weight goal vs. size goal.... what is your vote

Options
When I began my journey i was focused only on losing weight...... and while I am a "daily weigher" yes I admitt it. It keeps me focused. I am beginning to think that instead of shooting for a number (135) I would rather aim for a size (we'll say 6-8) a nice lean fit 6-8..... so what is your preference???? Are you aiming for a certain weight... or a size....

Replies

• JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, it was a weight goal. Now, it's more of a size goal. I started at a TIGHT 26 bottoms and 18/20 tops. After losing 100+ lbs, I'm in a 14 top, and 18 bottom. My goal is 175lbs, but I'd love to be a size 12/14, and I could care less what number is on the scale.

I too am a scale-a-holic, and would love to weigh daily, but it makes me crazy. I stick to once a week now.
  • hstallings13
    Options
    more a size than a weight. I'd like to see 140, but at the same time if I go below a size 8 I start looking sickly and awful cause of my build, so I'm really shooting for a comfy 8 and if 140 hits that then so be it, if not then oh well
  • xlovemehalwaiyzx
    Options
    me, the size.. i would love to be a size 9. before i started losing weight i was almost a size 15 now my size 13's are falling off of me but can't get into my size 11's. i just would love to be a size 9. which i haven't been in many many years!
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My goal is the same as yours! I don't know that I've ever been a size that didn't start with a 1. I think at first it's a bout weight. Size focus can come later with toning.

I'm a daily weigher as well.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Typically it should coincide. My goal is 180. However, I may want to keep going if I am still carrying a little fat around the belly. I may need to reconsider where I should actually be at a healthy BMI. So we'll see... The more muscle/less fat weights can change.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know. Because I began to pack on the weight before I hit my full height, I don't know what size I can actually be, nor what weight will be ideal. for now i let the doctors tell me what weight to shoot for. maybe when I get closer, it will be up to me :-)

That said, I sure would not mind a lucky number 7. but is that realistic for someone who is 5'7" ? Don't know! lol
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    That's a tough question. My goal, like you, is to weigh 135 lbs. However, I think that although I put WAY too much emphasis on the number on the scale, I'll be ok with being a size 6. Right now I'm a size 8, but would love to be comfortable in a 6. I've been at this for 6 months and haven't lost a whole lot of pounds, but the inches have come off. I'm thinking the size will come way before the number on the scale does.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Initially it was weight - but now it is size - I started in a size 26 bottoms - currently a 14 - and my ultimate goal is a size 12 bottoms - so the end is in sight!!!

Having said that I still weigh every day - but I am not going to fixate about the final scale number - I am training pretty hard - and lifting more and more impressive weights - and then the number on the scale becomes a less accurate reflection of what your body actually looks / presents as...

Oh - and as my motto says : I don't have a goal weight - i have a goal life!! And that is the most important thing in the end of the day - I am living my goal life every day now, and for that I will be eternally thankfull!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Neither. I had a goal fitness in mind, primarily. I wanted to be able to run a 5k. Then a 10k. Now I want to get faster at both.

But for the external, it was more about reducing mushiness and excessive jiggle. I don't care what number was on the scale or my tag in my jeans, as long as I liked how I looked and felt. I'm about ten pounds below what my original goal was, but that's just a matter of what happened to my body while continuing to eat well and exercise regularly. If my weight loss had stalled at 135, I'd have been happy there, too. I was happy at 150 and a size 8 or ten, but I wasn't happy that I wasn't fit enough to run one city block.
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and have been a size six looking very fit and toned.. which is why I picked a 6-8
  • Chunky_As_Charged
    Options
    For me it's more about how I feel and look, than about size or weight, but I've set goals to have something to aim for. I'd like to be down to 160, but if I feel and look healthy at say 165, then so be it. At five seven, I've never wanted to be anything less than a size 10/12.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    Weight
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I really do not care what the scale say. I am now a size 4 and would like to be a size 4 or 2.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Neither.

Mirror basically tells me what to do next.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    How about goal body fat percentage? Sizes are not a good measure. I'm a size 6 in some jeans, yet size 10 in others.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Neither.

Mirror basically tells me what to do next.

This too.
  • mrstraver
    Options
    I chose size...I don't have a scale and I will be excited if I drop sizes even if it isn't weight I am dropping
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Scale because sizes are so inconsistent. I'm wearing a size 8 that is baggy on me right now and yesterday's size 10s were too tight.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    How about goal body fat percentage? Sizes are not a good measure. I'm a size 6 in some jeans, yet size 10 in others.

I'm aiming for body fat % too, but I do sort of have a size goal. I want to be able to fit back into my jeans from two years ago.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    How about goal body fat percentage?

^ This is a great way to measure too, it's just difficult to get accurate especially at higher bf% so depending on where someone is at with their fitness goals, it may not be as practical.