Hubby vent

Replies

• Was taking in some clothes last night and hubby brings his pants down to hem them. No problem! THen he proceeds to start playing with his new helicopter he just bought. #3 in less than a month for a total of $500. I wish I could buy new clothes since mine don't look too hot after taking them in so much. I could get a whole new wardrobe for $500! He even told me he was going to buy me a new wardrobe. I guess I just fell down a little lower on the totem pole! I think I'm making a shopping trip this weekend.

You go girl! Do what you gotta do!!! You deserve it!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    <
    I just bought these boots 30 minutes ago.

I don't feel guilty.

The boy can kiss my hot boot wearing feet.

^^Love^^. and AGREE.
  • You think?! Uh uh... YOU WILL! I'm married, I keep track of all finances & my husband knows better than to go spending even $20 on something without telling me first. & if we go "shopping" we all [Hubby, son, & I] buy the same amount..not any more, great if it's less..I may sound "cheap" but we're trying I buy our first home & a penny is a penny. Lol! Anyhow, enjoy YOUR shopping spree this weekend, you darn well deserve it & more!
  • You think?! Uh uh... YOU WILL! I'm married, I keep track of all finances & my husband knows better than to go spending even $20 on something without telling me first. & if we go "shopping" we all [Hubby, son, & I] buy the same amount..not any more, great if it's less..I may sound "cheap" but we're trying I buy our first home & a penny is a penny. Lol! Anyhow, enjoy YOUR shopping spree this weekend, you darn well deserve it & more!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Absolutely, go buy new clothes! Especially if you not at your goal yet, it's not like you're going to go blow $500-- that's a lot of clothes. 2-300 can buy you a whole new, cute wardrobe if you're thrifty about it! Ross and TJ Maxx, and Marshalls all over great style at good prices. And thrift/consignment stores... You deserve to feel comfortable in your clothes.

My Mom always taught me needs versus wants... You weigh on the wants, and you purchase the needs as needed. Clothes that fit you and make you more comfortable are a definite NEED.
  • longoverdue
    longoverdue Posts: 57 Member
    BUMP! I have to show my husband this LOL
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Who needs hubby's permission? Go shopping!

My thoughts exactly!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    My hubby kept buying stuff for his computer, which I call his silicon sweetie. I finally told him that, in the future, for every dollar spent on the computer, I will spend an equal amount on whatever I see fit. This has worked just fine. He buys a new hard drive, I spend and equal amount on whatever. If we can't afford both, then we can't afford either!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Trust me, the majority of men have no idea what the finances are. They hand their check to their wife and wait for an allowance.
    Go shopping, but let him know that's what you're going to do. Most men would say "Uh, Okay."

My husband and I have individual accounts and a household account. We have direct deposit of funds into the household account to cover monthly bills and a little extra to cover any other incidentals and such.

The remainder of each of our checks is deposited into our own account so I don't complain when he makes purchases and vice versa.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    You think?! Uh uh... YOU WILL! I'm married, I keep track of all finances & my husband knows better than to go spending even $20 on something without telling me first. & if we go "shopping" we all [Hubby, son, & I] buy the same amount..not any more, great if it's less..I may sound "cheap" but we're trying I buy our first home & a penny is a penny. Lol! Anyhow, enjoy YOUR shopping spree this weekend, you darn well deserve it & more!

It sounds like a very controlling relationship to me personally.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    My husband and I have individual accounts and a household account. We have direct deposit of funds into the household account to cover monthly bills and a little extra to cover any other incidentals and such.

The remainder of each of our checks is deposited into our own account so I don't complain when he makes purchases and vice versa.

Same here. Joint accounts for savings and to pay the bills then separate accounts for personal money. We make roughly the same salary and neither of us are irresponsible spenders so it works for us.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Trust me, the majority of men have no idea what the finances are. They hand their check to their wife and wait for an allowance.
    Go shopping, but let him know that's what you're going to do. Most men would say "Uh, Okay."

Guess marriage is different to others...

Why have individual accounts? I'd like to know where OUR money goes because we are MARRIED. Not sure where people think its an individual thing when two become one.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Most men don't buy clothes for "fun". We buy toys. $500 on helicopters? How about $500 on just shoes? Not to discredit your vent, but trying to understand what appeals to individuals will be a never ending debate.

She just lost 60 pounds....I think it is safe to say she isn't just "doing it for fun". The women NEEDS clothing as I can't imagine hers fit anymore. If I lost 60 pounds, I wouldnt fit in a single pair of pants or skirt.

You missed her gripe...He spends $500 on something he doesn't need (helicopters in this case). She has spent $0 on something she needs (clothing in this case). See her dilemma?

If you can afford it....DEFINITELY go shopping, you need too!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Mine bought himself a new gun and hid it in the basement for a week so I didn't know he'd spent the money on it.

Consider yourself lucky.

