28 day sugar detox challenge, are you up for it??

Options
B2BB
B2BB Posts: 222 Member
Yes straight through Halloween, I'm tired of fighting my cravings and losing. So this us the best time to do it when you eat it you want more. So if we or I can do this and break the habit and make new healthier ones its all worth it!

When you eat sugar, it stimulates the release of dopamine into the nucleus accumbens, which makes you feel pleasure. The brain recognizes and likes this feeling and begins to crave more. It may startle you to learn that heroine, morphine and sugar all stimulate the same receptors in your brain.
Dr. Oz

http://www.doctoroz.com/challenge/sugar-detox

Replies

• krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is good, though. I wouldn't detox from that.
  • maaleka
    maaleka Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow I don't think I am ready but it does seem to be right.. OMG I think my 4 kids will KILL me if I got off the sugar.. picture me walking around being grumpy all day.. not good.. but still it makes one think!
  • B2BB
    Options
    I'm still having sugar from natural sources its the processed stuff I'm talkin about:)
  • FAtGiRLFItGiRL
    Options
    bump
  • Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am ready for it....does it start today or tomorrow?????Just read ur post
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    i want to do this, too...i'm ready to cut refined sugars out of my diet! look at your processed food labels...you will see sugar, corn syrup, HF corn syrup, cane sugar, etc in EVERYTHING! i'm getting ready to switch to all natural, so this might be a good challenge for me...
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    No. I like sugar.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I haven't had sugar in over 20 years. Doesn't even cross my mind anymore.
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    I'm glad that I found my secret weapon to not have the sugar cravings anymore and as much energy as I was in my 20's... I had a huge sweet tooth before that and now at my lowest weight in 20 years time. Yeah! Wish you the best though

Feel free to friend me any of you for some calorie free food for thought and health tips posted daily... ;) Colleen
  • starblossom
    starblossom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    oooo maybe I should do this?! I struggle with chocolate and sweet snacky stuff at night.... and ice cream with my boyfriend. I don't know if I could do it. What about fake sugar? I have little sugar free hard coffee candies that get me through my cravings....
  • B2BB
    Options
    Today is day 2 for me, but you can starr today as day 2. It's gonna be a gradual progression this week no candy, sweets, sodas. Can't go cold turkey, must starring off slow to make it to the end. Add me and let me know of your in, the more the merrier:)
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I actually started a no sugar/no wheat diet on Monday for 6 weeks. So far so good. I have done this before. I can definitely say that after the initial cravings are gone it's so much easier to resist and I feel better and losing weight is easier.
  • sh0rtstuff
    Options
    DO THIS!! I didn't go hard and do a 28-day detox, but I just came off a 21-day one, and i've got to say, I feel so much better, and it's curbed a lot of the sweet cravings I had prior to starting.

I continued to eat fruit, and used stevia as my sugar substitute. But anything with sugar on the label I didn't put in my mouth. I also stayed away from the "fake sugars", aspartame etc....

Good luck everyone!
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    I'm doing the 21-day sugar detox right now that had a link on the PaleOMG.com website. I'm on day 7. NO FRUIT there's a ton of sugar in fruit, yes it's natural but it's still sugar and causes your body to react the same as if you ate table sugar. Also no artifiical sweeteners because your body thinks that sweetness is sugar and releases insulin anyhow...... i really miss sugar-free gum, the first 3 days were SOOOOO HARD but now it's easier. I have 2 more weeks to go and I think when I'm done I'll stick with most of these good habits. I also used to eat a fruit flavored Chobani greek yogurt every morning, loaded with sugar. If I go back to yogurt I'll go to the plain. I will say though that the first 3 days were like going off of crack (LOL!) even though I really only ate the chobani and then one serving of fruit every day around 3:00, not like I ate cake and stuff every day, but the withdrawals were awful, headache, lethargy, grumpy, OMG.... glad I'm past that.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Can I join too? I've been trying to avoid processed sugar as well (although I've had a backslide or three :blushing: ). Someone on one of the topics on here posted something about Dr. Lustig's "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" on Youtube. I recently saw the video and have been trying to cut out the processed sugar stuff since!
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm already on a low carb diet.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    holythreadresurrection_zpsc3478626.jpg
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It really is possible... I read David Gillespies 'Sweet Poison' book 5mths ago - and decided to quit sugar. The only sugar I eat is in a piece of fruit. Other than that I eat nothing with more than 10g/100g of sugar in it - and I tell you I feel sooooo much better! I am a lot more mentally stable and don't have my 'hungry hippo' days where I just ate and ate trying to fix cravings anymore.... I actually feel 'full' and 'satisfied' now which makes sticking to lower calories a lot easier! I would recommend to everyone to try going sugar free for a few months (it takes about 3wks before it is out of your system and you stop feeling the withdrawals) and see how you feel! I won't be going back to a sugar addicts lifestyle I know that for sure!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm still having sugar from natural sources its the processed stuff I'm talkin about:)
    But the sugar from natural sources still triggers the release of dopamine in the brain, it still triggers the exact same brain centers that morphine and heroin do. Surely if you're comparing it to HEROIN you have to stop eating fruit as well. Where's my eye roll smiley?

EATING triggers a dopamine response. You know what also triggers a major dopamine response? EXERCISE. Dopamine is a good thing, not a bad thing, and Dr. Oz is an idiot. You want dopamine to be released in your system, a lack of dopamine causes serious diseases like Parkinson's disease.

Also, Lustig's "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" has been soundly debunked as nonsense.

Here's some reading for you: http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • Katydone
    Options
    I've essentially been away from sugar since the 9th of August. I messed up a couple of times while staying with my son for two weeks. I've gotten off the metformin and insulin as a result. This has also included exercise. I've also eliminated grains from my diet. This is really low carb and once I get my weight down I will add more carbs back in. It is hard to believe they will allow me 200 plus carbs and I would still lose weight. My net carbs average around 40 to 50 a day. I'm very serious about this to control my diabetes without drugs. I cannot mess up because I don't have the metformin or insulin to rely on. Will be curious to see how my A1C is in another couple of months.