getting teary eyed... 30 days in and now gaining.

Options
any advice is appreciated:

ive been on mfp since mid sept and had lost a total of 15 lbs - down to 185... this past week the weight's been slowly creeping up- and today I weighed in at 188. I'm dumbfounded.
--- I'm eating my calories--- have gone over 1 time by like 80 cals
---I'm working out - not daily, but about 3 times a week - on sunday I walked for an hour and burned 600 cals-
---I'm drinking my water- even somedays getting 10 glasses in
---It's not "that time of the month"... even when that happened I only gained like 1 lb and then lost it quickly

i've made my diary public b/c I'd like some frank honest comments to get me thru this.
I refuse to throw in the towel, but it gets hard to stay on plan and then see this type of gain for no reason.

here is my diary:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/sheltielover

Aimee

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you are right to not throw in the towel. we can not predict what our body does, or what will cause it to gain a pound or three. your weight will fluctuate, it just does. you need to do a lot of self analyzing, and see what you can change. maybe a new and different workout, and some new foods and eating habits.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    No matter the underlying issue, you would benefit from doubling your protein.
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's very possible it is the sodium content in what you are eating. I see quite a bit that would indicate a fairly high sodium content. Try tracking it and bringing it down. It will likely require eliminating processed or prepared food, but will probably help a great deal. Don't get discouraged! You've made great progress so keep going!
    Weight fluctuates all over the place during a week. You may also be better off weighing on a particular day at a particular time.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, I would suggest either eliminating or cutting your alcohol intake and increase your vegetables. You also need to increase your protein and decrease your sodium. A lot of restaurant foods are very high in sodium.
  • JoAnn73
    JoAnn73 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Make sure to only weigh yourself once a week @ the same time ( morning). Dont let it get you down I have been going though the same thing for the past 3 months gaining and losing the same 3 pounds. Just dont give up!!:smile:
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    First you said that you have been here since mid Sept. and you have lost 15 pounds??????? That is alot for a little time, and that might be the problem.

Watch your salt intake.

What is your goal on MFP? 1 pound a week?
    Maybe try and add somre more exercise to the week, also, make sure that you are eating all your calories.....do not go under, sounds like to me your body is going into starvation, looking at your diary, does not appear you are eating all your calories, and when you exercise, eat back at least 1/2 of the calories that you burn off. You might need to play around with that -- I eat almost all my calories back that I work off !! YOUR BODY NEEDS THE FUEL, or else you will go into starvation mode and store fat.

I know that it is frustrating, but hang in there -- do not give up !!
    Feel free to add me.......:flowerforyou:

10344221.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you dont eat any exercise calories... eat them!
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with jennw10 - I'm not a nutritionist, and although you're not eating way too many refined carbs, it definitely won't hurt to get in a lot more protein and even some more "good" fats. And don't forget to eat a good breakfast.

And engineman312 is right too - don't give up!!!

Good luck :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Two things I see are that your sodium is probably really high, and I don't see fruits and veggies. The fruits and veggies are an essential part of your dietary needs. Also, you could probably raise your protein. If you are not working out so frequently, I would advise getting your protein from food instead of powder too. Eggs, chicken, tuna, etc.
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    Okay - I feel like I have been saying this a lot lately but here goes (fyi - I'm certainly no expert) . . .

Change your food diary to show sugar and sodium. It looks like some of the things you eat could be high in sodium. I heard that you should consume more than 2,200 mg of sodium per day but I also recently heard that the new recommendation is 1,500 mg. I can't lose weight if I go high in sodium - it consumes me.

Also, eat more. I know - I still have a hard time with this concept BUT on most days you are not eating your recommended calories - you are under. My incredibly healthy, fit sister-in-law, who weighs 112 lbs, recommends that you never consume less than 1,800 calories per day. Now, those have to be healthy calories. She says for bread - never pick anything that contains less than 4g of fiber and go whole wheat. Fruit is great - but not too much because of the sugars. Green veggies - make them your best friend!

I don't do great all the time but I did take her recommendation of trying to increase my calorie intake and I did continue to lose weight. For me - so far, so good.

Oh, and I exercise a minimum of 6 days per week for at least 40 minutes. I alternate between running and recumbent bike.

Good luck to you!
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    First you said that you have been here since mid Sept. and you have lost 15 pounds??????? That is alot for a little time, and that might be the problem.

Watch your salt intake.

