Talk to me about Barefoot Running

Options
2»

Replies

• staceyrec
    staceyrec Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should talk about this with a professional. I was diagnosed by a physiotherapist with planter facitis after months of pain in my heels, on the balls of my feet, and re-occuring shin splints. I spent several more months in physio, and started bare foot running in an attempt to correct my gait. The heel pain kept getting worse, and the shin spints kept coming back. I finally cracked and went to get fitted for orthotics, and the pedorthist determined that I actually had bruised heel bones, and the problems I've been having are related to genetics and the shape of my foot. His recommendation was wear a supportive shoe at all times, even indoors, and commented that barefoot running had exasperated the problem. I have had friends who have had great success with barefoot running, but keep in mind that its not right for everybody.
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    I did talk to a professional at the shoe store, and was measured, fitted, and "examined" while walking. So I got on one machine where it measured something, then another that had little comb bristle like things that I guess measured my arches, then I was watched as I walked to see where I landed. The professional determined my shoes were not the problem, but my higher arch. He sold me a $60 insert that sits inside of my shoe and I can feel it against my arch. He did not mention barefoot running, and didn't have any in store.
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    Be careful if you have flat feet or no arches. I have extremely flat feet (to the point where my ankles kinda turn in) and it would be a really bad idea for me to wear them, because there is NO support.

Edit: Also I've heard that shin splints can come from running on hard surfaces like concrete. Have you tried running on a high school all weather track? They're kinda squishy, so you don't have that super high impact.

It has always been on concrete or the treadmill. I can look for some running trails or even the high school foot ball field perhaps.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I always got shin splints with running, and it prevented me from taking it very far. I started barefoot running this summer (doing the C25K program barefoot) and it is FABULOUS. Maybe not for everyone, but for me, it fixed every problem I had with running. I plan to get some Vibrams since it's getting colder here pretty quickly, but I currently run 100% barefoot on the track, and in socks on the treadmill. I've tried running in shoes a couple times, and regretted it a lot each time. I haven't tried barefoot on concrete yet, but I can almost guarantee it isn't as hard on my feet/ankles/knees as trying to do the same in my shoes. (Which are excellent running shoes - it's not their fault LOL).

I suggest reading a bit about proper running form and more about barefoot running for a week or so while you rest and ice your shins. Once they're better, give barefoot running a try -- starting out very, very slowly - the C25K schedule is perfect for that, so you might want to go back and repeat week 3 (or earlier) barefoot, maybe. You use your feet, etc in a different way, so the tendons and muscles need to be given a chance to strengthen and adjust to the new demands. The main issue IME with barefoot running is doing too much, too fast, and ending up with plantar fasciitis -- which is totally avoidable if you take it slow and gradually build up. After a couple weeks, it will either be something you love, something want to keep doing part time, or something clearly not for you. And there's no "one size fits all" to it -- I have a friend with very flat feet who finds barefoot running to be awesome for her, and another with flat feet who finds it very uncomfortable and unstable to run barefoot. The only way to know for sure if it will be good for you is to kick the shoes off and give it a go!

If you consult a pro, just keep in mind that they may or may not actually know all that much about barefoot running, the mechanics of it, etc, even if it seems obvious that they should have learned that.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It has always been on concrete or the treadmill. I can look for some running trails or even the high school foot ball field perhaps.

If you try it on a trail, just watch out for rocks, you don't want to bruise or cut your feet when you're just starting out barefoot running! Some trails are rock-free; others are definitely not.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Be careful if you have flat feet or no arches. I have extremely flat feet (to the point where my ankles kinda turn in) and it would be a really bad idea for me to wear them, because there is NO support.

I've never understood the shoe suggestions for flat feet. I have flat feet. No arch at all. My wet footprint looks like a big oval. And I never wear shoes with any kind of support. Like I said, I'm wearing Vibram Five-Fingers for workouts (except running but I'm working up to that) and wear them around the house, running errands, etc. The other shoes that I live in are Tevas that also have zero support. And if I'm going for something more fashionable, it's almost always just something like a ballet flat with no support. I'm almost 54 and have never had any kind of foot problem and can walk/stand for hours in these type of shoes without a problem.

I know we're all different so I'm just saying that supportive shoes have never been necessary for my flat feet. YMMV.