LADIES!!!! What qualities separate a "real man" from a man?

Replies

• StacyFrisbie
    StacyFrisbie Posts: 159 Member
    A real man is one whose character you never have to question. He lets a woman know he loves her not by what he says, but what he does. He is respectful, so he doesn't do things that would hurt or offend the one he loves. He wants to be a team player, and share in a partnership - both the good and the bad. He has a strong mind, and a strong heart. He puts everything he has into what he loves, and is a role model not only for children, but someone other men would aspire to be like. Basically that describes my husband anyway :-)
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    A man is a MAN. Otherwise he's just a boy. Sort of reminds of the saying "If I were a boy, I'd be a MAN."
    But a lot of things make the distinction.
    Just one example: he knows how to use his head and carry himself.

Edit: He knows how to use his heads, and knows the right time to use each one. ;)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Here you all go...the difinitive answer, via the internet...and edited by me. It's actually been a note on my facebook for a year or so I think now lol.
    An interesting and very accurate little tidbit I found somewhere on the internet. It's surprisingly in line with how I feel, though I did take the time to edit it some, and even add to it. Anything changed by me is in paranthases. If you actually take the time to read it...let me know how you feel about it. Hell, feel free to let me know your thoughts and if you have something to add, I'll amend it.

1.)A REAL MAN respects his mother and places his WOMAN first.

2.) A REAL MAN raises his kids, not JUST out of pocket either.

3.) A REAL MAN supports his woman to develop herself.

4.) A REAL MAN doesn't worry about what others depict as a real man. Walk in his shoes first and then tell him what makes him A REAL MAN.

5.) A REAL MAN doesn't BREAK PROMISES!!! (AMEN!)

6.) A REAL MAN calls you BEAUTIFUL, not hot, sexy, or fine as #$#%.

8.) A REAL MAN calls you on a daily basis - NO MATTER HOW BUSY OR TIRED HE IS. (And I'll be honest...this is even more important if you live together. If he's too self absorbed to take a moment each day to let you know he's thinking of you via phone, text, email, or stopping by your work to see you unexpectedly...walk on).

9.) A REAL MAN looks past what he's heard about you OR WHAT HIS FRIENDS THINK OF YOU!

10.) A REAL MAN wants to spend as much time as he can with you & won't get sick of you.

11.) A REAL MAN comes over JUST to watch movies with you.

12.) A REAL MAN kisses you on the forehead (cheek, lips, shoulder, neck) just because.

13.) A REAL MAN doesn't tell you what he thinks you want to hear. He tells you what's real. (This is HUGE!! This means, even if you're not going to like it, even if it makes you angry at him, even if, in the end...it causes a real problem. Honesty in ANY relationship is PARAMOUNT. This doesn't mean be hurtful...this means be HONEST about how you feel...if she's worth being with, she'll not only handle it, she'll respect the love and faith you put in her by BEING ABLE to be truly honest with her at all times!!).

14.) A REAL MAN should be treated like one.

15.) A REAL MAN doesn't ask questions when you say you need something... him, sex, or money, a bed to sleep in. (Or just simple attention).

16.) A REAL MAN lets others know how he frels about his girl.

17.) A REAL MAN doesn't play games!!!!!!!!!!!

18.) A REAL MAN doesn't leave his girl to go and hang out with his friends if he hasn't seen her in a week and then call her at 4 in the morning because he needs some loving. (Actually, a real man doesn't leave his girl to go hang out with his friends PERIOD. 'Buddy' nights are cool...but if at any time, for ANY reason, his woman is uncomfortable or would just rather him be with her over them...the choice is pretty clear. If they're real friends, they won't care. REAL MEN live by #1 above).

19.) A REAL MAN doesn't deny you.

20.) A REAL MAN doesn't just think about sex. (This doesn't mean sex with YOU should ever be far from his mind...it just means that his love of being with you physically shouldn't be his only priority in your relationship...even if it has to share the top spot with the 'other' priorities lol).

21.) A REAL MAN Doesn't judge a book by the cover. (Take a look at all angles guys...put yourself in others shoes, look from their viewpoint. Often you'll find that you were wrong...and in admitting it, you can be right next time).

22.) A REAL MAN wouldn't use his friendship card to get what he wants.

