she said 'YOU DON'T NEED TO EAT THAT'

Options
ok - I'm kind of perplexed - need some input here. I have an 'acquaintance' who I THOUGHT was a friend. We went on vacation together. I only take ONE trip a year, all I can afford & went with this ***** to the Grand Canyon. We're out all day, she's already spent all HER vaca money so we packed a lunch. Now, I had money, I COULD HAVE eaten anything I wanted all day but no - I ate the stupid sandwich and NOTHING ELSE ALL DAY - let's say 12 hours. ALL DAY LONG, SHE'S SNACKING ON FAMILY SIZE LAYS POTATO CHIPS.
now, we get back to our condo, it's 8pm and I'm STARVING! we're on VACATION- there's no food prepared in the fridge and she's sitting at the table, STILL EATING THESE POTATO CHIPS so I grabbed the bag & got a handful. Just to stop my stomach from growling. I had NO INTENTION OF finishing the bag - btw I've already lost 20 lbs. and this ***** says 'YOU DON'T NEED TO EAT THOSE'
so - WHAT would you say/do?
I don't think I want to talk to her anymore - am I being to sensitive? You tell me

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    is she bigger than you?

you could just laugh it off of course
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm optomistic (sp?) thinking she did not want you to sabatoge yourself! A good friend would tell you that - maybe she was not very diplomatic about it. :>/
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You sound furious.

Looking back, it wasn't a very well planned trip, now was it?

Next year when you and her go on your annual Grand Canyon trip, be sure to pack healthy snacks, and you could avoid this situation altogether. I would hate to think it would ruin your annual trip there together. Sure sounds fun.

Good luck next year!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    wow. that's too bad. it sounds like this interaction ruined the trip for you. how long have you been friends? can you bring it up to her and tell her why your pissed and ask what she was thinking?
  • Bdde
    Bdde Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would have busted out laughing! dont worry hun she is just hating on you! lol! sorry you had to spend your vacation with her. You definitely get to know someone when you're vacationing.
  • mslala2010
    Options
    sensitive. Let that go
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I would make sure she realizes that she really hurt you and give her a chance to apologize and make up for it. If that doesn't work, then yes, i would say BYE BYE! it was a disrespectful and rude comment.

Great job with your success so far. No doubt you will continue on this great path!
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    ooooohhhhhh :explode:

WTH is wrong with people? She's a HATER!

I hope you can find a way to ignore her comments and enjoy the rest of your vacation.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I would have said 'I'm starving and I havent eaten all day, a handful of chips isnt going to hurt me'. That's it.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Say "you don't need to eat those either but you've been stuffing your face with them all day".
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a jerk. She could have done a million other things that weren't as rude as what she said. I'm sensitive as well, but I wouldn't blame you for not talking to her anymore. But maybe you should explain why that was not a helpful thing to say first. She could have said, hey WE don't need to eat these, let's make dinner. Or let's not fill up on junk food, I'l fix something. Anything would have been better. It's little snide comments like that, that make people like us feel like we need to eat in private and gorge ourselves.
  • catlady100
    Options
    I feel the same way when my husband tries to help me. But (as someone else said), he's trying to stop me from sabotaging myself. It's not that he thinks that I need to lose weight...but he knows that i want to lose more weight and hears the complaints when I don't.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Laugh it off. Who cares? One thoughtless sentence doesn't need to ruin a friendship, and maybe she was trying to help. Next time plan better :)
  • lydt5880
    lydt5880 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have found myself in situations with certain people who are supposed to care about you saying things that i have found discouraging and offensive like your situation i was unsure if i was being to sensitive or not. As I myself would not say that to someone. As someone else pointed out though, she probably was just looking out for you and didn't want you to ruin your diet however there is no harm in eating a few crisps once in a while.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Not to sensitive. It's annoying to watch someone who eats all day, especially when they are eating some thing unhealthy. She needed to mind her own business. Just tell her nicely that you take care of your own dieting needs, just remember that some people don't have the sense that a flea has. So relax, take a few days and see what you can do.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I have this theory that a lot of people, sometimes ourselves included, think fat people should suffer. You SHOULD be hungry, you aren't ENTITLED to eat. It's infuriating. I'm afraid that I would have thrown those chips back on the table and walked out the door, got in my car, and drove somewhere for dinner.

I don't think you're being too sensitive at all.
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    You sound like you had other food accessible since you had money. You should have went ahead an ate what you needed to. You shouldn't sacrafice because your friend made poor choices. Then she would have learned a lesson in budgeting and you would have been happy and wouldn't have even touched her potato chips. Besides since she was so concerned about your eating choices, she shouldn't have minded.
  • vanessa194
    vanessa194 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    brush it off :) Haters gonna HATE !
  • Jami22
    Jami22 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm optomistic (sp?) thinking she did not want you to sabatoge yourself! A good friend would tell you that - maybe she was not very diplomatic about it. :>/

I felt the same way... maybe she was trying to help you not make a bad choice..???
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I love being your friend!!!! and..... since i've "known" you I have never seen you back down from anything.....tell her how you feel!! then make the decision!