A parently you have not heard of the 48 hour rule:

"This rule was established on March 5, 2002 and is as follows: As a reward for a fellow sneaking new and inexpensive toys into the Crisis Center (garage) and also escaping any female wrath that might accrue from said purchase, the fellow may make up any story he wishes after 48 hours regarding the acquisition. In other words, she gets 48 hours to notice the purchase and complain. If she misses her window, you are home free. "This old thing," you might say, when, after a week, she finally does notice, "that thing has been here since July."
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Mine bought himself a new gun and hid it in the basement for a week so I didn't know he'd spent the money on it.

Consider yourself lucky.

"This rule was established on March 5, 2002 and is as follows: As a reward for a fellow sneaking new and inexpensive toys into the Crisis Center (garage) and also escaping any female wrath that might accrue from said purchase, the fellow may make up any story he wishes after 48 hours regarding the acquisition. In other words, she gets 48 hours to notice the purchase and complain. If she misses her window, you are home free. "This old thing," you might say, when, after a week, she finally does notice, "that thing has been here since July."

AHA!!! That makes so much more sense now.

I wondered why the heck he hid it in the basement.

Like I care if the man has a new gun. :huh:
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member

Why have individual accounts? I'd like to know where OUR money goes because we are MARRIED. Not sure where people think its an individual thing when two become one.

If you see 'everything', there is zero element of surprise. What if he pre-ordered flowers for you? What if you bought him a new <insert item here he is interested in>? Birthdays? Anniversarys? Weekend Unplanned Getaways?

If an equal amount (based on how much someone is paid) is contributed to the household fund, why should it matter that someone wants to spend all of their portion going out to eat and the other wants to buy sports equipment?
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    My fiance is always b uying overpriced cleaning supplies, soaps, perfumes, this stupid swiffer wet jet thing... it makes her happy.
  • jeannec3631
    jeannec3631 Posts: 108 Member
    so glad i don't have to check with anyone anymore! i can't wait to enjoy clothes shopping again!!!! :love:
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Hop aboard one of those helicopters and high tail it to your local mall! Do not pass sewing machine on your way. He sounds like my hubby, except mine likes really expensive mountain bikes. He gets a newer model every year or so...go get some clothes! You deserve them!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Drop the needle. Stop being so frugal and toss out the clothes! lol It is time to shop. IT IS TIME.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    i read so many posts like this one, and every single husband rant/vent makes me feel even more lucky to be with the man im marrying. I told greg last week that we needed groceries and i need heavier plates for the barbell. He spent over $100 on MY groceries that he doesnt like, and said id have to wait a week for the plates. I consider myself unbelievably fortunate that my hubby, 6 years into our relationship, still thinks im sexy, opens doors and carries "heavy"things (i deadlift 135 but he thinks a gallon of milk is too much for me), still says thank you when i bring him dinner or do his laundry, and would likely bring me the moon if i asked him. Im sorry to those of you whose husbands arent the prince charming daily which we women deserve, and i hope they find their shining armor for you gals soon!
  • Well, we have a great deal of debt that I have been tackling, but I am so angry after all this I really want to go buy new clothes. I think I may go spend about $300 this weekend and not feel guilty.

It's his debt too. He shouldn't spend $500 on helicopters when you have debt. He needs to downgrade his hobby. Simple as that. You actually need clothes due to your weight loss. It's not like you're being a brat or diva.

Hopefully, your husband's just really clueless and he thinks you enjoy altering your clothing. Time for him to make good on buying you a new wardrobe. You didn't say when he said he would buy you clothes so he might be thinking it's a long way off. Tell him you want it now. Don't let him make excuses. Do it.
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member

Consider yourself lucky.

I am a frugal person but when it comes to my ferrets I am far from frugal and I have actually used that rule, lmao.
    Now I feel bad :P

On another note- why does that sound like something Barney (from How I met your Mother) would say if he ever got into a serious relationship? As I read that in my head I heard his voice saying it
  • Statsol
    Statsol Posts: 28 Member
    Well, we have a great deal of debt that I have been tackling,

I think he has a problem. You sound like you have been doing so well with both your weight and trying not to spend more money since you have debt. Then your husband buys those geeky helicopters!

More spending is not the answer. He needs to be more appreciative and get on board with your efforts.
  • Mine bought himself a new gun and hid it in the basement for a week so I didn't know he'd spent the money on it.

Consider yourself lucky.

I am a frugal person but when it comes to my ferrets I am far from frugal and I have actually used that rule, lmao.

On another note- why does that sound like something Barney (from How I met your Mother) would say if he ever got into a serious relationship? As I read that in my head I heard his voice saying it

LMAO!!! I can so see Barney saying that!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member

If you see 'everything', there is zero element of surprise. What if he pre-ordered flowers for you? What if you bought him a new <insert item here he is interested in>? Birthdays? Anniversarys? Weekend Unplanned Getaways?

