5k times for the heavier folks

Options

Replies

• amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have walked 2 5K's at around 48 mins each time. Today I walked 2.8 miles in 40 mins. I'm 154 pounds but loathe cardio so I say its good for me. Next weekend I'll be doing my 3rd 5K.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    31yr old, 6'3, male

1st 5K Sept 2011
    time 46:56
    weight 335 lbs.
    Wogged it. 60% jog 40% walk

2nd 5K Oct. 2011
    time 46:25
    weight 330 lbs.
    Jogged 75% walked 25%
    was super proud besides improving on time, this course had lots of hills. including a long S curve that = almost 300 feet in elevation.

3rd 5K training just this past weekend.
    Time 42:51
    weight 330 lbs.
    Jogged 85% walked 15%

edit: oops put a 2 instead of a 4 :blushing:
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your posting! It takes me about an hour to do a 5k, if I am going as fast as I can I can maybe do it in 50+ minutes - if I am doing a hauling butt but not enough to kill me pace an hour

I actually wanted to enter a women's charity event for a 5km but they had a 45 minute time limit- crazy as I was entering simply to do it and raise money for charity not to compete for a prize!!
  • tlcoke
    tlcoke Posts: 10
    Options
    I did my first 5K on October 1st. I walked 3 miles and jogged the last .1 miles. I finished in 58.59 but that includes the 4 minutes it took to get to the official start line. My goal was to finish in under an hour. My training walks were usually in the 52 -55 minute range.

I hope to do another one in the future and better my time with more jogging and less walking.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @JeninBelgium Your welcome if that was directed at me :) At this point in life, finishing the 5k is the prize. I might do a 5k soon so I have an excuse to get new clothes.

@amccrazgrl The funny thing is, Im sure my walking speed and jogging speed isnt far off. The main dif for me was my heart rate stayed up when I attempted to jog. I was the same way, anything cardio was against my religion for a long time. Im a stay at home dad right now and some days its just a way to get out of the house.

@tlcoke my wife did the Race for the Cure 5k and said it was around 5-10 mins before they got to the official start line. They were walking for a bit then went, "WTH! I thought we already started!"
  • mamalissa
    Options
    I walked a 5K in April while pushing my daughters in a double-stroller. Definitely not going for time, was the absolute last person to cross the finish line. Granted, we got the girls out and jogged across the finish line. Friends took the stroller. Time was 58 mins. I was happy to finish under an hour!

As a kid I ran 5K's with my siblings and dad. I remember finishing dead last when I was 9!!!! My time: 36:16!!!! It was hard to finish a 5K last as a kid. But, it didn't stop me! I ran cross country and long-distance track (the 1 mile and 2 mile). My best mile time was something like 7:11 or something, I was super thrilled. I tended to be the 2nd to last slowest in high school.

I put on 50 lbs as a college freshman. And eventually doubled my weight (from 130 to 260) ... I got down to 201 about 6 yrs ago... then put on 30 (in 3 months) after I lost my son (in a house fire, when he was 6). Then I gained another 18 lbs in a year after having my youngest daughter!

Anyway, the point of all that history was to say that, though a runner as a child/teen, I hadn't ran in over 15 years!!! I tried and couldn't even last 30 seconds!!! quite a wake up call. i started the C25K program in April and started running a 5K weekly back in September! The first time I jog/walked a full 5K my time was 42:44!

Then, I ran 40:15 and 38:15.... My last 5K was the day before my son's (would've been) 12th bday... I haven't run another since. Oh btw, my weight when running these 5K's was about 230 lbs...

sorry for the super long reply. thanks for reading, those who did!

peace, melissa
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Did my first 5K back in mid August. I weighed 247 and finished in 42:31. Couldn't run the whole thing and had to walk some.
    Second 5K was October 1st, weighed 232 and finished in 34:50. Ran the whole thing, no walking.

Aiming for the 30 min mark for my next 5K.
  • KazziaLlewellynn
    KazziaLlewellynn Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Okay well I did the race for the cure and even with a 10 minute traffic stop (thanks to a firefighter changing shirts) and jogging while my partner took a potty break I finished in 1 hour and 10 mins. Sad but I could not go faster for all the other 45000 women on a 3 mile stretch.
  • freew67
    Options
    My wife had the same issue. There was so many people doing it that time really wasnt the goal... You finished, congrats!
  • chairperson
    Options
    Bump Bump! 5Ks abound this time of year and I'm in a similar boat.

