Weight loss tips that are helping me and i want to share

Options

Replies

• annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    For me, saying no to junk food is hard... so I don't! I just have a small amount, log it, and move on. When I feel deprived, that's when the real temptation sets in... so don't deprive yourself. You can have one scoop of ice cream or a mini snickers, and still survive the day... really!

I like the tip you had for smaller portions. If its on my plate, I'm going to eat it... so give yourself half of what you think you want... you can always get more if it turns out not to be enough! There is no famine, no food shortage. NO hoarding! It really takes very little to satisfy hunger... most of what we eat is just because its already on the plate. Oh, and buy yourself a really pretty small bowl and plate. I have a princess plate! Yep, that's right... princess. Make it something nice so you feel special... I laughed out load at the prison tray comment above! Make the experience enjoyable. This isn't supposed to be miserable.

Please quit smoking! Nothing good can come from it. Most people are afraid of gaining weight when they smoke... but give your body a huge gift and quit. You will feel so much better (and your face won't wrinkle as soon!).... I quit 15 years ago and my tip is don't drink alcohol while you are quitting! Nothing screams "I need a cigarette!" like a bottle of beer! So just quit both together!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    If your eating smaller portions why do you still need to leave some on the plate?

I could do all others except leaving some on plate cos we were always expected to eat everything on plate before we could be excused or have pudding if there was one. As our parents used to remind us, there's starving children in Africa,if we didn't finish our dinner!

I just do a smaller portion that excludes what I might have to leave from a larger portion!
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    quality not quantity
  • Nicolene021282
    Options
    I gave up smoking about four years ago and then started smoking socially again. I gave up this habit a month ago. A few things that helped me was to drink green tea when I craved a cigaret. I told myself that the tea is detoxing me so why reverse the effect by smoking. I also just read up on how disgusting the habit really was, that was a great motivator!

The hardest part on loosing weight is that people around me don't respect it. I don't have any support from my friends who know I'm on a diet and then bring me cupcakes. (They know this is a addiction!)Or my BF forgetting that I'm calorie counting and suggesting we order pizza.... that's actually happened two nights in a row! :smile:

I think to reach your goals you need a really good support system.
  • leanne2376
    Options
    I think to reach your goals you need a really good support system.
  • joann852
    joann852 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1 and 5 are hardest for me. I've been trying to read at night instead of raiding the fridge.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    What's working for me:

1. I log everything before I eat it, makes me think about if I realy need the calories

2. I cut way back on processed sugar - I read labels like crazy and try to avoid anything with a lotof sugart. I don't miss sugar at all and don't get sugar crashes anymore. The only sugar I eat comes from fruit. I eat apples and bananas every day.

3, Switched to whole grains - I feel fuller and just plain better after eating them

4. I drink a cup of green tea before lunch and dinner

5. Cut way back on eating out in restaurants - easier to control what I eat when I prepare it

6. Everything I prepare is fresh, no processed foods - nothing from a box or can

7. Exercise every day even if it's just a 15 minute walk around the block

8. Stopped salting everything - there are plenty of other herbs and spices out there that are incredible

9. I drink lots of water

10. Gave up wine - as much as I enjoy it, the calories aren't worth it. Not so much the calories in a glass of wine, but the extra calories I tend to eat when I drink wine.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of those are necessary for losing weight.

I second this. You said they are helping you, and that's great! But they aren't golden rules for everyone. Just keep that calorie deficit and you can have fast food, have large portions, eat everything on your plate, eat late at night etc. As long as you account for your calories, you'll lose weight. :)
  • runninggirltoo
    runninggirltoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure you don't eat below 1200 calories a day so as not to risk lowering your metabolism
    2. Eat a little something every couple of hours to keep your metabolism stoked - just like a fire

My downfall is I like to have a few evening cocktails after a long day's work. I need to cut that out.
  • runninggirltoo
    runninggirltoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure you don't eat below 1200 calories a day so as not to risk lowering your metabolism
    2. Eat a little something every couple of hours to keep your metabolism stoked - just like a fire

My downfall is I like to have a few evening cocktails after a long day's work. I need to cut that out.
  • smithjacks
    Options
    A sound slip and drink minimum eight glass water in a day is also helpful to loss the weight
  • smithjacks
    Options
    A sound slip and drink minimum eight glass water in a day is also helpful to loss the weight
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    drink minimum eight glass water in a day is also helpful to loss the weight

Why do you think this?
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER follow #1.. i eat everything in moderation.. yes the amount of junk i consume now is far far less than say a year ago but if i cut junk out completely, I'd never have lost weight bc I'd just want it more so I'd binge.

