Need To Gain Muscle and NOT Fat

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    When I said same routine, I meant the same day.

I stand by what I said. You just wait and see.

Unless you can find me a certified personal trainer who will confirm using those three moves in the same day.

Then, I will bow down to the almighty gods of Iron.

I also heard shake weights are a key component to any serious lifting regime
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

I also heard shake weights are a key component to any serious lifting regime

i prefer the new shake weight that looks like a big floppy donkey......shakeweight.

176561917_200.jpg

don't forget to cup the ball(s)
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    nerditup:

adding good fats to your diet (not man made ones, but natural ones) is perfect. Studies show time and time again that a low carb, high fat diet is the best and healthiest way to eat, expecially for active people, not just to lose body fat.

Here's a must see video explaining different diets in a 1 year study, and their results, as well as discussion at the end of the lecture talking about fat, protein, etc. that you may find insightful from stanford ct. nutrition phd (and long time vegan) explaining the ins and outs of becomming and staying healthy with a low carb, high fat diet - protein is actually a stressor to the kidneys, as is carbs / sugar. He also points out tons of other Doctors and studies to look into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eREuZEdMAVo#t=167s

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
    Mark's Daily Apple is a great resource. Lots of diverse topics, daily posts, very readable information. This 101 page has a number of links to learn more.

http://chriskresser.com/beyond-paleo-moving-from-a-paleo-diet-to-a-paleo-template
    Chris Kresser also has a very readable blog and offers reasoned and level-headed advice

peace.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    i prefer the new shake weight that looks like a big floppy donkey......shakeweight.

176561917_200.jpg

don't forget to cup the ball(s)

lol
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    BWB, I'm not against low carb (see my diary), but it's extremely hard to gain weight AND lift heavy without carbohydrates. Not only will his lifts suffer, but so will his recovery.

I will agree that he needs to get all of his necessary fats, but telling him that he doesn't need carbs is the wrong advice.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    BWB, I'm not against low carb (see my diary), but it's extremely hard to gain weight AND lift heavy without carbohydrates. Not only will his lifts suffer, but so will his recovery.

I will agree that he needs to get all of his necessary fats, but telling him that he doesn't need carbs is the wrong advice.

agreed.
    if he's trying to gain weight, no reason for him to avoid carbs. he's just gonna get burnt out and not perform well in the gym, and eventually quit.
    let the guy eat, he wants to gain muscle.

when he cuts, then you can try to convince him to avoid carbs. which is still unneeded unless he's cutting below 10%
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far!

I will try to decrease my carbs and increase the healthy fats. I could use some suggestions on what exactly I could eat to increase those fats. I do NOT like any nuts or avacados. However, I LOVE peanut butter, and i'm currently including that in my daily diet. Any other suggestions are certainly welcomed because I'm a picky eater!

As for the protein shakes, I currently take one protein shake before and after each workout (I workout in the evening, so the post-workout shake is usually less than an hour before bed).

if you're looking at labels, mono- & poly- unsaturated fats are good. Stay away from trans fats altogether and limit saturated fats. i've heard a general rule of thumb that saturated fat should be limited to no more than 7 - 10% of your daily calories. it's been working for me so far. i take a fish oil supplement on days that I don't hit my fat macro but if you can get good fats from your diet instead of just supplements its recommended.
  • armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    lol. Sounds like trolling to me.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    When I said same routine, I meant the same day.

I stand by what I said. You just wait and see.

Unless you can find me a certified personal trainer who will confirm using those three moves in the same day.

Then, I will bow down to the almighty gods of Iron.

I'm sure you won't take this seriously. Because there is bound to be an issue with my gender, current fitness level, or AFAA- but I *am* an AFAA certified personal trainer, and I have done and recommended those three moves in a routine.

With any heavy lifting, safety is key. Can everyone do these moves properly? No. Should everyone do these moves? No. Is there a possibility of injury? Yes. (Is asking and answering my own questions annoying? Probably. :tongue: )

To the OP: You've gotten some excellent nutritional advise already, so I'm not going to repeat what you've already been told. As far as the workout routine goes, you can get a lot of benefit from a routine like the one described. Be sure you have the proper form, and take care of your back!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I'm sure you won't take this seriously. Because there is bound to be an issue with my gender, current fitness level, or AFAA- but I *am* an AFAA certified personal trainer, and I have done and recommended those three moves in a routine.

He'll be back, he's reading "Starting Strength" right now.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

He'll be back, he's reading "Starting Strength" right now.
    I have nothing to add other than to reinforce that Mark Rippetoe is the *kitten*. VERY knowledgeable (sp??)
  • shellbell525
    Options
    Just a questions from a woman's pov. I am currently at 25ish % and would love to get down to 20 but i don't want to be skinny fat. I have dieted down from 26-27% but from tracking my %s I'm losing mostly LBM. Is there a way to curb how much I'm losing or is it just an inevitable part of losing and I'll just have to work up after I'm a bit lower?

Thanks in advance for any clarification/help.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Just a questions from a woman's pov. I am currently at 25ish % and would love to get down to 20 but i don't want to be skinny fat. I have dieted down from 26-27% but from tracking my %s I'm losing mostly LBM. Is there a way to curb how much I'm losing or is it just an inevitable part of losing and I'll just have to work up after I'm a bit lower?