I have no qualms about walking/hiking 3/5/8/12 miles, whatever, but running kills me. I've faltered on my c25k diligence in favor of other cardio work that would keep my heart rate at a more even pace. My heart rate spikes like crazy as soon as I try to run. I plan on getting back on the c25k bandwagon over the next month in prep for the 5k, but I have no misconceptions about the fact that I'll be walking much of it.

I've looked for similar advice on what kind of times I should dream about and found little, so this is a great thread. I'd done the math though on my own and figured that 45 minutes should be attainable with a mix of walking, running, and gasping. :)
  • freew67
    Options
    While I know they say dont compare yourself to other folks, its hard not to. 45 mins (about a 15 min mile) is where Im at right now. Im down to 260 lbs now (300 when I posted this) but my time really hasnt improved. Yesterday I did manage to get a little over 3 miles in without really getting my heart rate up much. I was actually shooting to jog 4 miles but my HRM went on the fritz for a bit. Ive been working on my breathing some (since I think that was part of 1 mile and dead.. I mean done), paying attention to my form a bit, plus just trying not to push it too much too soon. Youtube has GOBS on vids.

Last week I finally managed to jog a mile under 15 mins for the first time (14:23). Speed is not something that has ever been said about me before... in sports. I would love to do a 5+ miles but when you have 2 little boys along for the walk in a stroller, they tend to win out with, "I WANT TO GO HOME!" lol

If you have a smartphone, get mapmyrun, cardiotrainer, or any one of those apps to help keep track of times. If not, cell or watch, plus Google Earth can help. Map out your path with Google Earth to get an idea of what a 5k would be. I actually think you can do this with MapMyRun site also (prob easier as well).

I plan on doing a 5k soon if I can find one local. Walk, run, log roll, ask the EMT to wheel you across the line on the stretcher, who cares, just be proud you finished!
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am currently just under your weight range (yay!) - 241# 5' 9" female. I have been walking 5ks for a year or two now, and usually finish them in around 52-54 minutes. I just did one on Saturday that I jogged and walked and finished 46:19 - my fasted yet! I wasn't planning on jogging, so of course didn't wear the right shoes, but I felt good enough to do it and did. :)
  • fatguy_fitness
    fatguy_fitness Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I just finished up with the Couch-to-5K program and completed my first 5K this past weekend. I'm 32, 6'2" and about 320lbs. (down from 343 when I started the program a little over 9 weeks ago.) My main goal was to just run the whole thing and not stop to walk. I ended up feeling pretty good and was happy with my time, especially since it was a pretty hilly coarse. I finished with a time of 38:31.
  • avanderburg
    Options
    I know this post is old, but I just ran my first ever 5k this past weekend, and im 248lbs, I ran it is 46.5 minutes. I have been training using the Galloway Method of Run/Walk/Run. so i think i did okay, i will aim to be better! you did great btw.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Your times are quicker than mine and I'm lighter than you! My first 5K I did at about 185 pounds I think and it took me 48 minutes. I jogged about 25% of it and walked the rest. That was outside running. I did my second 5K last week on the treadmill and it took me 55:56! I now weight about 200 and it was my first time on a treadmill in 2 months after injury. I would say jogged about 15-20% of it and walked the rest.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    good for you doing it, i am on the c25k, and not finished 5k, well done
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I heard that Paul Ryan once ran a 5k in 3 minutes and 14 seconds.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I can comfortably run 5k in 30-35 mins
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was 37 minutes at 225 lbs. I've gotten it down now to just under 30 minutes at 190 lbs.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My first 5k I did in my neighborhood and it took me 50 mins. I walked and jogged about 50/50. (i was around 300 lbs)

My second one at a real race was 43 mins at about 260 pounds

My third one I was closer to 230 and did it in 41 mins (a real 5k)

Recently at 210 I did a 5k in the neighborhood at 39:45 (some walking mostly jogging)

Remember you are only racing yourself!! Who cares what others do? Also when I sign up for a 5k I check the previous year's times. I like seeing where I would rank and there will prob be people bhind me.