Does doing Yoga make me a big cissy?

Options
Starting Yoga next week as I feel I need extra flexibility. I find I'm getting a lot of muscle pain after running.

Questions. Is it likely to help the problem? Has anyone noticed if it helps their weight loss and most importantly does it mean I'm a big cissy?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Tons of men in my area do yoga. Both yoga and pilates are harder than they look. Get through a class and then tell us how sissy-like it was :wink:
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    It strengthens the core muscles and is totally not sissy.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    One semester at college I took Yoga with buddy of mine. It was an 8AM class, and he and I were the only men in a class of 30. It was the ONLY class in all of college that I never missed. Trust me it doesn't make you a sissy, just smart.

That being said, I absolutely hate yoga. It works but it's painful and not at all what I'm good at.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Apologies double post
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    NO I do it as part of my training for the same reason, I have noticed that I was not getting as many aches and pains till I did my back but it has helped that too.

One great thing about it is the eye candy can be nice too
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    You are definately NOT a big sissy. The above poster is right, get through a class and see if it wasn't a bit harder then it looks. You will LOVE it...And there's nothing wrong with being really flexible too! :wink:
    Enjoy!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    My husband thought this too, until I Finally convinced him to do a class with me.. and then he was into it more than I was. He still does Yoga EVERY day..
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    In no way does it make you a big sissy. Flexibility and balance are very important , and yoga will definitely help you with those things!! I've had a lot of pain in my elbows and shoulders, and yoga has made a huge difference in how I feel.
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    no way, yoga is freaking hard!!
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    At first I thought the same thing. However after doing Yoga a couple of times and noticing an increased fliexibility range and improvement in other areas of my endurance and strength, it is something I will do the rest of my life. Not sissy at all. Try it and if you think it is sissy after that, you didnt work hard enough.
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    no yoga is awesome relaxing and hard.. and i got a lot of good breathing tips in there also
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm yoga butt
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input folks, will try it and see. I understand I don't need to wear a leotard either, which is nice.

Regards
    P
  • mushalek
    Options
    Im actually going to yoga today! i was skeptical about it before but it feels great to stretch out after a nice long run and i've noticed a big difference in my flexibly plus my strides seem to be smoother i recommend it to everyone!
  • mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Flexibility is good for tons of reasons. Yoga can be very hard and great at toning muscle and weight loss.

And only sissies think yoga is for sissies :laugh:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yoga is excellent.
  • Spruillie03
    Spruillie03 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Chicks TOTALLY dig guys who are man enough to do yoga.
    :-D
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Tons of men in my area do yoga. Both yoga and pilates are harder than they look. Get through a class and then tell us how sissy-like it was :wink:

At my work, we get a few men in yoga classes. It is harder then it looks, but it does help with streching and loosing up your muscle before running. I would have to say that you should just try it and let us know how you like it. What is that famous quote.....ohh "you don't know if you like till you try it" :happy:
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Yoga is totally cool for guys to do. Heck my CrossFit gym has a yoga class. I sometimes do Yoga, and frankly wish I made it a more regular practice. I wouldn't mind more of the benefits it provides for balance, flexibility, and centered-ness.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input folks, will try it and see. I understand I don't need to wear a leotard either, which is nice.

Regards
    P

Hah. Just comfortable clothing.