Is it true ladies...

Options
124»

Replies

• Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    That when we're on our period we can consume an extra 500 calories? I heard this rumour today and was wondering if it is true?

Sally

That sounds more like 'breastfeeding' numbers than menstruation. Considering the amount of work required to create milk vs 'shed lining', I would say it's false.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    My college roommate always insisted her doctor told her that. I don't believe it and definitely would not eat 500 extra calories. I guess I'm lucky- other than some mild cramps I've never had all these symptoms women are always talking about. I never gain weight or get bloated, I don't crave anything, I'm not more tired, I don't feel like I'm irritable or having mood swings, but maybe I just don't notice, haha.
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Pregnant women can consume an extra 500 calories a day... doubt that someone on their period can.
    I would look it up on WebMD or something similar.
    Also, nursing mothers only need about 500 extra calories a day so honestly those things are much more labor intensive on your body than your monthly cycle...
  • lloydmel
    Options
    My college roommate always insisted her doctor told her that. I don't believe it and definitely would not eat 500 extra calories. I guess I'm lucky- other than some mild cramps I've never had all these symptoms women are always talking about. I never gain weight or get bloated, I don't crave anything, I'm not more tired, I don't feel like I'm irritable or having mood swings, but maybe I just don't notice, haha.
    YOU ARE LUCKY!
    I have had the worst PMS symptoms ever since I was a teenager...
    I'm sure you are a wonderful person but you are making it hard for people like me to like you right now... lol :laugh:
  • lloydmel
    Options
    I do whatever the fack I want when I'm on my period and you best stay out of the goddamn way. LOL!!!!!!!
    I think you have gotten the MOST quoted replies EVER... especially for a 3 page post... BAHA
    Straight up hilarious!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I know someone on here said you burn an extra 300 a day and someone else corrected them to say it's more like 300 for the whole luteal phase... either way, 500 a day is a rather high number especially when compared to BFing and stuff..

I do find the end of my period seems to jump start things by a pound or so. But I'd rather (TRY) to stick to it and get that jump start than assume I can go over and possibly end up gaining instead.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Pregnant women can consume an extra 500 calories a day... doubt that someone on their period can.
    I would look it up on WebMD or something similar.
    Also, nursing mothers only need about 500 extra calories a day so honestly those things are much more labor intensive on your body than your monthly cycle...

Even pregnant women don't need that much extra. Generally it's an extra 200 cals per day in the first trimester and then a bit more later on. But ppl should check with their doctor on that in each specific case.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I do whatever the fack I want when I'm on my period and you best stay out of the goddamn way. LOL!!!!!!!

AMEN! ;)
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you burn more too, but how much, who knows?
  • servilia
    Options
    Am J Clin Nutr. 1982 Oct;36(4):611-6.

Menstrual cycle and basal metabolic rate in women.

Solomon SJ, Kurzer MS, Calloway DH.

Abstract

Basal metabolic rate, resting metabolic rate (RMR), and energy cost of selected activities were measured in six healthy young women who were participating in a study of protein requirements. The women were confined to a metabolic unit for 92 days during which they consumed a defined formula diet. The basal metabolic rate of the women was 20.7 +/- 2.6 kcal/kg body weight/day and the caloric requirement for maintenance of weight was 38.7 kcal/kg body weight/day. Basal metabolic rate varied significantly with the menstrual cycle. Basal metabolic rate decreased at menstruation and fell to its lowest point approximately 1 wk before ovulation subsequently rising until the beginning of the next menstrual period. RMR was 0.99 +/- 0.16 kcal/kg/h. The energy expenditure while sitting was 1.06 times RMR, while walking it was 2.81 times RMR, and while performing treadmill exercise it was 3.47 times RMR.

It actually FALLS during menstruation. As I mentioned, it starts increasing around ovulation. Here it says it starts rising 1 week before ovulation, which in most women is approx one week AFTER your period starts. And then metabolism slows back down during your period.
  • calamitydown
    Options
    my mom says it's true that you burn extra calories on your period. it's obviously not a set number and can vary from person to person. i believe she mentioned that around 200 extra can be expended?

[btw, my mom is a physician (of over twenty years) and graduated at the top of her class at university of seattle. she knows her **** :D]
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    10602374.jpg
  • servilia
    Options
    No, it's not true. Peer reviewed research studies disagree with your mommy.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    my mom says it's true that you burn extra calories on your period. it's obviously not a set number and can vary from person to person. i believe she mentioned that around 200 extra can be expended?

[btw, my mom is a physician (of over twenty years) and graduated at the top of her class at university of seattle. she knows her **** :D]

Could you have your mom convince my body of that? I'd love a couple hundred extra calories for a free a few days each month. Sadly, the data that shows my caloric burn on a day to day (minute to minute) basis doesn't show me burning at any higher of a rate at any point randomly throughout the month, during my period, just before my period, or just after my period. I always burn an average of 1 calorie per minute while sitting on my *kitten* doing nothing, no matter what time of the month it is.
  • calamitydown
    Options
    funny how people don't tend to read the part i posted that says "it can vary from person to person". some people can intake upwards of 400-500 extra, some people might not need any addition. i've burned extra while on my period and have had success with an extra calorie intake of about 200. i trust a physician of over 20 years who has never been wrong with a diagnosis (i'm serious, it's kind of crazy) more than one peer study. (i might sound biased, but i trust what i've seen!)

...just like the whole "birth control doesn't make you gain weight" thing. there have been multiple studies saying it does not, but many people i know (myself included) have gained weight on it. just because a study has been interpreted one way does NOT mean it's 100% factual (especially when said studies are funded by drug companies).
  • servilia
    Options
    Hon it's way more than one study. But whatever makes you happy.