Do you have separate bank accounts or pool your money?

Options
1235»

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    i have a feeling if we had a joint account I would buy alot more stuff . . .
    LOL I know I will.
    :blushing:
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have a joint account, and have had it since we got engaged 5 years ago. She is a SAHM and I do not treat my paycheck as "my" money, it is both of ours. Same goes for any outside money that I may receive from my dad or anyone else, it is all both of ours.

I actually have to force her to spend money on herself since her dad had the mentality that all of the money was his and only his.

True story. I hate spending money on myself. :P
  • albayin
    Options
    My wife and I have a joint account, and have had it since we got engaged 5 years ago. She is a SAHM and I do not treat my paycheck as "my" money, it is both of ours. Same goes for any outside money that I may receive from my dad or anyone else, it is all both of ours.

I actually have to force her to spend money on herself since her dad had the mentality that all of the money was his and only his.

Forgive me but why? I want to know how it feels to hate spending money on one self. I'm totally opposite. :(
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    We have a joint account and always have. I pay all the bills. My husband is horrible with that type of thing. I just let him know how much money we have in the account after bills are paid and if he wants to make a purchase that he thinks is a higher amount (typically $40 or more) he always checks with me first to make sure we have the money in the bank to be able to afford it or if he needs to wait until we get paid again.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Forgive me but why? I want to know how it feels to hate spending money on one self. I'm totally opposite. :(

The way I grew up it was you shouldn't want anything or what have you done to deserve anything? It's hard for me to break that mentality. So now I think, "Well what have I done to deserve that?" Nothing. Okay then, problem solved. I also have a hard time with thinking about what else could be done with that money. Instead of buying something for me could I used it towards our son or my husband or anything like that.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think the ultimate answer is that couples have to do what works for them. My wife and I have always had joint accounts because that is what works for us. We discussed it before getting married (20 years ago) and neither of us understood the idea of having separate accounts any more than we understood pre-nuptial agreements (and still don't.) But that's just us. If it works for other people then that's great for them and I would not encourage them to change what works for them. As with most things, there is no one "right" answer for everyone.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    one account, although next time he deploys we decided to get him a "spendign" account because it was hard to communicate as much as needed about paying bills
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am single and keep multiple accounts. This will never change.

This is me. Single, multiple accounts. (more than 2).
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    We have joint accounts, are you kidding!? I couldn't wait to get my hands on my husband's money! :laugh:

I kid, I kid.....kind of :wink:

My husband loves to tell the story how the day after we got back from our honeymoon I went to his bank and filled out all the necessary paperwork. When he got home from work that night I said "everything is all set for me to be on your accounts, you just have to go sign." I wasted NO time!

Now I'm a SAHM so my bank account would be non-existent. And my hubby is such a good sport about my shopping problem :drinker:
  • avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    No accounts. I have my side of the mattress and she has hers.
  • albayin
    Options
    No accounts. I have my side of the mattress and she has hers.
    Cash is king!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    One love, one life, one checkbook. Period.