Losing inches but not weight?

Options
I know I should be glad that I'm losing inches but I'm beginning to wonder when the weight will catch up. I keep going back and forth between the same 3 lbs. (189-192) and it's getting frustrating. I haven't lost weight in about a month, but within that time, I've dropped a pants size. I shouldn't still be this heavy.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You are having a nsv. Non scale victory! Congratulations:flowerforyou:
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    me too! And people tell me i'm losing weight but im not. I keep losing and gaining the same weight :(
  • slickracer
    Options
    Your building muscle which weighs more per volume than fat. The good news is that it burns more calories which helps you drop the rest of the weight.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    Your building muscle which weighs more per volume than fat. The good news is that it burns more calories which helps you drop the rest of the weight.

Yes, but how much muscle could I possibly be building doing only C25K?
  • bwalters82
    Options
    Inches are more important! Stop being brain washed by our scale-driven society. Be happy!:smile:
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That JUST happened to me recently! I was holding steady at 165.8 for like three weeks and I was getting really discouraged so I took my measurements and was like WHAAAA... I had lost a full inch off the widest part of my hips. And then a couple of days after that the scale was at 163.4. I think the inch is more meaningful, but I got WAY more excited when I saw the change on the scale...:smile:
  • Bluejay789
    Options
    I did that the month of September. It took me 3 1/2 weeks to drop 1 pound. You are in a plateau right now.

Try adding sodium to your diary, you could have 1-3 pounds in water weight.

I added sodium, I threw out my sea salt shaker from my lunch bag that I carry to work and I stopped salting my food for dinner.

I then dropped 3 pounds and have continued to drop since. It was the worst thing ever to be working out eating right and not seeing the scale move in almost 4 weeks. Now I am past the plateau and watching my sodium. Amazing now that I do not salt my food, I actually taste the salt in the food.

Try that, I also have some tips from errors I have made since being on MFP, if you want them send me message and ask for the tips, I will be glad to share as the adjustments I have made in my eating has paid off and I am losing weekly now.

You can do it, if I can you can too!

Claire
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi...We have very similar goals! I've been going through the same thing recently. Where I was stuck between 195 - 193 for a month all while loosing inches. I decided to tweak my eating a little bit and made sure I was logging foods correctly by building my recipes exactly as cooked, changed up my workout routine and started drinking a gallon of water per day. I finally moved 1.3lbs last week. So try to change things up a little!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't care if I was 300lbs and a size 10 jeans. I would rather see my progress in the mirror than on the scale.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    I'm considering changing my diet, but I don't even know where to start.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Have you tried zigzag zagging?
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I would throw a freakin party if I lost a pants size.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options

You can start by trying to remove as much prepackage food as possible. There is an unbelievable amount of sodium in packaged foods.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options

You can start by trying to remove as much prepackage food as possible. There is an unbelievable amount of sodium in packaged foods.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

1. Start trying replace eating whole grain instead refined flour, such as have brown rice (I found short grain brown rice taste very nutty and soft), use whole grain bread/bagel/waffle, etc. Make sure you read the "ingredients" to make sure "whole grain" is the first ingredient. Eat more sweet potato instead of regular (not saying potato is not good, but sweet potato is better)

2. Try up you protein and lower a little bit of your carb intake (corn is starchy, count as carb not vegi. Just an example)

3. Eat more vegi and fruits. Don't think your fiber intake is enough, aim for 20+ daily

4. Noticed your sodium is kind of high some days. With around 1500 calories daily intake, try aim 1800 for sodium.

5. Add strength training, core body workout to your C25K exercises. It'll make a different in your weight lose.

6. Drink a lot of water.

7. Use a HRM (if you haven't) to get an more accurate burn; Use a scale if you like to get more accurate amount how much you are eating, and log everything put in your mouth.

Good luck
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Every pound of muscle is equivalent to 4lbs of fat. You'd be surprised in the difference! Keep going by measurements... After all, aren't you more concerned with how your clothes fit and how you look and feel, than what the scale says? Try not weighing in for a couple weeks and see what happens.

As far as changing your diet, I would recommend shooting for a 40/30/30 mix to balance out your carbs, fat and protein. Also, the fewer refined foods you ingest, the better.

Best of luck!
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Same exact thing has been happening to me and i got the same answers. I thought, how could I possibly be gaining THAT much muscle, I can barely use the 8lb weights. But now a few of the pounds have dropped and before they did I had lost inches as well so for the most part all of these answers are true. Just keeping doing what you're doing :)
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This just about sums it up. Thanks!!!

1. Start trying replace eating whole grain instead refined flour, such as have brown rice (I found short grain brown rice taste very nutty and soft), use whole grain bread/bagel/waffle, etc. Make sure you read the "ingredients" to make sure "whole grain" is the first ingredient. Eat more sweet potato instead of regular (not saying potato is not good, but sweet potato is better)

2. Try up you protein and lower a little bit of your carb intake (corn is starchy, count as carb not vegi. Just an example)

3. Eat more vegi and fruits. Don't think your fiber intake is enough, aim for 20+ daily

4. Noticed your sodium is kind of high some days. With around 1500 calories daily intake, try aim 1800 for sodium.

5. Add strength training, core body workout to your C25K exercises. It'll make a different in your weight lose.

6. Drink a lot of water.

7. Use a HRM (if you haven't) to get an more accurate burn; Use a scale if you like to get more accurate amount how much you are eating, and log everything put in your mouth.

Good luck
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Yes, but how much muscle could I possibly be building doing only C25K?

You are not building muscles. Since you started working out, you body most likely just changing composition, and it does take a few weeks or longer to do that before you'll notice weight drop.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    My scale has been stuck for a week or two but I can actually FIND my muscles now whereas there used to be virtually no evidence of their existence. LOL It's frustrating to not see that number moving but if you are noticing a difference in your size then you are definitely making progress. The number on the scale may betray you but your shrinking inches don't lie - you are making progress.