What is your goal on MFP? 1 pound a week?
    Maybe try and add somre more exercise to the week, also, make sure that you are eating all your calories.....do not go under, sounds like to me your body is going into starvation, looking at your diary, does not appear you are eating all your calories, and when you exercise, eat back at least 1/2 of the calories that you burn off. You might need to play around with that -- I eat almost all my calories back that I work off !! YOUR BODY NEEDS THE FUEL, or else you will go into starvation mode and store fat.

I know that it is frustrating, but hang in there -- do not give up !!
    Feel free to add me.......:flowerforyou:

10344221.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • food4thought7
    Options
    I see that there's a bit of alcohol intake. Try cutting back on that and put the extra calories to food..more specifically protein
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? I've been going through the same thing and I know you want to cry and do something horrible to that mean scale. I was really frustrated and my husband told me that my body was changing a lot. I started looking in the mirror and realized he was right. My pants don't fit as snug as they did and my arms now make a light flap instead of glug glug. Your body is very happy with it's fat storage. You just have to keep at it and convince it you mean business and the fat has got to go. You're doing great! Just keep logging in and doing something healthy for yourself everyday. :)
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    As frustrating and disapointing as it is - it is just one week. For me weight loss is very uneven, even when my eating and exercise are consitent. You may be experiencing something similar. Some ideas to try:

You may be taking in high levels of sodium from prepared foods. Add this to your elements to track, reduce it and see if it helps you shed water.

It is very easy to overestimate exercise calories. Consider "eating back" 50% only.

I see that you are already low in carbs. Try shocking your system a bit with one day of all lean protein/super low carbs. This has helped me in your situation.

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Stephanie sounds like a savy lady with some good insights.........her advice seems sound. Hang in there!~
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    you are right to not throw in the towel. we can not predict what our body does, or what will cause it to gain a pound or three. your weight will fluctuate, it just does. you need to do a lot of self analyzing, and see what you can change. maybe a new and different workout, and some new foods and eating habits.

Remember, any time you switch up your workout you're going to see an initial increase. That being said, he's right, your weight will fluctuate. You've lost 15 pounds in a month, that's extremely aggressive, and generally not a sustainable rate of loss. So your body could just be saying "woah, this is our new life so it's time to regulate." Ride it out for more than a week to know for sure (one week doesn't make a pattern, just a frustration). Also, I'd agree with taking a look at your food intake. What are your percentages? mfp defaults to a fairly low protein level, imho, I've reset mine to 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat . . . but I have no science behind that it's just what I arbitrarily decided upon mostly so that I could continue to accomodate my fruit. Play with your numbers, lose the high sodium foods as they aren't doing you any favors, and just keep plugging on.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    OK, several others have noted two things - too much alcohol and not enough vegetables. I would also add that a lot of your food while small in quantity is high in fat. You can eat mountains of vegetables - I eat so many I can't always finish them! Aim to eat between 5 and 9 potions of fruit and veg every day. Also apply the 5% fat rule - this means looking at the 100g column and if it has less than 5% fat you can eat it. And I mean that - no cheating! If it's 5.1% per 100g its too high. I enjoy wine so I am not averse to some alcohol but as a treat only - it has high calories and no nutrition! Also increase your exercise. If that combination doesn't work see your doctor. but you need to ask yourself how honest you are being - I don't mean that in a nasty way but it is so easy to cheat ourselves. I tend to err on the side of caution and slightly overestimate my calories and underestimate the calories burnt through exercise. That seems to work and my weight loss is similar to you. I too have lost 15lbs since September which in itself is a fantastic achievement! Don't give up - just be pro-active and make some minor adjustments but above all be totally and brutally honest.
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Think about it logically. To put on a pound of fat, you have to overeat by roughly 3500 calories. You are attempting to lose 2lbs a week (if your calorie limit of 1200 is right), which means your goal already puts you at a deficit of 7000 a week. This means that to put on 3lb of fat you would have to overeat your calorie goal by a whopping 31500 calories.

Have you done that? If not, then you simply cannot have put on 3lb of fat, which means it can only be water. Water is retained for a number of reasons (including TOM as you mention) so if you have recently started any muscle building this could be a factor, but looking at your diet, your problem is sodium. Your sodium is over most days, and some days where it's not over were ones where you 'quick-added' calories so there is no sodium listed. This will be what is causing you to retain water.

Don't panic, reduce the amount of salt, and you'll begin to see it drop again.
  • vanessa194
    vanessa194 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Your dinners are way to big .. you should be eating more calories in the am or lunch time .. . Try incorparating whole grains, more fruit . and def more protein ... You also have to look at it as a lifestyle change and not a diet .. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    1) Do you own a food scale and do you use it, or do you estimate calories?
    2) What are all the quick-add calorie items, or what is the reason for using this feature?