5k times for the heavier folks

Options
Ive searched the net and looked thru a heard of post here about 5k times. I see a lot of 5k's in the 20 and 30 min range but a good chunk of them seem to be by folks less than 200 lbs. Im looking for folks 250 lbs or heaving (300+ would be better) that have done a 5k. I managed to jog (crawl) 3.1 miles nonstop the other day and it took me 45:35. While I know this is slow as can be but then again Im 306 lbs. So fess up fellow fatties, anyone else out there attempt an official or unofficial 5k and live to tell about it? Im just trying to get an idea of how bad or actually how good my time might be.

I love chicken...

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I think that's a fine time. My first 5k was at about 207 and it was 39 minutes and some change. Mostly though, just aim to do a little better every time. You don't need to worry about other people. You need to worry about you.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My first 5K time was like 52 mins.
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    my first 5k i was around 250 and my time was around 46 mins.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was at 250lbs (I'm 6'3). 24:08. To get better at anything, no matter the disabilitating factor, you need to keep doing it.
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    The only time I did a 5K was about 7 years ago and I was probably about 235-240 lbs. I seem to recall finishing in 41 minutes.
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I n't been able to run a mile consecutively yet, but honestly my goal for that is under an hour and work down from there. From the sounds of it, you're doing good.
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    I'm not in the weight range you noted, but my 5k time was 42:12 and I was ecstatic and proud :-) Honestly, its all relative. The fact that we are competing in these races is a feat in itself :-)

I have my next 5k in 2 weeks, and am hoping to come in at about 40 minutes. I have also signed up for a 10k and fully expect it to take me 80 minutes.

Happy running!
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was when I was at 345lbs. I know it took me over an hour. Maybe 1:20, walked the whole way...embarrassingly had to take a breather about 3/4 through, and I finished DEAD LAST! That's not me anymore!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for a 5k and my practice times are around 45 mins. I'm 188 lbs. It really depends on your fitness level more than your weight.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I'm 198 and did my first 5k today. I came in at around 41:59. I don't know the exact number, that's just what I saw right before crossing the finish line. I've only been running for just over a month, so I'm pretty proud of that number, especially since it was in an extremely hilly area of town!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My first one when I was 245'ish I did 32min.
  • KazziaLlewellynn
    KazziaLlewellynn Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am 338 and am doing my first 5k this coming Saturday. I'm going to be the Race for the Cure. So I'll let you know. Bumping this to my topics.
  • Maputi
    Maputi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    but you finished. the process is as important as the product.
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see I'm not the only seriously obese person to ever feel like donning a pair of running shoes and signing up for a 5k. But I did feel bad posting my time...seriously all you 30-45 minute guys. Slow down for the fat girls like me!! LOL
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5K today with 2 people in that range. One finished just under 40 minutes and the other in about 49 minutes.

Don't worry about your speed. That will come in time if you stay consistent. Be proud of yourself for doing it. Every day you make the decisions to get yourself out there for a run is a day closer to your goals.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your NSV! The first time I ran a full mile I was STOKED. I started running about 40 pounds ago, and even at average weight, I'm still a pretty slow runner compared to some people. My 5k times range from 34-38 minutes.

Focus on your accomplishments and don't worry too much about speed.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for posting your times. It looks like Im on par with my age/weight. I know there are 100 of other factors involved but I was just curious where I stood in relation to everyone else. Ive looked at race results but all they say is sex, age, and time.

@bregalad5 Congrats!

@Kazzia Good Luck! My wife and a good chunk of her family just did the Race for the Cure 5k walk.

@photogrrl Trust me, when I looked down at my phone (cardio trainer) and saw I passed the 1 mile mark I couldnt believe it. When I looked at my HRM watch and saw my heart wasnt ready to explode, I was floored. I never expected to hit a mile while being over 300 lbs just like I didnt expect to do a 5k either. Before that my best distance was .6 miles. Speed? Im fairly sure as people drive by and see me jogging they get their cell phone out to call 911 waiting for me to hit the floor. Speed and me were never friends growing up.

@MlleDee There is absolutely no reason to feel bad posting your time. Your time is what it is and the only way to change it is to get back out there. By posting it you may have just helped other 300+ folks to get off their butt and put on a pair of running shoes. Thats part of the reason I posted this. I havent seen many post about us SOON to be skinnier folks even attempting a 5k. As others have put it, were out there trying and thats all that matters.

Thanks again everyone!
  • urbanmasala
    urbanmasala Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I have no idea about the times for heavier people, as I have never run since being over 200 lbs. Heck, I barely get out and walk because it bothers my lower back and hips, BUT...after reading this, I feel so inspired. I was thinking I might start after I lost a few more pounds, but I'm going to step it up and give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration! ;-)
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I was lighter than 250 at my first 5k, I was 5'7 230 lbs, I finished at 34 minutes. It is definately more about fitness level than weight though.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I have no idea about the times for heavier people, as I have never run since being over 200 lbs. Heck, I barely get out and walk because it bothers my lower back and hips, BUT...after reading this, I feel so inspired. I was thinking I might start after I lost a few more pounds, but I'm going to step it up and give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration! ;-)

You can definitely do it! Do NOT be afraid to walk if you have to. Take a look at the C25k program if you want something structured, or use lamp posts/mailboxes/driveways/anything that will give you intervals as motivation :smile: