Do I need to go low carb

Options

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Dropping a food group from your diet will give you a sudden drop but as soon as you start eating healthy again you will gain back every single pound plus some. That would be like dropping fat from your diet. We all need a balanced diet from each food group - carbs included.

and you are implying a low carb lifestyle isnt healthy? i eat low carb and know i wont gain it all back when i am done , how do I know. This is the way i eat for life.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    dropping carbs too low, makes you suicidal and a potential murderer to foods you shouldn't have. Anytime you cut calories too low and carbs are well, you just crash and make it up by binging. Be mindful, yes you can go low carbs, but only for so long and as long as you can control the crash effects.

wow that is the stupidest thing i have every read!!!!!!!!!!

some people , me include feel best when they drop their carbs way down.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    dropping carbs too low, makes you suicidal and a potential murderer to foods you shouldn't have. Anytime you cut calories too low and carbs are well, you just crash and make it up by binging. Be mindful, yes you can go low carbs, but only for so long and as long as you can control the crash effects.

Wow LOL

No wonder I wanna put a bullet in my head everytime I read this type of nonsense, it is the lack of carbs!!!

To the original poster, if you are pre-diabetic or diabetic, NO QUESTION, you owe it to yourself to try low carb.

If you do not like it, there are wonderful other diets.

The primal blueprint is a very easy to follow primal sort of diet, and its quite manageable to do. Weight loss has you at about 50 to 100 carbs a day, this is a crap load of vegetables and a few fruits to boot. It is the range I stay in, and I do very well.

Sunday I ran a 5K race, and came in 6th in my age group, out of 32 runners, not bad for a guy 45 pounds overweight still huh? I guess that lack of carbs was really hurting me...

What I will not do though is tell you that low carb will guarantee weight loss, rather I will say it is valid, and worth trying. Not everyone is willing to give up what you need to give up.

Remember, the key to winning at ANY diet is to see food as fuel, not pleasure. Once you can do that, it becomes so much easier.
  • Leanne1795
    Options

^^ This^^
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am on low carbs (No bread, potato,pasta processed flour etc) but you also get carbs from vegetables like broccoli which I eat......I cook with coconut oil which is high fat and eat lots of chicken and meat etc....and have protein shakes

I am losing weight, I feel full most of the time and have loads of energy.... so for me its working, I do also keep to my calorie intake !

It works for me but everyone is different !
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    I am eating very low carbs and I am doing better then ever!!! SO don't listen to the people who say it is bad for you because it is simply not true. There are studies that show it is not.

You will need to find out what works best for you.
    Some people CAN lose by just cutting cals. I was not one of those! However, my sister in law has done great with weight watchers. I followed it and could never lose. Carbs give me terrible cravings.

Decide for yourself but do NOT believe the people that say you NEED carbs. Not true.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Better carbs. No carb would be impossible for me. It's not about losing weight it's about keeping it off forever.
  • Timcormierfl
    Options
    I believe in more protein and less carbs. I like to still to mostly protein and eat GREEN vegs like, lettece, cucumbers, green beans. Tha is just my expience and how my body reacts
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    From Dr. Oz

So here's some advice on carbohydrates
    Skip refined and processed foods altogether
    Read the label to see if there is added sugar (be wary of the "oses")
    Choose whole grains (oats, whole wheat and brown rice), beans, legumes, fruits and vegetables
    Try to have 40% of your total caloric intake come from complex carbohydrates
    Avoid the lure of low-fat foods, which contain a sizable amount of calories from sugar
    Avoid the lure of low-carb foods, which sometimes have more calories from fat
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    From Dr. Oz

Stopped reading there.
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I am doing low carb but I am certainly watching my carbs. I went in and manually set my goals to be 30% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fat. I try to stay under the number given based on those percentages. I believe I get around 128g of carbs a day so it's not low carb but I've really cut back on carbs just by staying under my goal.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight by eating 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. I love carbs and didn't have any negatives with it as fas as my progress :)
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    I lost all of my weight by eating 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. I love carbs and didn't have any negatives with it as fas as my progress :)

i honestly wish my body worked that way, but we must play the hand we are delt
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    NO.