23.) A REAL MAN knows the difference between a REAL WOMAN and a random girl. (This is hard...love can be blind. REAL MEN aren't proof of mistakes. I think of myself as a REAL MAN, or at least I try to be...and I've made this mistake in the past. Sometimes the heart is wrong...and a REAL MAN, is always true to his heart).

24.)A REAL MAN won't degrade a woman with words nor (SHOULD) he ever put his hand on her in anger.

25.) A REAL MAN sends you flowers just because.

(And #26...written by me, thus the paranthases - A REAL MAN may not fit all of the above criteria, nor is all criteria for being a REAL MAN listed above. He WILL however be willing to recognize his shortcomings and correct them HOWEVER NECESSARY in order to become a better man. He will ALSO be willing to change for the person/people (children/family) he says he loves. Being strong, confident, and true to yourself DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN being a rock that is unwilling to be budged. Your opinions, feelings, and even your morality to an extent should be flexible and able to be corrected/adjusted for a given situation, and to better mate with those of your chosen partner in life (she should be willing to do the same). Being a REAL MAN means you should be so secure in who you are, that you can change NEARLY ALL OF IT if it were necessary, and yet still remain true to the whole).

It's really just something I found online, thought was funny, cleaned it up...and put it on my facebook lol. The capitols on every 'REAL MAN' were too funny not to keep.
  • reese1206
    reese1206 Posts: 229
    First off a Godly Man, Caring, Loyal, Loving, Honest and Compassionate!
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Honest, Trustworthy!! loving, kind, loyal, ( oh wait thats my dog.) : )
    Exactly!!! :laugh:
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    About 3"-4"

what he said
  • kiasmithlewis
    kiasmithlewis Posts: 5 Member
    One who doesn't have to prove himself because he has nothing to prove, he can do it, and is confident.... Someone who is not afraid to try anything, smiles with their eyes and treats their partner right.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    BUMPING to read later!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    I feel like a wuss, my niece painted my nails as I was reading this SMH:ohwell:
  • I feel like a wuss, my niece painted my nails as I was reading this SMH:ohwell:

Aw c:
    Well.... a "real man" has a penis of some sort....

Not necessarily.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    A spine. And is more of a man than me.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    #1 - big... caulking gun
    #2 - protective
    #3 - will do anything to make me laugh

1 + 2 + 3 = perfect man
  • arfog
    arfog Posts: 70 Member
    Respect.
  • Littlemouse1973
    Littlemouse1973 Posts: 21 Member
    I think a REAL MAN is the guy who can wear a pink shirt in public and not feel insecure... Plus 90% of what everyone else has said...
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    A good father

Doesn't do drugs

Doesn't cheat

Never has to degrade others to feel manly

Those are pretty easy standards.

LMAO yes they are. I was hoping somebody would say that.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    I feel like a wuss, my niece painted my nails as I was reading this SMH:ohwell:

Aw c:
    Well.... a "real man" has a penis of some sort....

Not necessarily.

this is a deal breaker for me.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    The first word that popped to mind was the word responsibility. For himself, his life, his kids, his spouse. But really that's just being a grown up, which applies equally to either sex and seems to be more rare than one might hope.

When I hear a question like this I always think of Ruydard Kipling's poem "If"

I pretty much agree with him.

IF you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
    If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    ' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
    if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Here you all go...the difinitive answer, via the internet...and edited by me. It's actually been a note on my facebook for a year or so I think now lol.
    An interesting and very accurate little tidbit I found somewhere on the internet. It's surprisingly in line with how I feel, though I did take the time to edit it some, and even add to it. Anything changed by me is in paranthases. If you actually take the time to read it...let me know how you feel about it. Hell, feel free to let me know your thoughts and if you have something to add, I'll amend it.

1.)A REAL MAN respects his mother and places his WOMAN first.

2.) A REAL MAN raises his kids, not JUST out of pocket either.

3.) A REAL MAN supports his woman to develop herself.

4.) A REAL MAN doesn't worry about what others depict as a real man. Walk in his shoes first and then tell him what makes him A REAL MAN.

5.) A REAL MAN doesn't BREAK PROMISES!!! (AMEN!)

