Protein before or after workout? Both?

Options
13»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Burd NA et al. Enhanced amino acid sensitivity of myofibrillar protein synthesis persists for up to 24 h after resistance exercise in young men. J Nutr. 2011 Apr 1;141(4):568-73. Epub 2011 Feb 2.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

and whey isn't fast "dissolving" it's fast absorbing, just sayin...
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Haha bro fight. Refreshing to read vs the cat fights
  • Eswelker
    Options
    Thanks for all the informative replies everyone!! Didn't mean to stir up anything, but I sure do love to hear all the opinions out there!! Sure would be boring if we all thought alike. I guess best rule of thumb is to just listen to my own body, and make sure I get in all my nutrients etc.. I will check out all the great resources that you guys have listed out there and do my own research and decide!! Thank you again!!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the informative replies everyone!! Didn't mean to stir up anything, but I sure do love to hear all the opinions out there!! Sure would be boring if we all thought alike. I guess best rule of thumb is to just listen to my own body, and make sure I get in all my nutrients etc.. I will check out all the great resources that you guys have listed out there and do my own research and decide!! Thank you again!!

Three words will start fights on these forums: Carbs, Protein, and Water.

You can intensify those exchanges by adding: "zero-carb"..."protein window" and "diuretic" into the mix

One day I'm going to start a thread with all 6 and watch it explode

:)
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    SInce ya'll like the internet here is a little article I found for you guys :)

ANABOLIC WINDOW™
    Post-Workout Muscle Fuel

After you train, muscle growth cannot begin until your muscles have been properly nourished. Sport nutritionists have known for years that macronutrients like proteins, carbs, and essential fats are needed within 30 minutes of training to maximize muscle tissue repair and glycogen replenishment. This period of time is so important that it’s been called the post workout "window of opportunity". During these 30 post-workout minutes, the metabolic machinery in your body is primed and ready to suck up the nutrients needed to build muscle density. You can let your body slowly recover or you can force your body into a rapid anabolic recovery mode by using the ANABOLIC WINDOW immediately after you throw down the weights! This post-workout muscle fuel will help speed up the recovery and growth process to ensure that all that time you’ve spent in the gym hasn’t been wasted. If you want to bounce back quicker, get stronger, and build bigger muscles faster than ever ,then eating a little carbs with some protein during your ANABOLIC WINDOW is the clear choice.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    fark i love these threads.

lol, 30-60 minutes. i love it.

So it just Switches off? Just like that?

And when im asleep too?

can someone explain why I'm not getting weaker then?
    Just ate 1300 cals' for lunch. probably wont eat again for another 6 hours.

OH NO! my muscles are going to disintergrate!!!

Stop worrying about the little numbers.

Bro.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    glenr79: Do you work for these guys? http://www.t-nation.com/store/
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    if you don't believe me look up the 30-60 minute post workout anabolic window.

Didn't actually read the whole thread but I noticed the above. This has actually been largely disproven. As long as you're hitting your end of day targets you have somewhere in the 48-72 hour ballpark, which basically makes post workout nutrition irrelevant as far as trying to maximize protein synthesis.

That being said, if you are performing mutliple glycogen depleting events in the same day, then glycogen replenishment could mandate specific meal timing.

Just chiming in when I saw the 30 min anabolic window. I'll go back and read the thread now.

EDIT: I'll be damned, I was wrong-- according to the abstract that was posted up above by guy with better abs than me, it's 24 hours. I thought I recalled Alan talking about a supercompensation effect beyond that but I could be talking out of my *kitten* at that point. Guess I'll go see if I can find that post....
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Hi! I just started working out 2 weeks ago, (6 x wk) and I have been drinking a no-carb protein drink before I go workout. I seem to have enough energy for my 60 mins. cardio and my strength training. I was just wondering, is a protein drink with some carbs in it better for me to workout with? And am I supposed to be eating or drinking more protein right after a workout or not? Or is is just personal preference. Just wondering.....thanks.