I laugh at the anti-carb nazis. I've been fit and never overweight my entire life. I eat anything I want in moderation (in fairness, I will say I do avoid partially hydrogenated oils, or corn syrup/sugar).

I also eat more than 2000 cals on most days and I don't know how these starving people can stand life.

blessings.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    NO.

I laugh at the anti-carb nazis. I've been fit and never overweight my entire life. I eat anything I want in moderation (in fairness, I will say I do avoid partially hydrogenated oils, or corn syrup/sugar).

I also eat more than 2000 cals on most days and I don't know how these starving people can stand life.

blessings.

then how do you feel you can judge what helps an overweight person drop the weight??
    you spout these word with absolutely no expierence.
    i appreicate being laugh at by someone who has not walked a foot let alone a mile in my shoes. kudos to your sensitivity
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    NO.

blessings.

then how do you feel you can judge what helps an overweight person drop the weight??
    i appreicate being laugh at by someone who has not walked a foot let alone a mile in my shoes. kudos to your sensitivity

Exercise + healthy eating = fit person, period. I don't have to make the widgets to know how to run a widget factory.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    NO.

blessings.

Since you assume she was laughing at you I will have to assume that you are a self proclaimed "anit-carb nazi". What I thought the poster you responded to was trying to say is that she knows that to be and remain fit you do not need to go low carb. And I agree.

I think most people who are disease free would have better wieght loss success if they stopped worrying so much about whether a food has X number of carbs or protein or whatever, and started worrying whether the food was healthy. You should not eat a plateful of Oreos. Not because they have carbs. Because they are not healthy.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    NO.

blessings.

Since you assume she was laughing at you I will have to assume that you are a self proclaimed "anit-carb nazi". What I thought the poster you responded to was trying to say is that she knows that to be and remain fit you do not need to go low carb. And I agree.

I think most people who are disease free would have better wieght loss success if they stopped worrying so much about whether a food has X number of carbs or protein or whatever, and started worrying whether the food was healthy. You should not eat a plateful of Oreos. Not because they have carbs. Because they are not healthy.

i actually am not a 'nazi' i am a low carber. Because it works for me. it does not work for everyone.
    and i did not 'assume' she was laughing at me, i was just bringing out the fact that she is laughing at people, whom she has no idea what they go through, no clue on what it can take to drop some pounds.

I have no doubt that a person that never has had a weight problem does not have to worry about certain kinds of foods but most that do have a problem with weight do.

that is not to say everyone should do low carb, nor that no one should, every ones chemistry is diffrent.
    some do best on low fat, some do best on even numbers jsut watching cals. but some don't.
    this week i up my carbs just to see what would happen, at the same time staying at my 1200, gained 3 pounds.
    when i take my carbs very low ( 15% or less) the weight drops.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    i actually am not a 'nazi' i am a low carber. Because it works for me. it does not work for everyone.
    and i did not 'assume' she was laughing at me, i was just bringing out the fact that she is laughing at people, whom she has no idea what they go through, no clue on what it can take to drop some pounds.

She said she was laughing at the "anti-carb nazis" not at people who need to lose a lot of weight. There are plenty of ant-carbers on these boards that are not obese.

If low carb works for you then that's what you should do. But it's not the only way, as you have pointed out so I don't see the need to bash anyone. There is a difference in sharing what works for you and being an anit-carb nazi. Anyone who has been on these boards for even a short while would know what was meant by that term. Those that think low carb is the ONLY way to lose weight for EVERYONE and feel the need to bash anyone that suggests differently
  • CLA2801
    CLA2801 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    dropping carbs too low, makes you suicidal

Oh lordy. Please. Just stop being ridiculous.