The Chemical Cause of obesity

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Michael Pollan's "In Defense Of Food" is an extremely informative and interesting book about how complicated the whole food situation is in the US. Yes, it's as simple as eating better, but that's not always so simple itself.
    I recommend this book highly.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    http://www.mpbn.net/Home/tabid/36/ctl/ViewItem/mid/3478/ItemId/18497/Default.aspx

This interview gives some indicators as to how certain chemical contaminants in our food supply might be causing endocrine balances that are making us obese.
    Yeah, get an environmentalist to say that chemicals are causing issues and he'll get a grant from the government to study it more..........................

Precisely.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    http://www.mpbn.net/Home/tabid/36/ctl/ViewItem/mid/3478/ItemId/18497/Default.aspx

This interview gives some indicators as to how certain chemical contaminants in our food supply might be causing endocrine balances that are making us obese.

Oh look another excuse for people to use on why they're fat and then stuff their faces with chips. It's not the chips, it's the chemical contaminants.

I've recently been watching a few weight loss programmes on TV for motivation and one of them takes fat families and puts them through tests that debunks all their 'I'm fat because I'm big boned' or 'I'm fat because of genetics' and shows them that really they're just lying to themselves over the bad food choices they are making.

Stuff like this really annoys me.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member

Oh look another excuse for people to use on why they're fat and then stuff their faces with chips. It's not the chips, it's the chemical contaminants.

I've recently been watching a few weight loss programmes on TV for motivation and one of them takes fat families and puts them through tests that debunks all their 'I'm fat because I'm big boned' or 'I'm fat because of genetics' and shows them that really they're just lying to themselves over the bad food choices they are making.

Okay, so. What about the availability of healthy food? The expense of it?
    Calorie for calorie, it's often easier to get crappy food and a lot cheaper. Especially in urban settings. McDonald's, until recently, had a pretty big presence in school cafeterias, complete with super-sized HFC-filled sodas. It's about culture. Not everything is that simple, it's a very complex problem. YES, it's about making healthy choices, but there are often a lot of obstacles in the way.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member

Calorie for calorie, it's often easier to get crappy food and a lot cheaper. Especially in urban settings. McDonald's, until recently, had a pretty big presence in school cafeterias, complete with super-sized HFC-filled sodas. It's about culture. Not everything is that simple, it's a very complex problem. YES, it's about making healthy choices, but there are often a lot of obstacles in the way.

Yes and no.
    Yes some people can't afford the best kinds of food.

And here's the no.
    Here's a newsflash, not all of them are fat. Why? Because they don't eat too much.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member

Speaking from experience I've found it's MUCH cheaper to eat one serving of broccoli, one serving of chicken, and one serving of brown rice, compared to the 3 or 4 servings of each I was having before.

The argument that it's more expensive to eat healthy doesn't hold water. My broccoli, chicken, rice meal costs about $4. Ever seen an obese person spend less than $4 at McDonalds. I never did.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member

Speaking from experience I've found it's MUCH cheaper to eat one serving of broccoli, one serving of chicken, and one serving of brown rice, compared to the 3 or 4 servings of each I was having before.

The argument that it's more expensive to eat healthy doesn't hold water. My broccoli, chicken, rice meal costs about $4. Ever seen an obese person spend less than $4 at McDonalds. I never did.

Yeah I was going to say carrots, rice, celery, peanut butter, and lettuce are all very cheap. A lot of the problem is people don't cook anymore, they eat out so often.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member

Yeah, get an environmentalist to say that chemicals are causing issues and he'll get a grant from the government to study it more..........................

If governments have funds to give out, environmental study is a good way to spend it. That way we can do better preventive medicine.
    Precisely.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Plus, other than weight gain, there are other good reasons to avoid plastics. Because they are estrogen mimics, they are leading to the decline of the male principle in nature. Estrogen and estrogen mimic pollution in the Thames river is causing a decline sperm count in men. In the St Laurence river, downstream from the Great Lakes and the big industrial cities, fish and whales are inter-sex. This means that their gonads are both male and female at once. Male gonads are full of eggs, for example. I have a personal suspicion that the growth of gay culture may have a biological base in a supply of drinking water loaded with estrogen. Studies documenting this stuff are all available by doing a search on google.

