Does doing Yoga make me a big cissy?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I've tried it. I felt totally pussed out doing it. But, it does do wonders.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Of course it makes you a cissy (sissy?). Only yucky girls do yoga.

Seriously, yoga helps with muscle strength and flexibility. I believe it's also been shown to improve certain brain functions through improved blood flow. The improvements in flexibility and strength may very well help with the pain you're feeling from running. Of course strength training and regular stretching at the end of your workouts can also be just as effective.

There are plenty of professional athletes including football players, soccer players, baseball players, etc who all keep to a regular regimen of yoga sessions.
  • sparrow747
    Options
    The best part about yoga is watching the men struggle into poses that don't come easily to them since women are naturally more flexible. ;) Depending on what kind of class you take it'll be a great workout -- flow vinyasa will make you sweat buckets and tone up! I practice 3x a week and it's changed my life and body - no more lower back pain and I even did a handstand last week!
  • seastreifel
    Options
    I find yoga gives me a serious rush of (endorphins??) and I feel AWESOME after. I can see how there are people who are actually addicted to yoga. And a bunch of the serious body trainers at my gym are always in the yoga classes, so no, it doesn't make you a cissy.

I do recommend a specific class if you can find it: its call Group Centergy http://www.bodytrainingsystems.com/pages/bts_programs/GroupCentergy.htm
    its waaaay more fun than classic yoga- its a mix of yoga and pilates that is broken down into 8 difference targets and timed to upbeat, classic, old and new music. Check out a youtube video of it if that doesnt make sense.
    Anyways, since I've done Centergy, I cannot do classic yoga.. just doesnt keep me interested!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Often, the studio where I practice Bikram, women are outnumbered by men..... not cissy at all. Yoga should be a regular part of our training routine... and I know that in my case, it did get me over a place where I was not losing weight anymore, even in my very best diet.

I'm sure you will be surprised at how well you feel with yoga in your life.

Namaste
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A word of advice, don't wear short running shorts either. :noway:
  • absolutely not!
    Enjoy your yoga!!!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Football players do ballet and yoga, so definitely not. . it helps with flexibility as well as strength. . So what I am saying is there are tons of men that do yoga. .. Bob Harper / Biggest loser does yoga and advocates it for all the competitors on there.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Starting Yoga next week as I feel I need extra flexibility. I find I'm getting a lot of muscle pain after running.

Questions. Is it likely to help the problem? Has anyone noticed if it helps their weight loss and most importantly does it mean I'm a big cissy?

Apparently, you've never seen 'Roadhouse'
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Yoga is not for sissies, it doesn't seem like much while doing but wait until the next day. You will notice a difference in your running pain for sure, it helps to stretch the muscles that tighten up. Hope you enjoy it!
  • ScarletKuriboh
    Options
    No.

Yoga is one of the hardest things in my opinion. Anyone can lift a dumbbell. Not everyone can do a Tittibhasana (firefly pose). I still can't.
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    Dude- as a yoga teacher there are times where the guy's out number the girls in my class. Yoga does awesome things for you on all levels. So, take your class and enjoy it ! P.S~ chicks love guy's who are into yoga :)
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Stay away, I like being the only guy in the class :-)

Seriously, Yoga is awesome. I have the best night sleep after I take a class, and if I do skip a class, my body really lets me know.

Do what you can do, and you will be able to increase flexibility and strength in no time.
  • alaliberte
    Options
    Say What?!

I've taken some kick-*kitten* yoga classes and some types of yoga get you totally ripped! It depends what you want it for. If you want gentle yoga to stretch and revitalize sore muscles, it can do that. If you want the go,go,go class where you sweat a few buckets of sweat, it can do that too.

As an Anusara yoga instructor, I can tell you my students are sore after taking my class, but they also feel refreshed by moving in different ways, turning upside down and working different muscle groups. Its not only about that, it's about listening and understanding the body...what athlete can't use that knowledge about themselves?

Good luck with whatever you decide but I can attest that there are sometimes more men in the classes then women...as so many other posts have stated.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Starting Yoga next week as I feel I need extra flexibility. I find I'm getting a lot of muscle pain after running.

Questions. Is it likely to help the problem? Has anyone noticed if it helps their weight loss and most importantly does it mean I'm a big cissy?

Ask Ryan Giggs of Manchester United. He credits the fact that he does Yoga and Pilates as being the reason that he is still playing professional football at almost 38 years of age.