question about carbs

Options

Replies

• mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    For the majority of people that are overweight yes OVERWEIGHT DOES = Insulin Resistance.
    Need to see data to support that claim. And if that's the case, then why does almost every long-term study done on dieting show that low carb is not inherently better to low fat?

I'll make a big post with a bunch of peer-reviewed research later. Even research done on obese participants showing that long-term weight loss is not better with a low carb diet.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Need to see data to support that claim. And if that's the case, then why does almost every long-term study done on dieting show that low carb is not inherently better to low fat?

I'll make a big post with a bunch of peer-reviewed research later. Even research done on obese participants showing that long-term weight loss is not better with a low carb diet.

Hmm that's funny, because that's not what any of the peer-reviewed research I've read says.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Hmm that's funny, because that's not what any of the peer-reviewed research I've read says.
    Maybe you're reading the wrong stuff!

What research do you have?
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    If 2/3 of the population is overweight and there is a 1 in 2 chance of becoming diabetic, then far more than 10% of people are insulin resistant.

It is much greater than that tiny minority you are trying to make it out to be.
    Did I say 10%?

Overweight =/= insulin resistant.

For the majority of people that are overweight yes OVERWEIGHT DOES = Insulin Resistance.

this would assume that people are overweight because they are consuming carbs, not because of OVERCONSUMPTION of carbs, fat AND/OR protein. please enlighten us.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This is true. Research has shown that for the majority low carb diets do not provide long term weight loss any more than low fat diets do. And the reason is the same. Most people (not ALL, most) don't stick to it long term. Without an underlying medical condition prompting it people simply don't want to deprive themselves. A sensible diet of moderate carbs, protein, fat, and calories along with regular exercise is usually most successful for healthy people.
  • HunterCML
    Options

With consideration to the Laws of Thermodynamics and the biochemical metabolic pathways of carbohydrate oxidation and storage; can you please explain to me in detail how carbohydrate intake can effect body weight/composition in a way that negates basic energy balance?

Please respond.
  • Drunkadelic
    Options
    Maybe you're reading the wrong stuff!

What research do you have?

I don't have it saved on this PC. If I have time later I will post it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    nsulin is a hormone secreted by the pancreas to help maintain optimal blood sugar level. Insulin's job is to remove sugar from the blood and store it, either as glycogen in the muscles and liver or, more frequently, as fat. Insulin is good. It helps maintain balance in the body. However, when triggered at the wrong times and in great amounts, insulin will make you fat. Preventing frequent and intense insulin responses is the single most critical step in reducing bodyfat for many people.

Insulin also has a negative affect on resting metabolic rate. Depending on the frequency and the severity of the insulin response, it may reduce the number of calories burned at rest by as much as eight percent! Over time, this could add up to a significant amount of extra bodyfat.

"Preventing frequent and intense insulin responses is the single most critical step in reducing bodyfat for many people."

so people should eat mostly fat? you know protein is also pretty insulingenic.

the single most critical step in reducing bodyfat is being in a caloric deficit
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    "Preventing frequent and intense insulin responses is the single most critical step in reducing bodyfat for many people."

so people should eat mostly fat? you know protein is also pretty insulingenic.

the single most critical step in reducing bodyfat is being in a caloric deficit
    I agree, except I would take it a step further and say, "the only NECESSARY step in reducing body fat is being in a caloric deficit," as nothing else is necessary outside of a caloric deficit. Once that is in place, you will lose fat - though some ways are better than others. If that is not in place (i.e. you are at maintenance or above maintenance), you will not lose fat.
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

This is true. Research has shown that for the majority low carb diets do not provide long term weight loss any more than low fat diets do. And the reason is the same. Most people (not ALL, most) don't stick to it long term. Without an underlying medical condition prompting it people simply don't want to deprive themselves. A sensible diet of moderate carbs, protein, fat, and calories along with regular exercise is usually most successful for healthy people.

Depending on how you define LOW, I actually think that one of the advantages of low carb diets is that they're easier to stick to. In this case when I say low I mean 50-100g of carbs per day. What I've found personally is that eating in this carb range has forced me to eat a lot more vegetables, which allows me to feel less deprived under restricted caloric intake. Eating calorie dense high-carb foods that don't make you full when you're restricting calories, means you have to hardly eat anything. I've done that. The approach I have now allows me to feel full (often stuffed) after meals, and I also stay full longer. For me this has been the biggest benefit to restricting my carbs, or more specifically, restricting my grain intake.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

With consideration to the Laws of Thermodynamics and the biochemical metabolic pathways of carbohydrate oxidation and storage; can you please explain to me in detail how carbohydrate intake can effect body weight/composition in a way that negates basic energy balance?

Please respond.

According to your BB.com profile you are 19 so I'm curious as to what, exactly, makes you the expert? P.S......loved the thread on there where you're bragging about trolling on here!! I also love it when people rob banks and hand the teller their I.D.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    According to your BB.com profile you are 19 so I'm curious as to what, exactly, makes you the expert? P.S......loved the thread on there where you're bragging about trolling!! I also love it when people rob banks and hand the teller their I.D.
    Because he has the mental capacity to read and absorb scientific literature.

The basis of our understanding of the natural world, including nutrition, is scientific research. Where do you think doctors, dieticians, nutritionists, etc. are *supposedly* getting their information from? You think there's a giant textbook with the answers to all questions?

You can read a bunch of scientific research that looks at the efficacy of low-carb diets, and be AS EDUCATED AS YOUR DOCTOR when it comes to such matters.

Mind-blowing, isn't it?
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Please respond.