It's interesting to see that it has an impact on fat as well, though I agree with most posting here that the supersize phenomenon is also a great cause of obesity.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member

Umm... McDonald's combo seven bucks maybe? The grilled chicken breast and rice I'm planning for dinner 1.15$. What does an urban setting have to do with anything? Are brains smaller there?
  • koosdel
    Plus, other than weight gain, there are other good reasons to avoid plastics. Because they are estrogen mimics, they are leading to the decline of the male principle in nature. Estrogen and estrogen mimic pollution in the Thames river is causing a decline sperm count in men. In the St Laurence river, downstream from the Great Lakes and the big industrial cities, fish and whales are inter-sex. This means that their gonads are both male and female at once. Male gonads are full of eggs, for example. I have a personal suspicion that the growth of gay culture may have a biological base in a supply of drinking water loaded with estrogen. Studies documenting this stuff are all available by doing a search on google.

It's interesting to see that it has an impact on fat as well, though I agree with most posting here that the supersize phenomenon is also a great cause of obesity.

Well that explains why I feel bloated today. Damn municipal water.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    You guys are naive if you think that your weight is ONLY related to the amount you eat versus the amount of calories you expend.

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have no idea what caused it. It's probably genetic, because it goes back several generations, and I'm not going to blame it on food contamination, since my grandma has it too, and she grows 80% of what she eats.

However, I get really pissed when people say that hormones don't play a factor in weight loss.

No, hormones should not be used as an excuse to stay a healthy weight, but if your hormones are off, it's going to be a hell of a lot harder to lose weight.

When I tried counting calories and working out a lot, I did lose a few pounds, but I was tired and hungry all the time. It wasn't worth it. Now that my hormones are balanced better, I am not as hungry, and I have more energy. I don't even have to count calories anymore and the weight is starting to fall off.

I also get a little pissed about people blaming homosexuality on the water. There have been gay people long before water was being treated. Just because they were in the closet doesn't mean they didn't exist.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member

In the Philippines, healthy food is expensive and I mean really expensive. Many of the population eat the same processed, cheap foods we do, but the population doesn't suffer from being overweight or obese.
    There has been a nutrition professor and one other author who documented (on film) eating nothing but junk food and losing weight, having their cholesterol go lower and their triglycerides reduce.
    Weight loss basically comes down to calories in and out. You can enhance it with better food choices, but you lose weight when you're in consistent deficit.
  • ninerbuff

If governments have funds to give out, environmental study is a good way to spend it. That way we can do better preventive medicine.
    We have preventive medicine already for weight gain................it's called "don't eat too much".
  • ninerbuff
    You guys are naive if you think that your weight is ONLY related to the amount you eat versus the amount of calories you expend.

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have no idea what caused it. It's probably genetic, because it goes back several generations, and I'm not going to blame it on food contamination, since my grandma has it too, and she grows 80% of what she eats.

However, I get really pissed when people say that hormones don't play a factor in weight loss.

No, hormones should not be used as an excuse to stay a healthy weight, but if your hormones are off, it's going to be a hell of a lot harder to lose weight.

When I tried counting calories and working out a lot, I did lose a few pounds, but I was tired and hungry all the time. It wasn't worth it. Now that my hormones are balanced better, I am not as hungry, and I have more energy. I don't even have to count calories anymore and the weight is starting to fall off.

I also get a little pissed about people blaming homosexuality on the water. There have been gay people long before water was being treated. Just because they were in the closet doesn't mean they didn't exist.
    While it's true that hormones do play a role (as well as genetics), the majority of people who are overweight/obese got that way by eating TOO MUCH. That's probably not going to be disputed.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376

You realize that you are NOT representative of the vast majority of the population, right? Hypothyroidism affects around 5% of the population. For the other 95%, it's not relevant.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member

I have also read about the damaging effects of phytoestrogens etc on the endocrine systems of many animals, including humans. So yes, there is something to be concerned about.
    But no I don't think it's responsible for the level of obesity we see.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member

Don't laugh. Most young men today have half the sperm their fathers did. Which is still plenty, but still..
  • koosdel

Don't laugh. Most young men today have half the sperm their fathers did. Which is still plenty, but still..

How do you know how much sperm my father had?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member

How do you know how much sperm my father had?

tumblr_lq9vdqIZeb1qc0xkao1_500.jpg