The Chemical Cause of obesity

http://www.mpbn.net/Home/tabid/36/ctl/ViewItem/mid/3478/ItemId/18497/Default.aspx

This interview gives some indicators as to how certain chemical contaminants in our food supply might be causing endocrine balances that are making us obese.

Replies

• SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Hmmm.... Here I thought it was because we ate too much and exercised too little. Silly me!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    mick, thats funny, and love your quote.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    non gmo just label it
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    ... just one of the reasons to eat Organic, non-GMO, and really low on the food chain - i.e., vegan.

Much less chemical residue that way.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Somebody was absent the day they taught human physiology....
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    http://www.mpbn.net/Home/tabid/36/ctl/ViewItem/mid/3478/ItemId/18497/Default.aspx

This interview gives some indicators as to how certain chemical contaminants in our food supply might be causing endocrine balances that are making us obese.

Thanks for sharing ....wouldn't there be other indicators if a food is throwing us off balance? Eating excessive amounts of any food will make us fat. For example: if I eat too many carbs I will feel horrible. My body will hurt, my stomach will hurt, I will have severe mood swings, I am grumpy, I am lethargic, I am depressed, I am anxious, I am just all around not feeling good. Obviously it throws me off balance. BUT I can still eat nothing but bread and ice cream all day and as long as I'm eating at a deficit, I still lose.

And to that one person that commented, it IS possible to be healthy and NOT vegan or only eat organic. That's bunk.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    For example: if I eat too many carbs I will feel horrible. My body will hurt, my stomach will hurt, I will have severe mood swings, I am grumpy, I am lethargic, I am depressed, I am anxious, I am just all around not feeling good. Obviously it throws me off balance.

Here all this time I thought it was for a completely different reason!! **runs and hides**
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    For example: if I eat too many carbs I will feel horrible. My body will hurt, my stomach will hurt, I will have severe mood swings, I am grumpy, I am lethargic, I am depressed, I am anxious, I am just all around not feeling good. Obviously it throws me off balance.

Here all this time I thought it was for a completely different reason!! **runs and hides**
    :angry:
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Alright... is anyone else annoyed that people are constantly trying to find excuses for overweight? Now its in the food... yeah of course its in the food, its called calories and when you eat more than your body needs then you become obese. Its called math.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Alright... is anyone else annoyed that people are constantly trying to find excuses for overweight? Now its in the food... yeah of course its in the food, its called calories and when you eat more than your body needs then you become obese. Its called math.

This!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,310 Member
    Oh, good. Now that we know, we can all get on with finally losing that pesky weight.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member

Lol

Exactly!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member

Yeah, get an environmentalist to say that chemicals are causing issues and he'll get a grant from the government to study it more..........................
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    obesity1.jpg
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    obesity1.jpg

LMAO!!!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    That image is bothersome. It's LOSE not LOOSE.

Obesity is a complex issue - I don't pretend to understand it entirely and unless you're an expert with peer reviewed research papers on the issue maybe you shouldn't either :/
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member

Obesity is a complex issue - I don't pretend to understand it entirely and unless you're an expert with peer reviewed research papers on the issue maybe you shouldn't either :/

Incorrect! Obesity isnt complex. It's simply calories in vs calories burnt. Countless studies have shown that from the McDonald's to junk food diets even. Now being healthy is a complex answer.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member

English spelling varies by country. LOOSE is probably the British spelling. If not, it makes for a great pun.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    I am not so skeptical. women who take the birth control pill gain weight. It's one of the normal side effects of the hormone. Plastic contains estrogen-mimics that have an impact on the endocrine system. Given that everything is packaged in plastic, it is totally impossible to get rid of the effects, unless we make massive changes to the way plastics are used in our society. The Romans used lead to line their pipes. We make ours out of plastic.

However, I might make small changes: store left-overs in glass containers, make sure my water bottle isn't plastic, use glass in the micro-wave, stuff like that. And there is also the possibility of joining those activists trying to raise public consciousness of the down side of using plastics.

If science can inform our daily routine for the better, I am all for it.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member

English spelling varies by country. LOOSE is probably the British spelling. If not, it makes for a great pun.

I assure you that those of us speaking and writing British English make a clear distinction between loose and lose. It's lose, unless you can't spell.

On the original topic - yes, there is quite good evidence that some chemicals, notably the estrogen disrupting compounds (EDCs) can affect metabolism and a host of other bodily functions. EDCs find their way into the environment via waste water contaminated with excreted artificial hormones taken by both humans and animals. There is a large and well-supported literature on this. However when it comes to obesity, I like to apply the adage 'hear hoofbeats - think horses not zebras' - it is far, far more likely that any given obese individual is that way because of simple caloric excess. Not evil chemicals hidden in the otherwise perfectly normal amount of food they are eating.