I'm scared. Help

Options
Hi,

I am scared because I have to put my dog down in 2 days. He is 13 and has cancer. I have had him since he was a puppy and i don't want to loose him.

I made the appointment this afternoon and all i can think about is going home and drowning my sorrows with beer and junk food. I am dangerously close to a McDonalds too.

How do i get through this?

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    :( im sorry losing a pet is so hard.
  • Connie_TN
    Options
    Keep talking to someone wether in person or online. I had to put down a furrbutt recently and know how you feel. Cherish the time you have now. take some pics..and make healhty food choices. My thoughts are with you during this time.
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i think you can allow yourself a day off with whats going on so dont worry about it just concentrate on spending the next few days with you beloved dog, i lost my dog last year she had to be put to sleep and to be honest i hardley ate anything as that was the last thing on my mind. my thoughts r with u .
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    from this will come strength and growth from learning not to drown in food, but in the comfort of a friend.

Who am I kidding?

I'm the worst when it comes to emotional eating. Therefore I will shut up about it and pray for consolation and healing.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I said a prayer for you, hon. Because somethings are too difficult to bear alone. (Even with the company of beer and McDonald's)
  • Brittney24
    Options
    I had to put my rabbit down less than two weeks ago. He had cancer, and we had the mass removed twice because they said it wasn't cancer initially. It was such a sad day, I"m not going to lie. Even if you have one day where you eat unhealthy, just get back on he wagon again. I'm really sorry that you have to go through this :( I wish pets lasted forever!
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Those of us who have pets understand that they're like family to us...they're like our kids, even when you have real kids. Instead of turning to food, take the time to feel the grief...allow yourself to cry and sob into your doggy's fur. Cherish the next couple of days with him, but understand that you're putting an end to his suffering.
  • Whopooh
    Whopooh Posts: 50
    Options
    Oh my gosh - I'm so sorry. I think you just have to remember that you don't want the little guy to suffer needlessly. Putting him down is the right thing to do even though it is very very difficult.
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    I just went through this EXACT same thing. Get ready to cry. Make sure you have support with you. Know that you are going to cry for several days. If you can, use your energy to go hike up a mountain and sit on a rock and reflect on all of your happy memories with your pug. GET ANOTHER DOG RIGHT AWAY!!!! Even if you don't feel you want to. Force yourself to go to the pound and rescue one. You will find love in your heart for him and he will fill a big hole in your heart. DO IT! And....give him all of his favorite snacks, cheese, steak, ice cream.....really let him live it up and love him to pieces!!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry for your impending loss. Try to give your dog the best day ever and let him enjoy all of his favourite things.

Try to be brave.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry...I went through it almost two years ago, and I'm not going to lie...its not going to be easy.

That being said, you obviously already know that emotional eating is NOT the answer to any of life's problems...keep yourself busy and rely on friends to help keep your focus away from food. Get any dangerous items out of your house and take out your emotions with exercise!
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry! Could you go hang out with a friend/relative afterward instead of going home where your memories will be the strongest? If not, then I agree with Connie that communicating online or on the phone will help keep your mind off your sorrows and if you're talking you are less likely to be eating.

I had a Dalmatian for 9 years that passed away from cancer a few years ago. Feel free to "friend" me and message me if you need someone to talk with afterwards.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    this thread is making me tear up, i love my pets i want to go home and hug my kitty right now :(
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm am so so sorry to hear about your situation. Losing a pet is one of the hardest things ever. Just remember having to put my dog down 10 years ago makes me tear up. I know it's hard to stay strong during a time like this but just remember that eating and drinking your sorrows away will not change the situation. It might make you feel better temporarily but won't make the hurt go away. That being said, if you slip up and get off track the next few days I don't think anyone would blame you.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm so sorry. Our pets are like our family. Try and spend as much time with him as possible the next few days and remember he won't be suffering anymore.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Forget about dieting for a while and focus on your loved one and your own emotions. My thoughts are with you...

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain does keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done
    For this - the last battle - can't be won.

You will be sad I understand
    But don't let grief then stay your hand.
    For on this day, more than the rest
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end.
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must now be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do.
    We've been so close - we two -these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    my brother had to do the same thing to one of his dogs recently. it was very sad. hugs.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    this thread is making me tear up, i love my pets i want to go home and hug my kitty right now :(

THIS! I almost got teary-eyed about putting my cat down a year ago.

OP- this will be hard. You will bawl your *kitten* off. You'll think you're fine and it will hit you all over again. Then, you will rememeber the cute things they did, the times that you shared and they will find a comfortable place in your heart. As sad as it is, it's for the best. And if eating an extra serving makes you feel better, that's ok. Losing a pet is bigger in the scheme of things than losing a pound.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I think you should allow yourself some time, and not stress so much about what you eat for a few days, just try and cherish the time you have him, I recently lost a pup, and it was sudden, so I had no time to say goodbye, or even hug him one last time, hug your little guy as much as possible for me♥
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. Lot's and lots of alcohol. :cry: I'm soo sooo sorry. *hugs*