According to your BB.com profile you are 19 so I'm curious as to what, exactly, makes you the expert? P.S......loved the thread on there where you're bragging about trolling on here!! I also love it when people rob banks and hand the teller their I.D.

You do realize that questioning someone's age as it relates to the specifics of their argument is fallacious, yes? I don't know that I have a dog in this particular fight (I had mine yesterday), but it would be nice if people actually used logic.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

Depending on how you define LOW, I actually think that one of the advantages of low carb diets is that they're easier to stick to. In this case when I say low I mean 50-100g of carbs per day. What I've found personally is that eating in this carb range has forced me to eat a lot more vegetables, which allows me to feel less deprived under restricted caloric intake. Eating calorie dense high-carb foods that don't make you full when you're restricting calories, means you have to hardly eat anything. I've done that. The approach I have now allows me to feel full (often stuffed) after meals, and I also stay full longer. For me this has been the biggest benefit to restricting my carbs, or more specifically, restricting my grain intake.

that's great that that works FOR YOU. All micro- & macronutrients play a part in the human diet. Some people's diet and training calls for it at certain times while others don't.
  • HunterCML
    Options

Please respond.

Age is not relevant to how much knowledge someone has. I have probably spent more time reading peer reviewed scholarly journal articles and educating myself on scientific nutritional truths than you have read anything in your entire life.

Also, if you would have read the thread on BB.com, you have realized that "trolling" is not the correct word and that we are assembling peer reviewed scholarly articles in order to help educated the unaware on this website.

One more thing, I like how you took a legitimate question by me and instead of answering (which I'm sure you can't), you just decided to call me out on my age?

Lets stay relevant to the topic. Please, I'm awaiting your response to my initial question.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I think it's great that you've found something that works for you, but it's very off topic as to what research has shown to work best for healthy people long term.

Personally, what works for me to worry more about whether my food is healthy and I'm getting a good variety. I don't pick foods based on the carb, protein or fat content but I make sure to get each of these things. I ran reports the other day and found that I average 76 g protein and 146 g carbs per day over the past 30 days, but the range was pretty wide. But that is still off topic and fairly meaningless when talking about the majority.
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Wow....bet the original poster was glad he/she asked that simple question. I guess I prefer the simplified way of looking at things...common sense...calories in/calories out, no high processed or junkie carbs, lower fat. Yes...I've done the extreme low carbing, successfully, but I can't maintain that for life...but it makes me mindful that carbs do count.

To the OP.....the simple answers in the beginning of the thread, probably address your concerns. A few carbs over, I wouldn't stress over, unless you stop losing. I don't have a lot of scientific mumbo jumbo to offer you, because i'm just a girl, in the midwest, trying to lose some weight. I subscribed to K.I.S.S. ....because....well....there is more to life's journey...than this....

Good Luck
    Dee
  • Drunkadelic
    Options

Please respond.

Well since you were so rude about it, I guess I'll have to.

Do you actually know how insulin works? I'm going to try and explain this as simple (and as short) as I can for the benefit of everyone.

When you eat carbohydrates they get broken down into glucose molecules. When you body senses glucose, insulin is secreted to help you either use those glucose molecules or to store them later. The more carbohydrates you eat, the more insulin is secreted. Okay, insulin signals your cells that glucose is available and ready to use and then through those fancy biochemical pathways, the glucose gets transferred into the cell for use. When all of your cells have had enough glucose, those insulin cells signal your liver to turn the glucose molecules in to fatty acids to be stored in, that's right, fat cells.

Okay, great right? You eat too many carbohydrates, your body stores the access as fat. We all knew that. But there is more to the story...

At the fat cell wall, there is an enzyme called lipoprotein lipase (LPL). LPL tells the fatty acids to enter the fat cell to be stored as fat. Inside the fat cell there is another enzyme called hormone sensitive lipase (HSL) which releases the fatty acids from the fat cells to be used as energy. OKAY - both of these enzymes are sensitive to the presence (or absence) of insulin. When insulin is present, LPL is signaled to start storing fat. When insulin is low/absent, HSL is signaled to start releasing stored fat for energy.

That's a bare bones explanation and it's all from memory. I don't discount that you have to eat less than you burn to lose weight, but I've read at least 5 studies that show people on a low carbohydrate diet lose more weight than people on a low fat diet of the same caloric level.

And I lost weight while still eating over 300g of carbs a day. I mean, yea it's possible. BUT I was ALWAYS hungry. Now that I keep my carbs reasonable (between 50-100g) and have added more fat to my diet, I am in way more control of my hunger and feel very satisfied with 1500 calories a day, and I can live with 1200. I would have chewed off my arm before if I was only eating 1200 calories (plus intense exercise).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Makes you wonder why the twinkie and potato diet made people more insulin sensitive........they lost weight eating mostly carbs and improved their insulin sensitivity and improved their lipid profiles...........mind boggling.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Well since you were so rude about it, I guess I'll have to.

Do you actually know how insulin works? I'm going to try and explain this as simple (and as short) as I can for the benefit of everyone.

When you eat carbohydrates they get broken down into glucose molecules. When you body senses glucose, insulin is secreted to help you either use those glucose molecules or to store them later. The more carbohydrates you eat, the more insulin is secreted. Okay, insulin signals your cells that glucose is available and ready to use and then through those fancy biochemical pathways, the glucose gets transferred into the cell for use. When all of your cells have had enough glucose, those insulin cells signal your liver to turn the glucose molecules in to fatty acids to be stored in, that's right, fat cells.
    Two questions:

1) Do you know what glycogen is?
    2) Can you define de novo lipogenesis?