28 day sugar detox challenge, are you up for it??

Options

Replies

• T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Touché. But I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and I know that there are coping skills that can be learned to deal with extreme fears (I know because I have acquired them). All I'm saying is, being dependent on anything is a bad thing; we just need to have healthy relationships with our feelings/fears and we won't go on binges and anything else we use to avoid what we're feeling. While I agree Celexa is going to help you with your anxiety; learning how to feel safe inside your skin would be a better long term goal. Celexa may not give you any noticeable side effects, but it has internal effects we can't see/feel due to our limited nerve endings.

you have hijacked a simple thread about sugar and turned it into your own issues. start your own thread

I have hijacked a thread about quitting something vital to the body (in moderation) and offered a new perspective to what the problem is. But I will fade away and let this thread do it's "sugar is evil" rage. Just heed my warning, if you eliminate an addiction without providing some form of coping strategy in it's place, you'll just be addicted to something else.

Please show me anything factual stating that sugar is "something vital to the body". She said she was giving up sugar NOT carbs. She also stated a few posts down from her original comment that she still intends to eat complex carbs or as you so elegantly called it "healthy carbs". Get off your high horse dude, your no expert.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Please show me anything factual stating that sugar is "something vital to the body". She said she was giving up sugar NOT carbs. She also stated a few posts down from her original comment that she still intends to eat complex carbs or as you so elegantly called it "healthy carbs". Get off your high horse dude, your no expert.

First off. All carbs ARE sugar. Fiber is sugar that cannot be digested by the human body. "Sugar" on the nutrition label is single or dual molecules of sugar. Sugar substitutes are still considered "sugar" as far as the body is concerned and still causes an insulin response. "Other Carbs" or the carbs left over after sugar and fiber is accounted for are "complex carbs" or starches which are 3 or more chains (or chain reactions) of sugar.

So the ONLY way to eliminate sugar is to eliminate ALL carbs. Your macro would have to be 0c/80p/20f. And the ONLY thing you would be allowed to eat is - MEAT. Because nuts and seeds still has fiber which results in intake of sugar. There are carbs in veggies, fruits, dairy, legumes, and grains. So you're telling me that you are proposing everyone to quit the things that provides our bodies with nutrients, vitamins, and stool fodder?

For those who are on the "carbs are evil" train, here's a link for you to get educated on what carbs really are and why we need them in our diet. http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/carbs.html

If you still aren't convinced, that's all on you. Enjoy your 0/80/20 diet. But when you're seeing the doctor for malnutrition, or you're seeing a therapist for addictions to alcohol/drugs, or when you are having a mental breakdown from the lack of micronutrients, come back to this thread and just repeat "I should have listened to you".

Now if this is a war on refined sugar/grains I can support that. But the point I was trying to make is you are reaching for these refined options because they are mentally associated with "pleasure". While three bananas hold the same amount of starch and sugar as a slice of cake, you likely won't have the same effect on your psychological state of affair because cake is something you get as a "reward" for having a bad day or to celebrate something and bananas are closer associated with a breakfast food. Despite them both affecting the body the same (minus intolerances to gluten) your brain will appreciate the cake more because you are "rewarding yourself". And since dopamine and seratonin are hormones related to moods, by eating the cake you are increasing your stimulation and your confidence through self medicating by the placebo effect. The cake isn't actually making you happy; what the cake symbolizes in your life is what makes you happy.

The sugar and the starch from the cake (and the bananas) are just there for the blood sugar and too much of THAT is going to cause a blood sugar spike which will do a few things: 1) Cause a large insulin response pushing fat into fat reserves until the sugar is burned; 2) Going to cause hyperactivity (working physically faster than your brain can handle) and cognitive impairment in the frontal lobe (decreased judgment and social ability); 3) Because sugar/carbs/starch burns so quickly (especially during hyperactivity) you are going to burn into your blood sugar and your body is going to crave more blood sugar to balance things out causing the sugar "addiction" because you're less than likely to grab a low glycemic carb the 2nd time around since that cake is still within reach, so you just go through it ALL again.

So before you do a "detox" of something that is needed at modest levels, please look at the big picture. The big picture is, you are unhealthy because of an unhealthy relationship with the sugar; not because "sugar is evil".
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    The body can convert protein and fat into glucose just fine in the absence of sugar.

While that is true, it won't unless you are in starvation mode. It will likely just wait until the next carbohydrate is put into your body and give you the hunger pains until you do. And if you are eating beans thinking they are a "protein" you are mistaken. Legumes are 66% carb and 33% protein. Grains the same thing. The only true "protein" that you are putting in your body is meat. And an all meat diet is 1) not nutritious; 2) not cheap; and 3) not even ideal for deadlift body builders.

So if you want to go on the mantra that carbs are "unnecessary" try it for a week and let me know. Just eat steak, eggs, chicken, turkey, fish, and pork all week and tell me how well that primal/paleo diet is going for you with only 1 food group.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

So if you want to go on the mantra that carbs are "unnecessary" try it for a week and let me know. Just eat steak, eggs, chicken, turkey, fish, and pork all week and tell me how well that primal/paleo diet is going for you with only 1 food group.

DUDE!! DUDE!!! we are not talking about ALL carbs...we are talking about the refined sugar that is added to food

QUIT acting like we are saying ALL carbs are evil.

If you quit preaching for a minute you might see that
  • EccentricDad
    Options

DUDE!! DUDE!!! we are not talking about ALL carbs...we are talking about the refined sugar that is added to food

QUIT acting like we are saying ALL carbs are evil.

