Need To Gain Muscle and NOT Fat

Options

Replies

• deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Oh but I will say that if you're doing squats AND deadlifts in the same routine, I laugh in your general direction.

And if you're doing squats, deadlifts, AND bent-rows, may God have mercy on your soul....

Squats, deadlifts, and bent-rows, OW-MY!
  • nerditup
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far!

I will try to decrease my carbs and increase the healthy fats. I could use some suggestions on what exactly I could eat to increase those fats. I do NOT like any nuts or avacados. However, I LOVE peanut butter, and i'm currently including that in my daily diet. Any other suggestions are certainly welcomed because I'm a picky eater!

As for the protein shakes, I currently take one protein shake before and after each workout (I workout in the evening, so the post-workout shake is usually less than an hour before bed).

Make sure you get the right peanut butter. They're usually the ones that say 'natural' or some such. Look on the ingredients and make sure they don't have any hydrogenated oils. My personal favorite is Teddie natural peanut butter with flaxseed oil. Peanut butter bananas, or adding peanut butter and banana to your protein shakes, are a great way to up fat intake. You can also use whole milk for some of your protein shakes too.

Fish is good as well, omega 3's and all.

Also olive oil.

Drink tons of water.

These are great suggestions as opposed to just "EAT MORE!" I really appreciate it. The peanut butter i currently eat is a Jif Natural Low Sodium one. I will check out that one with flaxseed oil. I love milk....would it be bad to include that with my meals on a more regular basis? If so, should I go with whole milk or stick with skim milk?

Again, thanks for the specific suggestions!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Oh but I will say that if you're doing squats AND deadlifts in the same routine, I laugh in your general direction.

And if you're doing squats, deadlifts, AND bent-rows, may God have mercy on your soul....

Not sure if serious.

Explain to us what is wrong with doing Squats, Deads, and BB Rows in the same routine on the same day?
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options

I do squats and deadlifts on the same day.

Problem?
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

What?! You've gotta be f***in kidding me?! Ever heard of Mark Rippetoe?!
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Not sure if serious.

Explain to us what is wrong with doing Squats, Deads, and BB Rows in the same routine on the same day?
    Someone has never seen Rippetoe's SS routine ^_^
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

I do squats, deads and powercleans to over head press on the same day. along wth dumbell military presses, crunches, jump ups etc. etc. etc.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

\

if you DON'T have squats AND deadlifts in your routine, I laugh in your general direction.

And to the comment earlier about username to post content.....
    I love deadlifting, and I want to do that lift as much as possible, safely.
    If you're capable of doing it 3x a week, you aren't lifting as much as you should be.
    And if you're lifting heavy 3x a week, you will get yourself hurt. Even powerlifters aren't gonna do deads more than twice a week. And even then, they usually don't pull from the floor every week. They'll alternate rack pulls, good mornings, and other assistance work.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    If you compete, you have to bench, quat and dead on the same day.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    When I said same routine, I meant the same day.

I stand by what I said. You just wait and see.

Unless you can find me a certified personal trainer who will confirm using those three moves in the same day.

Then, I will bow down to the almighty gods of Iron.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    If you compete, you have to bench, quat and dead on the same day.

got a point there.

but that's for a total of 9 reps. haha
    and for one day.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

Unless you can find me a certified personal trainer who will confirm using those three moves in the same day.

Do you even lift?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Do you even know who Mark Rippetoe is? Yes or No will do.

Actually I dont even need to quote Alan, Lyle or Martin. I'll just tell you that Jay Cutler, Ronnie Coleman, and Dorian Yates...hell even Arnold would disagree with your post.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

1. I've seen personal trainers reccommend much worse.
    2.http://forum.dutchbodybuilding.com/f141/mark-rippetoes-starting-strength-routine-63770/

Mark Rippetoe is one of the best in this industry.
    Workout A.

EDIT: now bow down to the might gods of Iron, which includes Rippetoe
  • mynameisuntz
    Options

Mark...Rippetoe...

Have you ever heard of him? He's probably THE most well respected trainer in terms of knowledge of routines, exercises, form, etc.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

I'm going out and making calls RIGHT NOW man. geez
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    These are great suggestions as opposed to just "EAT MORE!" I really appreciate it. The peanut butter i currently eat is a Jif Natural Low Sodium one. I will check out that one with flaxseed oil. I love milk....would it be bad to include that with my meals on a more regular basis? If so, should I go with whole milk or stick with skim milk?

Some people say saturated fats from meats and dairy are bad for you. I remember reading about some studies in the perfect 10 diet book however that basically debunked that. Do your own research and decide for yourself. My advice though, don't drink gallons and gallons of it, but especially when you're trying to bulk up, go with whole milk. I'm working on cutting fat right now, and I still drink whole milk, albiet very very little.

When it comes to including it with your meals, depends on how much you drink. When it comes to quantity I don't have an educated opinion on how much is the right amount. I myself only have it when I'm eating granola, which currently is 2 or 3 times a week (maybe 4 oz each time).

Also agreed about deadlifting. It's fantastic but don't overdo it.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Doing all three on the same day doesn't mean doing your max 1 rep weight.

It's all body workout done with lighter weights.

115 - 135lbs for cleans to over head

only 185lbs for squats

225lbs for deads.

All for 6-10 reps and 3 sets.

Not even close to a heavy 1-3 rep day. If you're doing that, then you probably need to split them up
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

youfail.gif

Ummm..... some of the biggest names in lifting swear by that method.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Also reps make a difference.
    A lot of the experts (including louie simmons/ dave tate) will tell you to not do more than 4 reps over 90%.
    if you don't know who those two are, you obviously don't know much about lifting heavy, and you shouldn't have been in this thread to begin with, unless it was strictly to learn.
    So technically you could do a heavy 1 rep for a max effort for squat.
    And still pull heavy deads without too much of a problem.
    You just have to know your limits, and be smart enough to pull out at the right moment. (that's what she said)