6.) A REAL MAN calls you BEAUTIFUL, not hot, sexy, or fine as #$#%.

8.) A REAL MAN calls you on a daily basis - NO MATTER HOW BUSY OR TIRED HE IS. (And I'll be honest...this is even more important if you live together. If he's too self absorbed to take a moment each day to let you know he's thinking of you via phone, text, email, or stopping by your work to see you unexpectedly...walk on).

9.) A REAL MAN looks past what he's heard about you OR WHAT HIS FRIENDS THINK OF YOU!

10.) A REAL MAN wants to spend as much time as he can with you & won't get sick of you.

11.) A REAL MAN comes over JUST to watch movies with you.

12.) A REAL MAN kisses you on the forehead (cheek, lips, shoulder, neck) just because.

13.) A REAL MAN doesn't tell you what he thinks you want to hear. He tells you what's real. (This is HUGE!! This means, even if you're not going to like it, even if it makes you angry at him, even if, in the end...it causes a real problem. Honesty in ANY relationship is PARAMOUNT. This doesn't mean be hurtful...this means be HONEST about how you feel...if she's worth being with, she'll not only handle it, she'll respect the love and faith you put in her by BEING ABLE to be truly honest with her at all times!!).

14.) A REAL MAN should be treated like one.

15.) A REAL MAN doesn't ask questions when you say you need something... him, sex, or money, a bed to sleep in. (Or just simple attention).

16.) A REAL MAN lets others know how he frels about his girl.

17.) A REAL MAN doesn't play games!!!!!!!!!!!

18.) A REAL MAN doesn't leave his girl to go and hang out with his friends if he hasn't seen her in a week and then call her at 4 in the morning because he needs some loving. (Actually, a real man doesn't leave his girl to go hang out with his friends PERIOD. 'Buddy' nights are cool...but if at any time, for ANY reason, his woman is uncomfortable or would just rather him be with her over them...the choice is pretty clear. If they're real friends, they won't care. REAL MEN live by #1 above).

19.) A REAL MAN doesn't deny you.

20.) A REAL MAN doesn't just think about sex. (This doesn't mean sex with YOU should ever be far from his mind...it just means that his love of being with you physically shouldn't be his only priority in your relationship...even if it has to share the top spot with the 'other' priorities lol).

21.) A REAL MAN Doesn't judge a book by the cover. (Take a look at all angles guys...put yourself in others shoes, look from their viewpoint. Often you'll find that you were wrong...and in admitting it, you can be right next time).

22.) A REAL MAN wouldn't use his friendship card to get what he wants.

23.) A REAL MAN knows the difference between a REAL WOMAN and a random girl. (This is hard...love can be blind. REAL MEN aren't proof of mistakes. I think of myself as a REAL MAN, or at least I try to be...and I've made this mistake in the past. Sometimes the heart is wrong...and a REAL MAN, is always true to his heart).

24.)A REAL MAN won't degrade a woman with words nor (SHOULD) he ever put his hand on her in anger.

25.) A REAL MAN sends you flowers just because.

(And #26...written by me, thus the paranthases - A REAL MAN may not fit all of the above criteria, nor is all criteria for being a REAL MAN listed above. He WILL however be willing to recognize his shortcomings and correct them HOWEVER NECESSARY in order to become a better man. He will ALSO be willing to change for the person/people (children/family) he says he loves. Being strong, confident, and true to yourself DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN being a rock that is unwilling to be budged. Your opinions, feelings, and even your morality to an extent should be flexible and able to be corrected/adjusted for a given situation, and to better mate with those of your chosen partner in life (she should be willing to do the same). Being a REAL MAN means you should be so secure in who you are, that you can change NEARLY ALL OF IT if it were necessary, and yet still remain true to the whole).

It's really just something I found online, thought was funny, cleaned it up...and put it on my facebook lol. The capitols on every 'REAL MAN' were too funny not to keep.

This isn't just a real man, but the PERFECT man :smooched:
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Well, first off, having a weiner helps.

^
    this does help!!
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    I agree with most of the above postings... I would add (ladies don't kill me haha) that I like it when a "real man" takes charge! Sometimes it is nice to take the backseat :)

I second this also.
    I will also back this one up. I agree with others as well, but it'd be too much to quote :tongue: