HELP? Quit smoking, now its KILLED MY PROGRESS!

Options
Whats up? I really need help here. Any advice would be greatly apreciated!

Today is day 9 without smoking. Im doing great so far. But AHHHHHH! Quitting has killed my ability to lose weight! or so it feels atleast.

I have been making great progress on mfp. Lost 30lbs sofar! However, almost as soon as i hit the 30 lbs lost mark, I decided to quit smoking (cold turkey) to be able to train better and just to better myself all around.

Quitting was no easy task and It has been (and still is) a big struggle!

I find im always hungry and eating constantly! Ive tryied to keep my diet clean as I can because of this but it has proven to be very difficult. Also ive been trying to work out as much as possable. (Diary is public)

It is all I can do to MAINTAIN my current weight but I cant seem to break through! Ive been here at this same weight for 9 days. :( I know its common for ppl to gain weight when quitting, however im doing all I can to keep that from happening and losing all Ive worked for.

This is part of the quitting process I know, but it has become extremely frustrating. its also begining to kill my momentum!

Anyone have any tips, advice, experiences they can share?

Replies

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    This is why I havent quit smoking.
    Id try whenever you are feeling you need a smoke, get some sugarless gum or get up and do ten jumping jacks.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Just stick with the non smoking. You will be fine. It's a big adjustment as the smokes have so many chemicals that speed up your metabolism. You'll be fine. It will continue to come off it just may take a couple of weeks to see the scale move. Just know that the measurements will continue to go down and that's just as important.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I'm a few days ahead of you with my quit - I'm on day 14.

I would guess that the extra hunger is probably mental - something your mind has fixated on since you don't have the cigs. I think you're just going to have to re-train your brain, and keep plenty of low cal snacks on hand.

You'll only gain weight if you overeat - try not to derail the progress you've made with your weight!!
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Keep working out. Working out will help speed up your progress again.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking--I've been quit (one day at a time) for over 12 years now and I don't regret it. I've heard there's a smoking quitting site similar to MFP--quit.com (or something like that). Maybe that will help.

Good luck!!!

PS. The biggest thing that helped me when I quit smoking was drinking water...every time I had a craving for a "puff" I'd take a big drink of water instead--it's much better than reaching for foods. Also, gum helps too.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Read this book "the easy way to quit smoking". It will help you stay the course, I promise! They want you to smoke while you read it unless you have already quit. Then PLEAS dont smoke while reading it. it is amazing. I have quit for almost 4 yaers because of it.

Remember, the only way to never smoke agaIn is to NEVER SMOKE AGAIN!
  • AppleADayAmber
    Options
    First I wanna say congrats on quitting smoking.. :) I am doing the same thing but every time Im n class and people smoke on break,i wanna light up as well.. But after about a month, those craving you have should go away!! I would suggest staying clear of smokers and maybe chewing gum.. Good luck !!
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! I quit in January, the same way, cold turkey. I found that gum helped me....kept my mouth busy and my mind off food. Just stick with it, the cravings will be less and you can do this! As for the weight, just keep working your program and the results will come, just don't give up!
  • CherrySunday
    Options
    I quit back in 2005 -- and gained -- I think what it is, is that you're just used to having something in your mouth -- so you look for replacements. There's a whole ritual with smoking, for me it was smoke breaks from my restaurant job AND especially in my car -- I still miss that sometimes. My advice -- chew LOTS of gum, get some sugar free lollipops -- sounds bizarre, but it helped me. Eventually it will calm down a little, but it's a real struggle the first few months.
  • awdhemi
    awdhemi Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Stick with it!! I know it is hard. But I quit eight months ago and I don't miss it! Chew some gum, eat some celery or carrots, keep busy!
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    It will be harder for awhile. Don't give up, and don't just depend on the scale. Right now is a great time to pay attention to how much better you feel while you are working out. How much easier it is to breath, all of that. I quit in Jan and gained weight and that is why I am no this site... but I promise it is worth every irritating moment to be free of the smokes.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Was in the same boat. Here's what I can tell you.
    1. Make sure your working out is progressive, more weight or longer runs. Set goals and surpass them.
    2. It is not a sin to be hungry, let it be and deal with it. You know how many calories to eat, space them out and cope with being hungry now and then.
    3. You could try bumping up the protein in your diet. it helped me keep from getting hungry longer.
    4. Don't ever quit. You will get there as long as you keep moving forward. Sprinting or crawling you will eventually reach your goal as long as you keep going.

