facts and you have not.

What do you make of the article, then? Do you understand why a diet that has processed carbs is not worse from a metabolic standpoint?

I never called you a troll, although I'm pretty sure I was called one. I would rather just be called a sarcastic person.

Anywho, the article was interesting and thought provoking and I do understand how processed carbs can be in a person's diet and be totally acceptable in the terms of a person's body being able to process them from a metabolic standpoint and won't be effected in a negative way. Yes, I understand that...and have had an understanding of that. I don't believe that processed carbs are a bad thing. For me, I would rather get my carbohydrates from a different source.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I had no idea what the Paleo Diet was so I googled it. The info says the Paleo Diet has been around since the 1970's. Considering I have tried every thing in the last 40 years, not sure how I missed the Paleo. It is not a diet I would be able to do because I am not a big meat eater. I like the slow and steady MFP approach because I feel like I can do this for a long long time, hopefully the rest of my life. I am curious as to when the Paleo Diet came back into fashion. Does any one know?
  • jpatrickwinstead
    Options
    I eat paleo, maybe 90%. I look and feel great, I'm in the best shape of my life.

Personally I've found it to be less expensive than how I was eating, but that's because I used to eat out all the time. Now I cook almost everything I eat. I have a meat farmshare and a veggie farmshare, and I try to buy from farmer's markets, so that keeps costs down.

The "a calorie is a calorie" guy is an idiot.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I never called you a troll, although I'm pretty sure I was called one. I would rather just be called a sarcastic person.

Anywho, the article was interesting and thought provoking and I do understand how processed carbs can be in a person's diet and be totally acceptable in the terms of a person's body being able to process them from a metabolic standpoint and won't be effected in a negative way. Yes, I understand that...and have had an understanding of that. I don't believe that processed carbs are a bad thing. For me, I would rather get my carbohydrates from a different source.
    No problem on my end with this.
  • Prazzie
    Prazzie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im considering trying a paleo diet, but I wanted to get some input from people who have done/are doing it. if i start it, i dont intend for it to be short-term

first of all, how expensive is it? what would you guess you spend per week? i find that the healthier you eat, the more expensive things get.

It really depends on what you've been eating thus far. Getting McDonald's three times a day would be cheaper than eating paleo foods. For me, I was already doing low-carb before, trying to buy good (but lean) meat, and eating lots of fresh vegetables. After going paleo, I've cut out legumes and all grains (I used to eat whole grains). And of course sugar is out too. So when you take into consideration that you're spending a bit more on very high quality ingredients, but you're no longer buying grains, beans or sugary snacks, it balances out. I'm a student and I manage to afford to eat like paleo royalty, so it's not prohibitively expensive. Also, since you feel full for much longer, you'll end up only eating twice a day, probably.

I do have to say that I splurged on a jar of extra virgin coconut oil. Totally worth it!
    also, do you follow it to a T, or do you sometimes cook with things like worcestershire, honey, beef or chicken stock, or other sauces? do you drink at all? also, if you drink or indulge (the holidays are coming) is there serious repurcussions? does your body hate sugar/alcohol when youre eating that clean?

I try to follow it very strictly, but I do incorporate some of the "primal" foods, like coffee and dark chocolate (85%). I don't drink any alcohol, because I consider that empty calories, but I won't say no to a good glass of red if the occasion pops up. As for how you feel after cheating, everyone reacts differently. Some paleo people can't tolerate any wheat or dairy and pasta gives them stomach cramps. I suppose it depends on how delicate your constitution is. If I were you, I'd go paleo for 30 days to see how it goes, then see how you feel about including non-paleo foods.
    finally - what have your results been with it? do you feel healthier and more fit?

any input would be greatly appreciated, maybe even youre favoite paleo recipe! :))

I feel amazing. Seriously, since switching from lean meats to more fat, I feel glowy and happy and full of energy. I've been amazed at the difference. Also, best diet ever in terms of foods you can eat. I've never really had a sweet tooth, so I don't miss sugar. I've never liked bread, considering it a necessary thing to hold together filling ingredients. Definitely haven't missed beans! I'm perfectly happy with steak and vegetables. I've had some fruit, but honestly, I find it a bit too sweet. I had three grapes the other day and it was enough.

It was really easy for me, since I was already very nearly paleo, but if you've been eating carbs and sugar, you might suffer withdrawal symptoms. Apparently the trick is to eat even more fat (coconut oil in everything!). If you do get "carb-flu", it should pass within about 3 days of feeling icky. Just rest, drink water and deal with it.

I'm sorry you've had such a negative reaction on this forum. I'm not saying paleo/primal is for everyone, but mean, it's vegetables, fruits, nuts, meat, seafood and healthy fats. That's pretty ideal, unless you buy the "healthy whole grains" notion. The way I ended up paleo is first I watched the movie "Fat Head". Then I read "Wheat Belly". When I decided I needed to ditch wheat and grains, I realised that's practically paleo. Got rid of the beans as well and here I am. Loving it!

Try Mark's Daily Apple for a more supportive forum and some great recipes. You can usually adjust low-carb and gluten free recipes to suit your new lifestyle. All the best!
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    to suit your new lifestyle. All the best!

This is why me and many other "new" forum members have an issue with the advice on these forums. Your diet should fit YOU, not your life fitting a diet.

I couldn't care less if you choose a different diet that restricts food choices if that is your personal preference that does not negatively impact you. But if you're restricting specific foods by assuming it is "healthier" or better for fat loss or better for muscle gain then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. You should eat a specific diet because you want to, not because of misinformation.

As for success on Paleo diets, part of this can be explained by increased protein intake. AARR has a ton of studies that show a higher protein diet (around 1.5g/kg seems like the sweet spot) is superior when losing weight.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a breif explanation for why this thread has been locked. While discussing different opinions on weightloss based topics, this thread had gone outside the scope of the following rules:

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

17) Please stay on-topic, and help us make our forums a "No Hijacking" zone. Users come to MyFitnessPal for support and encouragement. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are discouraging and disrespectful, and will be deleted. Repeated offense may result in revocation of posting privileges. Please either contribute positively to a thread, or move on without posting.

Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay on MyFitnessPal

_Ben
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.