If you quit preaching for a minute you might see that

Then quit challenging me! Jeez! I made a single comment and someone didn't like it and has challenged me since. I'm gone, enjoy your detox and good luck on your other addictions.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The body can convert protein and fat into glucose just fine in the absence of sugar.

While that is true, it won't unless you are in starvation mode. It will likely just wait until the next carbohydrate is put into your body and give you the hunger pains until you do. And if you are eating beans thinking they are a "protein" you are mistaken. Legumes are 66% carb and 33% protein. Grains the same thing. The only true "protein" that you are putting in your body is meat. And an all meat diet is 1) not nutritious; 2) not cheap; and 3) not even ideal for deadlift body builders.

Just because you talk allot doesn't make you right lol. Starvation mode? Lol uh no, actually the body can use fat and protein for fuel while in ketosis. and ever heard of net carbs? It's funny how people lose a few pounds and all the sudden their an expert. If you know nothing about keto diets (which you clearly don't) please don't be spewing your misinformation all over the internet because that's all it is. Misinformation
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I really want to do this, but can find about a million excuses! I just bough a bunch of kashi golean bars, so that's my excuse for this week. Maybe I'll start next week.....OK, I'm planning to start next week!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Absolutely not. Gluconeogenesis happens ALL THE TIME. You don't have to be in "Starvation Mode" for your body to convert amino acids and fatty acids into glucose. It's a continuous process. Just like lipolysis, glycolysis, lipogensesis, fatty acid synthesis, amino acid synthesis, and hundreds of other biological processes that occur on a daily basis.

Also, "carbs" and "sugar" are not interchangeable, any more than "monounsaturated fat" and "fat" are. In that case you're simply trying to argue semantics, which is a logical fallacy, and not a real argument. You need to do a lot more actual research, and a lot less of just parroting things you read on this board.
  • EccentricDad
    Options

Absolutely not. Gluconeogenesis happens ALL THE TIME. You don't have to be in "Starvation Mode" for your body to convert amino acids and fatty acids into glucose. It's a continuous process. Just like lipolysis, glycolysis, lipogensesis, fatty acid synthesis, amino acid synthesis, and hundreds of other biological processes that occur on a daily basis.

Also, "carbs" and "sugar" are not interchangeable, any more than "monounsaturated fat" and "fat" are. In that case you're simply trying to argue semantics, which is a logical fallacy, and not a real argument. You need to do a lot more actual research, and a lot less of just parroting things you read on this board.

I am wrong and I am sorry.
  • EccentricDad
    Options

Just because you talk allot doesn't make you right lol. Starvation mode? Lol uh no, actually the body can use fat and protein for fuel while in ketosis. and ever heard of net carbs? It's funny how people lose a few pounds and all the sudden their an expert. If you know nothing about keto diets (which you clearly don't) please don't be spewing your misinformation all over the internet because that's all it is. Misinformation

I am sorry.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Yes straight through Halloween, I'm tired of fighting my cravings and losing. So this us the best time to do it when you eat it you want more. So if we or I can do this and break the habit and make new healthier ones its all worth it!

When you eat sugar, it stimulates the release of dopamine into the nucleus accumbens, which makes you feel pleasure. The brain recognizes and likes this feeling and begins to crave more. It may startle you to learn that heroine, morphine and sugar all stimulate the same receptors in your brain.
    Dr. Oz

http://www.doctoroz.com/challenge/sugar-detox

I am sorry for hi-jacking your thread. Good luck with your sugar detox challenge.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I have hijacked a thread about quitting something vital to the body (in moderation) and offered a new perspective to what the problem is. But I will fade away and let this thread do it's "sugar is evil" rage. Just heed my warning, if you eliminate an addiction without providing some form of coping strategy in it's place, you'll just be addicted to something else.
    Are you a therapist?
  • Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    Are you a therapist?

No. He's someone averaging almost 8 posts per day while lecturing on "addictions".
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Are we assuming that everyone that wants to stop eating sugar for a few weeks must be an addict?

Sounds legit.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

No. He's someone averaging almost 8 posts per day while lecturing on "addictions".

He's a certified broscientist who doesn't even lift....And clearly doesn't know much about nutrition.........

ignore it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Are we assuming that everyone that wants to stop eating sugar for a few weeks must be an addict?

Sounds legit.

I quit drinking alcohol for 3 weeks. Turns out I was an alcoholic and didn't even know it.
    But as soon as I tried to not drink, some guy came along an let me know that I had an addiction............
  • sjohnny
    Options

Sounds legit.

I quit drinking alcohol for 3 weeks. Turns out I was an alcoholic and didn't even know it.
    But as soon as I tried to not drink, some guy came along an let me know that I had an addiction............

Good thing you stopped when you did. Sounds to me like you dodged a bullet there. Imagine how many other addictions you might have. Maybe you should quit doing some other random crap in case you're addicted to it.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Are you a therapist?

No. That is why I apologized. Please ignore all my comments. I just want to be left alone.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

Good thing you stopped when you did. Sounds to me like you dodged a bullet there. Imagine how many other addictions you might have. Maybe you should quit doing some other random crap in case you're addicted to it.

I can think of one personal time thing I don't want to quit......
    I'd hate to find out I was addicted to it.
  • sjohnny
    Options

I can think of one personal time thing I don't want to quit......
    I'd hate to find out I was addicted to it.

That would suck. That's why I've decided just to never quit anything.