Is it only here in the UK...

Options
HMonsterX
HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
...where we hate Halloween?

Or is it simply in this area where i live?

It's a terrible time of year. Bunches of chavs going round in a sheet, demanding money or they'll slash your car tyres...

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    And its a wonderful excuse for people to dress up like sluts

um, a nurse costume is not HALLOWEEN.
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    how can you hate Halloween?! It is soo much fun! cheezy decor and candy and dressing up to act like a fool one night a year?
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    That doesn't happen here, but nobody DOES anything for halloween, it's a nothing day.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    Love Love Halloween!!!!:smile:
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Where you live??

I dont like my children going out begging, but in our neighbourhood all the children go to each others houses, we leave stuff outside and go to parites where we open the door to people...

for us it is just a time for fun and dress up... My children love it, and it is the only time of the year they get sweets.. LOL

xx
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Halloween is different in North America. It does suck in the UK.
  • Katherine1687
    Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I dislike it.

I put a note on the door saying we have nothing for trick or treaters and refuse to answer the door.

I don't like the idea of celebrating anything evil and feel very intimidated during Halloween
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I love Halloween. We have a lot of kids in our neighborhood, and it's usually one big neighborhood party. We usually do "grown up" halloween the day before.
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I agree

its just F£**K wits going round scaring old people and trying to get money.

a few years back some little gits threw eggs at my front widow.......until i caught the little git , lifted him up and wiped his face in in......

needless to say kids dont come to my house
  • justbustedmezip
    Options
    I live in the UK, and I LOVE Halloween! One of my favourite nights of the year <3
  • karenjoy
    Options
    it's not a big thing in the UK, not a major deal at all, getting built up now by retailers as an excuse to get people to buy crap, but all my life nobody ever did anything for halloween, never had anyone knock on the door for trick or treat and only ever saw people celebrate it in films
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    We once gave some candy to a few native kids when i was in college...when the kids left, they egged our house.

So naturally we chased them down, caught the one who did, brought him back and wiped it all up with his hat.

Here's a photo we took:

229457_6717898481_500843481_254414_2043_n.jpg

It's actually even on video, really dark but you can hear one of us say 'throw another egg, and we'll take ya to the henhouse!'...no clue what that means.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    halloween is one of my fav holidays, its fun seeing the kids dress up to go trick or treating and i love decorating with fake spiders and stuff :D
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Where I live (small village in Somerset UK) it is just little kids (with parents watching) coming around for sweeties. A bit irritating but not horrible. One year I dressed up as a witch, green face and all and scared the crap out of them when I opened the door.:devil:

My husband would ignore them all night but I usually get a great big tub of goodies and just dole it out all night. I don't mind too much.
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    I'm glad I grew up military. On post/base everyone is generally fun, younger adults who are open minded making Halloween fun for the kids. I have seen Halloween in civilian housing and it just seems different. So I guess Halloween level of enjoyment can depend on your community?

I still love it as an adult. no sexy costumes for me. last year I was a hot dog. It was silly and fun and everyone loved it.
  • Ritala1987
    Ritala1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Its definatley an american thing...i have an american friend and every halloween she gets terribly homesick!
    In NZ its not that big but its an excuse for a party...not many kids out and about either, and ive been in UK a couple of times for halloween and can honestly say i never saw or even noticed that it was halloween lol
  • karenjoy
    Options
    OH MY GOD, that is NOT a child and it looks like you beat him up or something, jeez
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I like the day after Halloween when candy goes on clerance!

I'm in the US, but the boyfriends bday is Halloween and he is pretty anti-holiday. I'm a nice girlfriend so I just chill with him and do birthday stuff so I don't notice too many Halloween going ons... except the plethora of skanky costumes... sexy Nemo? That was painful to see.

They have too many curfews and stuff around here too... I think last year it was 5pm! I don't even see kids out anymore :( It makes me sad.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    So do you all give treats? Or does anyone trick? What do you do for a trick?

My trick is lock my gate don`t let the chavs near the door.

I agree with the OP

I think it is an American thing that has come to the UK in the last 10 years and been hijacked by scrounging kids
  • Ritala1987
    Ritala1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    We once gave some candy to a few native kids when i was in college...when the kids left, they egged our house.

So naturally we chased them down, caught the one who did, brought him back and wiped it all up with his hat.

Here's a photo we took:

229457_6717898481_500843481_254414_2043_n.jpg

It's actually even on video, really dark but you can hear one of us say 'throw another egg, and we'll take ya to the henhouse!'...no clue what that means.

Whats a native kid? lol