Congratulations on the good decisions! and good luck.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Please just keep going!!! This is all temporary, and things will change. Instead of snacking, try drinking more water. However, I know this doesn't always cut it. It is so super hard to quit, and you will think you are going crazy for a long time, but IT IS SO WORTH IT!!!

Concentrate on one hard thing at a time. Accept that your weight loss may have to be on the back burner for now while you deal with this. It will suck, but if you keep it up it will suck less.

Just as weightloss is a lifelong journey so is quitting smoking. One day adds to another, and another, and another. Before you know it it will be years since you have smoked!!! I know, I smoked a pack and a half a day for 15 years. I have now been taboacco free for 4 years!!! It can be done, one day at a time.

Just keep in mind that you would have to gain about 200 lbs to equal the detrimental health effects of continuing to smoke!!!

Feel free to friend me for motivation from someone who has been there!!! Good luck!
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    first of all, CONGRADULATIONS on quiting, it is not easy and you deserve as much praise as a person can give to you!

I quite smoking after 20+ years of being chained to a cigarette, now I have been free for 1 year and 10 weeks. I think it will always be a battle for me but I have chosen to not give up and not to turn back.

I did gain weight and that led me to here, but my biggest suggestion is snack healthy and workout often, go for a run, enjoy the clean air and the limitless breath you are starting to expereince... enjoy being a non-smoker and not tied to the expense.

Have a baggie of nuts, baby carrots etc. Watch what you eat and learn to love being a non-smoker.

I also used an app on my Iphone as a motivation tool "Since I quit" i still use it, it keeps track of the days, hours etc and also tracks the amount of smokes I have not had and the money saved.... great motivator when you look at what you have accomplished.

Again, Congradulations, don't give up..... it will get easier!!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm not able to help with the cravings (never smoked myself), but I just wanted to say congrats on quitting! Please don't give up!
  • char2009
    Options
    Hi! I quit smoking and went on a diet at the same time in 2005. I quit cold turkey, worked in a smoking environment and lived at home where everyone in my family smoked. I haven't touched a smoke since!! :)
    what really worked for me (I was 215 or so at the time and after 6months lost 60 lbs) was just focussing on my diet and exercise. I was single at the time so it was a little easier then. I ate constantly, but extremely clean and limited myself to rice, baked potatoes, chicken, fish, fruits and vegetables. No sugar and only spices and real butter :) Gotta have some flavour in there and some fat!! :) I worked out every night, and walked alot. I tried to stay away from my parents and siblings when they smoked and just seriously focused on myself.
    Your doing great-just think about your future and what your doing for yourself. If you work hard you'll get there...hitting a plateau is difficult but you'll get through it :)
    (btw, when I was eating constantly it didn't take much to fill me up-also I was eating 6-8 small meals a day...try doing this maybe :) )
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Oh what ever you do Don"t pick that cigarette back up, your done past the addiction part.
    your at the habit part now. the worse part is over. try eating raw veggies.things that contain less fat.
    take a walk anything. the eatting part only last a little while.you will be fine and alot more healthy in the end.

Good Luck to you
    I am 6 months smoke free!
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I saw another post about quitting smoking--apparently a doctor can prescribe some sort of patch or gum to help with the cravings. Congrats to you for quitting! :drinker: So much better for workouts.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    FIRST OFF- CONGRATULATIONS to QUITTING!!!
    THAT is NO small feat (speaking from experience- quit 25 yrs ago)....

Stay on track w/ eating well, exercising and watching your intake...as long as you don't replace your smokes for food, you won't GAIN-
    but I'd be cautious about swapping gum/candy---log them and you'll see how many calories are in them- they add up over time- or just wet your appetite for MORE...

WATER is the best thing to get the nicotine flushed out of your system...don't replace it w/ any other liquid.

You *might* consider zig-zagging for a week- I've busted through several plateaus by doing it.
    I likened it to having my car stuck in the snow, and I had to rock it back/forth to get it UNstuck-
    After a week, I was back to a regular weight loss.......
    Just something to consider???

BEST WISHES to you!!!