If an equal amount (based on how much someone is paid) is contributed to the household fund, why should it matter that someone wants to spend all of their portion going out to eat and the other wants to buy sports equipment?

It's called cash...it doesn't always have to be credit cards, debit cards, etc.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Hey, i let my wife buy a new sewing machine when I got my Harley...thats fair right?
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member

Consider yourself lucky.

Well this rule comes from a local radio show called "Garage Logic", here are some other rules:

50-50-90 Rule If the husband has a 50-50 chance of being right, there's a 90 percent chance he'll be wrong.

B as in B, S as in S A Garage Logician's comment on just about anything that's not Garage Logical.

C.I. (Cylinder Index) The total number of internal combustion cylinders in your possession. (vehicles, gas powered equipment, marine and aviation all qualify). If it is less than your age, move on to Euphoria.

C.P. (Chief Procurer) Wife, individual who is in charge of supplies at home

Common Surface, Savings, and Loan Any surface where you find money which you deem to be located on a common surface area. The money collected from these surfaces is added to a GLer's personal coin stash. Examples of Common Surface: Coins in couches, under the table, in the washing machine, on the ironing board, cars, and bathrooms. This does not include someone's private desktop or nightstand.

Crisis Center All Good GLers consider this the garage!

Cylinder Index Tasking Priority When your wife gives you a TO DO list, those jobs requiring the use of internal combustion engies will receive the highest priority. The more cylinders, the higher the priority.

D.A. (Domestic Associate) Refers to Patrick Reusse's wife.

End of the World A preface for describing an incredibly moronic event or situation

FFLF (Female Fun Limitation Factor) When a woman asks "Do you really think you should be doing that?"

Goin' In Making a project so thoroughly and unnecessarily complicated that pretty soon there is no end to it. EXAMPLE: putting a new light on the porch becomes a 3rd stall addition to the garage.

Moron Chip A miss-firing of brain synapses that results in unbelievable stupidity.

MRLF (Male Romance Limitation Factor) When a man seems to always ruin the most romantic of moments.

Mysterians Any activist, Euphorian, or suspect person who attempts to bring about the mystery.

Plate Management (or Heap Management) Every good GLer practices excellent plate management. This means at a function, one piles up as much food on the plate without spilling . . . i.e. a shrimp wall or a meatloaf blockade. There are different etiquette practices for a family function versus a black tie charitable function.

Rainman It Going beyond the call of duty and sticking with the project till it's done while knowing full well that it drives the mayor crazy. Think of Dustin Hoffman's character in the movie Rainman.

Real Mechanical Value of a Task (or the RMV) A guy fixes something on the car in three minutes he can't admit that. He has to time the value of the task and maybe drink a few beers and watch TV in the garage and only then go in the house and say that the job is done.

S.C.U.M - Sensitive Caring Urban Male Describing a male Garage Logician.

SPEC This term is used to describe a low cylinder vehicle with high fuel conservation to help promote eco-sensitivity. This vehicle comes equipped with a heater that doesn't work, an inside ice scraper for the windshield, & a pair of choppers. A prematurely gray haired Euphorian with a stocking cap pulled over the ears is usually seen driving this type of vehicle.
    Sudden Insanity Syndrome (S.I.S) Describes an individual who just suddenly snaps.

The Look The expression one gets from one's spouse when one does something incredibly moronic. Women are born with a natural ability to give "the look," but men can acquire ability over time.

The Mystery To a GLer, it sometimes seems as if there are two Americas, one that GLers understand and one that compels GLers to wish each other "Good Luck." (see Good Luck definition).

Three Prices You Pay Syndrome 1 - The price you paid for the item. 2 - The price you tell her you paid for the item. 3 - The price you pay when she finds out the price you paid.

U.S.S. Common Sense GL's official boat craft that sails over the waters of Euphoria in search of citizens with common sense.

WD-40 Official cologne of GL.
  • jbrautigam24
    jbrautigam24 Posts: 39 Member
    Do you contribute to your household- either financially or around the house? I'm sure the answer is YES to either both or one of those at least. I'd say screw it, and GO SHOPPING!! You deserve it! Way to go with your weight loss!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    i read so many posts like this one, and every single husband rant/vent makes me feel even more lucky to be with the man im marrying. I told greg last week that we needed groceries and i need heavier plates for the barbell. He spent over $100 on MY groceries that he doesnt like, and said id have to wait a week for the plates. I consider myself unbelievably fortunate that my hubby, 6 years into our relationship, still thinks im sexy, opens doors and carries "heavy"things (i deadlift 135 but he thinks a gallon of milk is too much for me), still says thank you when i bring him dinner or do his laundry, and would likely bring me the moon if i asked him. Im sorry to those of you whose husbands arent the prince charming daily which we women deserve, and i hope they find their shining armor for you gals soon!

Mine too :)

High five! We scored!
This discussion has been closed.