You should do the following to assist prevention of lean mass losses during dieting/weightloss:

1) Lift heavy weights at least 3xweek
    2) Consume adequate protein. Intake recommendations will vary for obese people vs relatively lean, but MFP will under-recommend protein for people engaging in weight training.
    3) Don't create to large of a deficit. Best to stay around 20% under maintenance IMO.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Basically what sidesteal said.

LIFT. You won't gain much if any muscle while under a calorie deficit, but you will lose less muscle if you have a decent strength training program. Lifting heavy is best, but even lifting for higher reps is better than nothing.

Did I mention you should be lifting?

Also, lifting helps.
  • shellbell525
    Options
    What do you consider adequate protein, I'm set at 30% or somewhere around 113g per day (which i find incredibly difficult to match)

I lift heavy, well heavy for me lol. I love lifting but motivation to get up out of bed is still a bit tough. I'm working with a support group :laugh:
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    What do you consider adequate protein, I'm set at 30% or somewhere around 113g per day (which i find incredibly difficult to match)

I lift heavy, well heavy for me lol. I love lifting but motivation to get up out of bed is still a bit tough. I'm working with a support group :laugh:

We don't mean heavy as a specific number, everyone's different. Heavy lifting generally means a weight that you can only do for a small number of reps. Google 5x5 StrongLifts as an example.

I don't know the specific splitup for protein that's ideal, I just generally try to have a diet that mostly balanced with an emphasis towards protein, and then on top of that I have protein shakes when I lift. Has always worked for me. For specific break downs you'd have to get advice from someone who knows more about it than I do, it's always been a going by gut feeling thing for me.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I am a 30 year-old male with a height of 6' 3" and weight of 165 lbs. I am approx 15% body fat (according to the fat caliper method). I am considered "lanky/skinny" but I have a small "spare tire" that is forming around my waist. I am looking to gain muslce mass (first) and then lose fat (second) in the next 4 months (vacation coming up!). So far, in the past 3 weeks, I've been averaging the following per day:

244 grams of carbs
    192 grams of protein
    56 grams of fat

I am trying to eat around 2,500 calories while maintaining a decent carb/protein/fat ratio, but I'm finding it's VERY difficult (am only eating around 2200-2300 per day). I could increase the amount of fat per day, which would help me reach that goal, but is that the smart thing to do? Am I eating the right ratios?

My workout schedule is currently 4 days per week of strength/weight training. I will work 1-2 muscle groups at each session and try to push myself a little harder each time. Other than warming up on a bike for 5-10 minutes before working out, I do not perform any cardio.

So, I turn to you guys to help me with my diet/nutrition/etc in order to gain muscle mass without inflating my spare tire! =)

Some fat gain is unavoidable..It comes with the territory. Some use mini cuts during strength/muscle gain phases..They might do 6 weeks of bulking followed by 4 weeks of reduced calories and repeat.. This obviously allows for a very controlled approach.. You are on MFP so I am figuring you are tracking your nutrition which is a big step in the right direction as is..You can slowly increase your calories little by little to continue gaining at a controlled rate. If it was me I would make my calorie increases come in the form of carbohydrates..But to each their own..Days you don't exercise you can adjust your nutrition accordingly. You said you are not doing cardio. I would include some HIIT/GPP work on what would have been off days. This will help you not only stay a bit leaner but it can contribute to recovery/strength/growth/overall fitness level ect..Also track your WO so you can have organization and management of training. As far as training methods you have many options to choose from..I think the Power Hypertrophy Adaptive Training 'PHAT' training system is excellent..Its not a training routine but rather a system and as the name implies it can adapt to your training goals. You can google it if interested.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I lovedeadlifts says"
    BWB, I'm not against low carb (see my diary), but it's extremely hard to gain weight AND lift heavy without carbohydrates. Not

agreed.
    if he's trying to gain weight, no reason for him to avoid carbs. he's just gonna get burnt out and not perform well in the gym, and eventually quit.
    let the guy eat, he wants to gain muscle.

when he cuts, then you can try to convince him to avoid carbs. which is still unneeded unless he's cutting below 10%

just want to say that I trained with Lenda and her husband Urel when they had a gym in Va Beach. I know what I'm talking about. A woman that big gets her muscle off of fat and protein (clean eating), not carbs. Carbs give you fat and low energy. Fat gives you energy and muscle. Just saying, I probably have more muscle than you, looking at your profile pic. and I have trained with the best in the industry. Just sharing some wisdom here.

Making gains in weight lifting is something you want to have expert trainers helping you with. Go find a gym where some beautiful people lift, then celebrate each lift with a flexing in the mirror moment. True bodybuilders who eat clean. If the trainers are popping caffinne or stims to lift, run away!!! They obviously are eating wrong.

Peace.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Oh but I will say that if you're doing squats AND deadlifts in the same routine, I laugh in your general direction.

And if you're doing squats, deadlifts, AND bent-rows, may God have mercy on your soul....

Squats, deadlifts, and bent-rows, OW-MY!

What?! You've gotta be f***in kidding me?! Ever heard of Mark Rippetoe?!

RIPPETOE is the man and I made so much gains on his routine even at 40 years of age. I just rolled in an extra rest day.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    I know what I'm talking about. A woman that big gets her muscle off of fat and protein (clean eating), not carbs. Carbs give you fat and low energy.

Stop talking about things in which you obviously have no clue.

The human body uses macronutrients in the following manner:

CHO: Energy --> Muscle glycogen storage --> Fat (DNL is very inefficient in humans)

PRO: Energy --> Muscle storage

FAT: Storage --> Energy (only AFTER any available carbs and protein have been used for energy).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html