Cancer

Options
13»

Replies

• AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    In some ways Cancer is the lowest common denominator - as we find cures for other diseases and conditions we're left with a growing number of 'hard to crack's and things that never featured in the 'killer' charts before because other things got you first.

As we can't guarentee immunity from cancer yet the most many of us can do, (despite great advances in treatment and therapies), is the sort of things Mfp users are probably already doing, namely eat healthily, maintain a proportionate body mass, don't smoke at all, exercise/keep fit, and don't drink alcohol to excess.

Prevention is our best defence against any disease, including the big C. I'm genetically lucky, so far, that my immediate family has been spared the ravages of this illness, but I have friends and colleagues who haven't been so fortunate.

My heart goes out to any of you that have had first hand experience. Cancer Research is a vested interest charity that we should all support.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've lost a best friend to cancer when I was younger, I've lost an aunt and an uncle to it and 4 years ago on Sep 11th 2007 I've lost my father to a lung cancer. I've lost my share to this plague.
    Humanity must do something about disease, politicians must make finding the causes of the massive increase in cancers we're experiencing today as well as finding a cure for it a top priority.

Us on the other hand must do our share and try to be as healthy as we can be, being active and feeding our bodies with the right nutrients each day.

I think there's no soul in the world today that hasn't in one way or another been affected by this disease.

For those fighting this at the moment, be strong, remain positive about it, cancer can be beaten... my father had beaten it 12 years ago when he was first diagnosed.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the other post, but as someone who works for a cancer research center, and more specifically with cancer survivors, I am fighting for them every day that I can. But it's those with cancer and their families and friends who are the real fighters. And you all are amazing. :flowerforyou:

I have a question for you. A couple years ago, I saw a story on I think 60 Minutes (one of those shows) about a guy who came up with a way to treat cancer with radio waves. It was looking very promising, but still in trials and there were a few issues with it (like being able to kill rogue cells floating around the blood).

I haven't heard a word about it since. Do you know anything about this?

Nope, haven’t really heard anything about it. It doesn’t sound very promising from what I’ve briefly looked up. But, clinical trials on most therapies can take up to 10 years before they are actually approved for the intended use. I would honestly not pay much attention to what the news/media says. There is a lot more going on in cancer research that they may not understand or be able to interpret properly (there is a lot more going on than even I can fully understand).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I understand. Thanks for answering. :-)

It just sounded like such an awesome breakthrough and I was hoping it was actually going somewhere.
  • PZlady
    PZlady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you! You deserve a bunch of them! :flowerforyou:
    I don't like to talk about my personal experience with cancer. But I was not spared seeing it first hand. I need a hug.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I missed the original post as well. Glad I did. Cancer changed my life.

In October 2006 my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer that metacisized to her brain (she was not a smoker). I gave up everything I've ever owned in a lifetime in San Francisco (friends, job, etc) and moved to the east coast to be her live-in nurse because her wish was to die at home, not in a hospital or elsewhere. I left San Francisco in March of 2007.

I dressed my mother. I bathed my mother. I injured my shoulder permanently trying to lift her off the floor one of the many times she'd forgotten she couldn't walk. I cleaned her waste. I cooked for her. I make sure she did not take the wrong medications at the wrong time. I was her constant companion. I couldn't leave the house for longer than an hour or she'd panic. She died 7/7/07 after not eating or drinking for 9 days. I wore a baby monitor around my neck all of those 9 days listening to her moaning and labored breathing.

I still can't afford to go home to San Francisco.

I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

I really miss my mom.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I missed the original post as well. Glad I did. Cancer changed my life.

In October 2006 my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer that metacisized to her brain (she was not a smoker). I gave up everything I've ever owned in a lifetime in San Francisco (friends, job, etc) and moved to the east coast to be her live-in nurse because her wish was to die at home, not in a hospital or elsewhere. I left San Francisco in March of 2007.

I dressed my mother. I bathed my mother. I injured my shoulder permanently trying to lift her off the floor one of the many times she'd forgotten she couldn't walk. I cleaned her waste. I cooked for her. I make sure she did not take the wrong medications at the wrong time. I was her constant companion. I couldn't leave the house for longer than an hour or she'd panic. She died 7/7/07 after not eating or drinking for 9 days. I wore a baby monitor around my neck all of those 9 days listening to her moaning and labored breathing.

I still can't afford to go home to San Francisco.

I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

I really miss my mom.

I know your mom must've appreciated everything you did for her. Lung cancer is horrific.

*hugs*