Does protein degrade after a protein shake has been mixed?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Okay, so I've heard 30 different stories. Can anyone tell me if its okay (not okay) to refridgerate a protein shake overnight after I have mixed it? (My shakes usually include unsweetend almond milk, EAS whey vanilla protein, and a fruit of some sort)

I like to grab-n-go in the morning since I usually go to the gym around 5-5:30am, so I was wondering if the protein is alright when it sits in the refridgerator all night.. Some say it degrades and you get about 30% of what you would get if you consume right after mixing, others I've heard its alright for up to 2 days..

Please let me know, if you could give any backup as to why that would be great too..

I doubt it will have degraded to the point where its complete garbage. Look at the pre mixed protien shakes on the retail shelf. Tbey sit there long enough in room tempature. Maybe not the best, but see what im saying?

Point is, there will still be macros and calories and vitamins/ nutrients to propell your workout. Im sure its not the only source of protien in your day?

I'd say just give it a good shake before you put it inside you. (See what i did tbere?)
  • thesweatybetty
    thesweatybetty Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've heard 30 different stories. Can anyone tell me if its okay (not okay) to refridgerate a protein shake overnight after I have mixed it? (My shakes usually include unsweetend almond milk, EAS whey vanilla protein, and a fruit of some sort)

I like to grab-n-go in the morning since I usually go to the gym around 5-5:30am, so I was wondering if the protein is alright when it sits in the refridgerator all night.. Some say it degrades and you get about 30% of what you would get if you consume right after mixing, others I've heard its alright for up to 2 days..

Please let me know, if you could give any backup as to why that would be great too..

I doubt it will have degraded to the point where its complete garbage. Look at the pre mixed protien shakes on the retail shelf. Tbey sit there long enough in room tempature. Maybe not the best, but see what im saying?

Point is, there will still be macros and calories and vitamins/ nutrients to propell your workout. Im sure its not the only source of protien in your day?

I'd say just give it a good shake before you put it inside you. (See what i did tbere?)

Thank you. I appreciate your insight.. You're right, this isnt the only protein I consume all day, but my eating program (body for life) suggests to balance carbs and protein evenly throughout 5-6 small meals. therefore i consumer about 20-25 g of carb/protein each meal..

Thanks for the help!
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Furthermore if you are starting with a powder, it is beginning from a degraded state. The less time it sits the better, but to the exact amount of time it takes before its useless.... will vary based on processing.

Do you have any evidence to back this statement up? Or are you just talking out of your backside?

And now it goes south :-)

I have evidence of both.

Care to provide this so-called "evidence"?

See profile pics for backside question.

Most protein powders, specifically those that contain isolates are denatured. Denaturing supposedly helps accelerate absorbtion. But the process of "breaking down" protiens into isolates is degrading the originl state of the protein. I might even suggest that the process of dehydrating a protien is degrading it from its original state.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    OP use a glass of milk as an example. If left out or not consumed long enough, what happens?

Same thing with whey protein.

Is it going to completely degrade in a matter of 10 hours refridgerated.. Milk degrades but not overnight..

See my post above. Spoilage will occur long before significant protein degradation.
    If it smells/tastes fine, you'll be OK.
  • no_where1976
    no_where1976 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Thanks for asking this! I was just thinking about this this morning! I do that same and when I get home it's rush rush rush! I'm going to try it and see how it works out. Mix it the night before and give it a great shake in the morning! Thanks again!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Really? That sucks. I just mixed up a bunch and thought I could just leave it in the fridge for use as coffee creamer. I only use a half cup a morning.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine it "degrading" enough overnight to really matter.

I have noticed that if I mix yogurt in and let the shake sit for more than a few hours there is a good chance it will upset my stomach. But I'm pretty sure that's a yogurt thing, not a protein thing.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Certain brands are worse than others. Body Fortress (on average, made with water) lasts around 2 days, but if you make a smoothie with fruit juice it somehow lasts up to 4 days. Syntrax Nectar lasts about a week, and ON lasts about 2 days. I don;t mix mine unless i am going to drink it all right then-one gulp of rancid 3 day old protein and you learn to be careful ;P
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Reply to "Getting boring."

As my boyfriend says, "My stomach can't taste the difference. I eat what and when I need to because I know it's good for my body and my goals." He keeps telling me it's all in my mind, and I know he's right. Dating a personal trainer has over time really made me look at my life and realize how little I have cared about my health. He is the reason I'm here and dedicated to making myself the priority.

Good luck! I hope you find the answers you're looking for!