creepers at the gym

i've been having some problems with guys bothering me at the gym (one guy in particular - and he ironically works there). he follows me around, tries to talk to me while i'm working out (i'm trying to do my plank set and he's trying to start a convo), and he creepily stares at me while i work out. i just wanted to see if anyone else out there had this same problem or if it was just me.

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    I would find a supervisor or manager and complain. You do not need to worry about something like that.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Is he T-Rexin' ?
  • If a worker is harassing you I would bring it up to management. In my opinion it is completely unacceptable!
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    <<
    Like my banana-creeper?
  • i've been having some problems with guys bothering me at the gym (one guy in particular - and he ironically works there). he follows me around, tries to talk to me while i'm working out (i'm trying to do my plank set and he's trying to start a convo), and he creepily stares at me while i work out. i just wanted to see if anyone else out there had this same problem or if it was just me.
    Be careful when ever you leave the gym.
    That happened to me.. Thank god nothing crazy happened.

What you can do is take your ear phones and pretent you are listening to music..and look DOWN. That works for me so people to talk to me! lol
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    I agree with everyone. If you don't feel comfortable talking to him and asking him to politely stop then get a hold of management. Let them know the problem. I work out with a bunch of guys at a bootcamp. I know they stare at the girls, but they are all so much fun to workout with and joke around with! If I don't want them around I know how to get rid of them to-haha!!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    I would find a supervisor or manager and complain. You do not need to worry about something like that.

THIS
  • That happened to me at my school gym. It got really bad with a few guys but then one day I had my fiancé come with me and when they stared he stared back haha. He's in the marine corps and he has tattoos and big muscles and the military issue haircut so most of it stopped after that. Maybe you have a guy you could take with you. Or worst case just ask them to stop and if they don't, report them. Good luck/:
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    That happened to me at my school gym. It got really bad with a few guys but then one day I had my fiancé come with me and when they stared he stared back haha. He's in the marine corps and he has tattoos and big muscles and the military issue haircut so most of it stopped after that. Maybe you have a guy you could take with you. Or worst case just ask them to stop and if they don't, report them. Good luck/:

Hire me out to stare back at them! :glasses: After I break their weight lifting records, maybe it'll break their spirits ;)
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Yes it happens to me. One guy in particular. I cant tell if he's interested or just a pain in the neck. There could be an empty line of the same machine and he will get on the one right next to me and start talking even though I purposely stopped acknowledging him and have my earplugs in with the music blasting. If I dont talk to him he will lightly touch me on the arm to get my attention. It totally ticks me off. Then he'll say goodbye and I think its over, he'll come back and say something else. I thought he would get the picture if I ignored him but noooo.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    YOU TOO?! I don't get it.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Tell him roadkill turns you on,the flatter and gooey the better.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    YOU TOO?! I don't get it.

:laugh:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Have you tried just telling him to **** off? Most people don't like to be told to **** off. I would tell him to **** off.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Have you tried just telling him to **** off? Most people don't like to be told to **** off. I would tell him to **** off.
    Whack? How will that help?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    i've been having some problems with guys bothering me at the gym (one guy in particular - and he ironically works there). he follows me around, tries to talk to me while i'm working out (i'm trying to do my plank set and he's trying to start a convo), and he creepily stares at me while i work out. i just wanted to see if anyone else out there had this same problem or if it was just me.
    Be careful when ever you leave the gym.
    That happened to me.. Thank god nothing crazy happened.

What you can do is take your ear phones and pretent you are listening to music..and look DOWN. That works for me so people to talk to me! lol

Listening to music is fine but I would never "look down". This is submissive behaviour. Look up and be confident, tell someone you don't like his behavior. Look him in the eye and tell him you don't have time to chat. You should be in control.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    I'd start with saying you're trying to workout and that he's breaking your focus. Politely ignore him at other times. If that doesn't work, report him.

Going with someone can work too, but make sure you go with the right type of person. Some folks can pull off the 'stay away from her or you're a dead man' look and some can't. The latter can potentially make matters worse.

I tend to believe the polite confrontation is the best bet, with escalation to the proper authority if that fails.

Hope it gets worked out!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member

Because then he wouldn't be "built up" anymore.

;)

Don't assume everyone staring in the gym is a creeper, but make sure you DO always protect yourself. Carry mace, don't be alone in dark areas, and stay alert.

As far as the employee goes, thats totally different than just another guy at the gym. The employee should know better. Talk to him. If you aren't comfortable with that or he continues, talk to his manager.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member

Count the asterisks. It was clearly "jerk".
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    This is why I don't go to the gym. I work out at home and watch TV while I do it. I even bought an elliptical so I had no reason to leave. I used to work out at a gym, but I would always get harassed by some meathead that thought I was cute. I'm not built very womanly, I kind of have a boyish figure so it weirds me out even more when someone starts hitting on me when I am in gym clothes.