What convinced YOU to shed the weight?

Options

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    For me it was taking a good long look at myself in the mirror while naked. That, and I was tired of having so many "skinny" clothes packed away in tubs hoping that I would be able to wear them again some day.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It started with my daughter's wedding in April. I knew it was coming up and knew there'd be photographs. And I didn't want to look terrible in them. And somewhere along the line it morphed into losing weight for me, to be healthier and look better for me.
  • Mommareed4
    Options
    I want to have self confidence..I always had a horrible self image..
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Do not want my son growing up and having a fat mommy
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I could no longer buy clothes at even the plus size stores. It's a problem when you're too big for Big and Tall.

Glad to say those days are safely behind me. Anyone need some size 4x pants??
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I got on the scale and it read 298 lbs. I couldn't allow myself to hit the 300s so I decided I had to make a change. I had always had the rationalization that I could eat whatever I wanted because I wanted to enjoy life but the fact was, I wasn't enjoying life. I was miserable and most of it centered around my weight. I still have a long way to go but I am a lot closer than I was a year ago.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I helped this huge lady to the bathroom at work (hospital) and thought to myself, I'd better not ever let myself get that big. She was having such a hard time getting in and out of bed. Then I peeked at her weight and it was LESS THAN MINE! People who are fat and get around pretty good don't realize how debilitating it can be with just one even minor injury. The patient population is getting bigger and bigger. We have lifts on our units to move people who are too huge for us to left and scales made for livestock. Americans are getting bigger and bigger and it's scary as hell to think that could be me being lifted up by a machine because i'm too big for anybody to help. The foolishness ends today.

I quit smoking because I saw many people die of emphysema and lung cancer. I quit eating because even more people are going to die from being fat. I don't want to be in either group. (I'll probably get run over jogging, but I'll be the best looking corpse in the cemetery!)
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    I felt like my fat was going to pop my skin open in my legs. I felt tired, awful and uncomfortable in my very own skin.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I was starting to move less and less and less. I was avoiding getting down on the floor to do anything and even started to stand around instead of sitting so I wouldn't have to get up! My knees. My poor heart - I have a defibrillator in case it just up and stops (put in last year) for my genetic heart arrhythmia, and having less body to pump blood around in will make my heart a lot happier I think.

All my friends (and all my husband's friends) are not only younger than me, they're all much lighter weight as well. I swear it's not my imagination how many times I wasn't included in things (or even my husband wasn't included!) because nobody wanted the fat old broad to show up. Maybe it's not true, maybe it was my imagination - but I really doubt it, and besides, if things go well and I stick with it, next Summer I'll know for sure one way or another, now won't I?

I was always so out of breath! (This is a huge one.)

My fat clothes were getting tight and I just refused to take another day of it.

My cardiologist mentioned I had put on weight and said do something or I will make you get on the scale.

I sense a real turn around in "Fat Nation" - it seems like either more and more people are turning on to this idea that they need to take better care of themselves OR maybe it just seems like that to me as I've surrounded myself with so many people interested in eating right and working out lately. I wouldn't want to be left out of this new wave!
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I work @ Lane Bryant and I'm pushing a sz 28 ....I'm NOT going to Catherine's. Also just want to feel more energetic, have more confidence, and a better social life.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Friend who hadn't seen me in a few years, finally saw me. Pointed at my gut and said "What in the hell happened to you?".

I've been in the gym ever since. In fact, he lifts with me on occasion and I just showed him my progress pics.

He jelly.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    When I could no longer buy clothes at even the plus size stores. It's a problem when you're too big for Big and Tall.

Glad to say those days are safely behind me. Anyone need some size 4x pants??

This! I couldn't even get a tuxedo for my brothers wedding at the local big & tall. I was so depressed. Also I wasn't able to stand even long enough to stand with him @ the alter as best man. 1 year since wedding, 8 months since start of journey, I'm feeling fan fricking tastic!
  • fosterr8
    Options
    I got on the scale and was shocked by the number. And photos made me cringe. I hated my double chin. Also, I'm in nursing. So why in the hell would patients take my advice to lose weight if I am overweight myself?!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from depression for most of my life and, when my doctor recommended adding some exercise to my day to release endorphins, I decided that - if I had to exercise to get my brain healthy, I might as well go all out and get the rest of me healthy, too.

Once I decided that, pure stubborn will made it happen.
  • calamitydown
    Options
    I have an unhealthy BMI and my clothes were shrinking faster than shrinky dinks. Plus, I feel as though losing weight and getting healthy is one of the only things in my life I can control at the moment.
  • nonafit
    nonafit Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Sick of looking at myself in the mirror that I stopped looking all together. Being a joke at every other possible gathering. And hate answering, "What happened to??!!!"

Used to be slim and feeling good about myself and comfortable in my skin. This is what I want to get at end of the day.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Well. I have wanted to since I gained it. Previously I had been 240 and lost 91lbs, kept it off for 4 years and then it crept back on. About once a year I would make a good attempt, it would last a few weeks and then I'd give up.

THIS time, my friend who works with me and I had been talking about it for a long time. We had set up a plan where we would take turns in the afternoon going out to exercise. We kept putting it off, until one day she looked at me and said "So do you want to go first, or should I". I don't know what changed but from that day forward I have been getting more and more serious. I'm about to complete day 3 of week 5 in my c25k training. I've lost 13lbs so far and I feel like there is no turning back.

I really want to be a role model for my children and SHOW them how to live a healthy active life.

I'm starting with 3 "phases". One going until mid-december, then I'll re-evaluate goals. I'll start phase 2 mid-december until mid-march, and then mid-march to mid-June. I am currently 273 and would LOVE to see be in onederland by my 30th birthday in June.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I didnt want to be on beta blockers at 23, and I was sick of the guys not digging me. that is the superficiasl side I know
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Not fitting in certain clothes, and I missed seeing my abs. Lol
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Every time I looked at myself I felt ashamed and stopped talking to people because I was afraid f being made fun of more. Then rock bottom when the Dr. told me it might be making an already weak heart worse.