#4 I do like, but at the same time, i try to only put on my plate the correct portion sizes so I'll just finish it. However, I like #4 bc it can work if you go out to a restaurant !

the other tips I love!
  • ajstout652
    ajstout652 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I actually always eat late at night, but I make it a 1/2 to 3/4 cup of non-fat cottage cheese. This is a casein protein, which is slow digesting.....what this does is keep your body in an anabolic state during the night, so you don't wake up hungry and your body slowly feeds off that protein while you sleep instead of starting to feed off of your muscles. Used alot by bodybuilders, but I utilize it to STOP my late night cravings and for the aforementioned benefits.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I would have the hardest time with number 4 I was taught growing up to eat everything you put on your plate or anything that is put in front of you so this is def. a hard one for me this is why I've cut down on going out to eat and eating at home more where I can control the portions that go on my plate.

I was rasied the same way. Now I have to measure every thing that goes on the plate
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Ok these are the weight loss tips that i have gathered together for myself that i want to share with you all. :smile:

Which ones do you think you could stick to and which ones are a definite no

1. No junk food

2. No smoking

3. smaller portions

4. Leave some food on the plate at the end of a meal

5. No eating late at night

6. No sneaking out late at night to buy food

I am trying to keep to all 6 but the hardest for me is numbers 5 and 6

Over to you

1.) I personaly don`t cut anything out of my diet I work it into my calorie count if I want to have it
    2.)don`t smoke never have so not an issue for me
    3.)not a problem I messure everything or weigh it and when we go out I normaly slit my dinner with my 4yo and 6yo saves us money and we all get a more normal portion while eatting out
    4.) I personaly try not to do this unless out at a restraunt as I messure my food at home and try to get as close to my cal goal as possible including exercise cals so I need to eat whats on my plate
    5.)this is a trouble area for me as my hubby works late and likes to chat and snack in the evening with me so I normaly cave but I always make sure to alot for those cals and plan my evening snack before he is home :)
    6.)I can`t do this its just not an option I have kids and they are both in bed at 8pm every night and my hubby works late hence I must stay home with the kids
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Ok these are the weight loss tips that i have gathered together for myself that i want to share with you all. :smile:

Which ones do you think you could stick to and which ones are a definite no

1. No junk food

2. No smoking

3. smaller portions

4. Leave some food on the plate at the end of a meal

5. No eating late at night

6. No sneaking out late at night to buy food

I am trying to keep to all 6 but the hardest for me is numbers 5 and 6

Over to you

5 and 6 are hard for me too but i visualize getting on the scale in the morning or the next week and imagine seeing that despite all my hard work, the number didn't budge because i just "had to have" that ice cream (chips, cookies, etc).

Another great tip (i did this two nights in a row and it really really helps with perspective and such) is to use much smaller plates and bowls than you normally would. I used a snack sized plate for my dinner servings and it was much more accurate in terms of portion and it also makes you feel fuller (at least mentally) because you get to finish all of the food on your plate. I also like to eat with small silverware. I feel like large forks and spoons make it easier to take huge bites, which makes me feel like i'm just shoveling the food in. I can take more reasonable bites with smaller silverware, slowing down my pace of eating, allowing my body to give me that "satisfied" signal before i overeat.

Hope this one helps!
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I actually always eat late at night, but I make it a 1/2 to 3/4 cup of non-fat cottage cheese. This is a casein protein, which is slow digesting.....what this does is keep your body in an anabolic state during the night, so you don't wake up hungry and your body slowly feeds off that protein while you sleep instead of starting to feed off of your muscles. Used alot by bodybuilders, but I utilize it to STOP my late night cravings and for the aforementioned benefits.

Great idea! I think i might try this. I'll have to throw some fruit in there- i can't get myself to love plain cottage cheese.... thanks for the info!
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    how about

1. LESS junk food
    4. Weigh all your food with a digital scale (a small investment of arnd $20 from Target or Wal-Mart w/big returns!)
    and
    5. Only HEALTHY low-cal snacks at night