Hi there! Congrats on your new training.

As far as pre and post workout nutrition is concerned: You should choose whatever allows you to perform your best in the gym. If you are NOT using a fasted training protocol, which I assume you aren't, then I wouldn't worry at all about post workout nutrition as far as the specific timing or macronutrient breakdown.

It is critical that you hit your end of day goals as far as calories/prot/fat, and a protein drink may help you reach this goal. Just be sure to log the calories/macros of whatever drink (or food) you choose.

Some people prefer to eat first, some perform best fasted. I can do both but my preference is fasted training.

EDIT: As far as adding carbs to your shake, if you feel like you perform fine without the carbs, then don't bother.
  • simber79
    simber79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    lol you are freaken hillarious... I have a degree, I am not just someone that makes up things like you... Master's degree in exercise SCIENCE>..... sorry that you just listen to hear say :)
    It is best drank right after working out.. you have a 30 to 60 minute window to ingest some protein!! The best kind to get is Whey Protein because it is fast dissolving and it can go inside those broken down muscles and hurry up and go to work! If you wait until after the 60 min window you won't see as good of results.. also make sure it has some carbs in it.. Carbohydrates help deliver the protein to the muscle.. .Also during the workout you used carbs for energy, so you need to replace your glycogen stores (carbs) for the next day when you work out again! You can do some protein before, but is better after.....
    Hi! I just started working out 2 weeks ago, (6 x wk) and I have been drinking a no-carb protein drink before I go workout. I seem to have enough energy for my 60 mins. cardio and my strength training. I was just wondering, is a protein drink with some carbs in it better for me to workout with? And am I supposed to be eating or drinking more protein right after a workout or not? Or is is just personal preference. Just wondering.....thanks.

Glen every time someone makes a thread like this, you post the same broscience and people still correct you on it. I know I have atleast 10 times.

Meal timing is IRRELEVANT. It does not matter when you get your macronutrients as long as you get them in the 24 hour anabolic window.

Do I really need to quote Alan Aragon himself regarding this? I know I've done it enough that people are tired of hearing it.

My trainer at World's Gym told me the exact same thing (drink a protein shake 30-60 min after a vigorous workout). ;)
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    \My trainer at World's Gym told me the exact same thing (drink a protein shake 30-60 min after a vigorous workout). ;)

I believe it! Unfortunately PT work isn't like medical science where there are requirements to stay up to date on information. MOST trainers will still push meal timing every 3 hours, and specific post workout nutrition, because in the 90's it was a huge thing, and because doing these things isn't harmful, they will still make progress with their clients. This is why they don't see any obligation to stay up to date.

(The supplement industry likely played a huge role in pushing these myths as it directly benefits them).

If what they do works, they must be correct, right?

The problem with things like meal timing and specific protein doses at specific intervals, is that while it may work, NOT doing it will also work equally as well provided your end of day nutrition is on point and you can still perform adequately.

But by NOT making people do it, you are not restricting them.

This is why it's important to clarify these myths, and this is also why someone with a PT lisence or a "nutritionist" doesn't necessarily mean they will give you up to date information.
  • purplebabe2025
    purplebabe2025 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    What can I say. Information within banter. Loving it . . .
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering, is a protein drink with some carbs in it better for me to workout with?

Check out this article: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-310-7771-0,00.html

It's about runner's diets; specifically about how casual runners can gain weight because they hear about "carb loading" and eat the same way elite distance runners do; we don't need that many carbs. It has great tips on what you actually should be eating and when.

EDIT: I just realized I have no idea if you're running as your cardio. Also I have no idea whether extra carbs would be beneficial to a strength-training workout. I don't claim to be a doctor, have a masters in "Exercise Science," or any of that. I just know that I made the mistake of adding carbs on "run" days when I first started running, and once I stopped doing that I dropped weight faster.
    Carry on. :)