Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Best wishes.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. Putting down a pet is easily one of the hardest things a person has to do. I still tear up thinking about the loss of my dog and it was over a year ago. Cry, have a supportive group of friends there for you, and set counting calories on the back burner. You need to focus on you and your pet right now. My heart is with you <3
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am scared because I have to put my dog down in 2 days. He is 13 and has cancer. I have had him since he was a puppy and i don't want to loose him.

I made the appointment this afternoon and all i can think about is going home and drowning my sorrows with beer and junk food. I am dangerously close to a McDonalds too.

How do i get through this?

Sorry for the loss of your pet, they can feel like family at times. Just know he will no longer be in pain, and thats what he wants.

Find a healthy outlet for your sorrow, such as a strenuous run to get out the anger and sadness.

And if you DO binge drink... just look at it as a final good bye, and then get back on track.
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say I am sorry!! I would try and keep yourself busy and just spend the next few days with your dog.. and if you slip up oh well. HUGS
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    How very sad. I am sorry for your loss. It's ok to grieve for a bit, and then get back on track.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Been there - it s*cks.

But I can tell you that I had one dog who passed before the appointment, and I still feel guilty that I didn't have the strength to put her down sooner. She died alone in the house while I was at work. I will NEVER let that happen again.

Much better to be there in the end and hold him or her. As hard as it is, you will be glad that you did it sometime in the future...
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    sad. :frown: I would suggest keeping yourself busy. Schedule lots of stuff to do. But all in all you'll just have to work through it.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Oh my goodness sweety!! I am soooo sorry. That is never any fun at all. That makes me so sad. Stay as strong as you can, but if you need it, just give in. Or you can turn it around and workout instead of eating. Channel your sorrow in a different way by working it out at the gym!! Again, I am sorry!!!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    this thread is making me tear up, i love my pets i want to go home and hug my kitty right now :(

Me too... :cry:
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A friend shared this with me when my15-year-old cat passed away last year and now I will share it with you:

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...."
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Please please have someone near you for comfort you. You'll need to talk afterwards and comforted. It's a very difficult thing to do.

I am so sorry for the loss of your pet. *hugs* Cherish and value the time you had with him.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If your referring to that beautiful pug in your profile, well then I can understand your feelings to some degree. I have a pug and I swear he is my BFF- I would die if I ever lost him. That being said I love him enough to NEVER want him to suffer- even if it means losing him. I give you so much credit for doing what you have to even though it is so hard.

I know this must just kill you- but hurting yourself physically with junk food and booze is NOT the answer. Do you know how much worse you will feel once your drunk? Is that really how you want toy spend your last days with him?

I am so sorry that you have to go through this. Give him all the love you can and be thankful for the time you've had with him. Hang in there...
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just went through this 3 days ago. It was incredibly hard. My puppy was 13 and in renal failure. I was torn about what to do as well. In the end, I knew I wasn't doing her any favors at all and that things were just going to get worse. I held her in my arms as the vet injected the medication. Be aware... it was fast. I don't just mean fast... it was lightning fast. She was up against my heart and I just kept telling her how much I loved her over and over and over....

If you have someone who can go with you, that is a huge help. Both my husband and I were there. It hurts like hell but you will also know you have not let them suffer and have done the right thing.

I admit to going completely off the rails food-wise that day.... not junk food (weirdly trying to not eat my feeling) so much as alcohol (yes, I drowned my sorrows in a martini and 3 glasses of champagne).

I say go ahead... have one day of indulgence.. try to keep the food healthy-ish, drink what you want then get back on track tomorrow.
  • FATISLANDLADY
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your dog- i know what it's like to lose a much-loved pet. Don't try to hide your sorrow by stuffing yourself with bad food. You'll only be punishing yourself, and end up feeling really worse. Why not think "Today i will be strong for him, today will be in memory of him and all the good times we had together." I'm sure he helped you through a lot of bad times just being there with unquestioning love. Try to make his memory a positive thing, one that gives you strength to persevere with your goals to be fitter and more healthy. my thoughts are with you. good luck.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I'm soooo very sorry sweety.. Don't worry about the crazy eating for today...its kind of hard to think when we lose a loved one..animals are like our sidekicks and are always there when we need them...just be there for your loved pet.. I hated the day I had to put our cat down... I was like a zombie the rest of the day...

Start a scrap book and that will help a little..I did that for my Father and Sister when they passed..remembering the best happy times will help ease some of the sorrow..:flowerforyou:
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Take him for a walk. I am soooo sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen with my dog. We got her when she was a puppy. She was such a good dog. Really good with the kids and just a happy dog. She got cancer too. It was so sad to bring her in. I don't know how your dog is feeling, but mine was walking and acting fine, the day we brought her in, but the days before were not so good. I was thinking if you take him for a walk it will give you something active to do with him and a fond memeory to have. It does get easier, but the first few days and weeks will be hard, make a plan.

:flowerforyou:
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Been there, down that twice. Thankfully, I wasn't there at either procedure but it hit me very hard. You will make it, might just take time

If you eat, you eat. Tomorrow or even next week is a "new day" :smile:
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much!!!

I am in tears reading all your kind thoughts, words, poems and stories.

Thank you for your motivation and your sympathy.

I will read all your responses again as I walk PAST the McDonalds and straight home to my puppy..... on second thought, maybe i will get that Big Mac and fries. BUT, not for me! For my puppy as a nice treat!

Thank you all for helping me through this. I couldn't have asked for a better MFP family!
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry. I understand this is a very difficult time. I just had to do this on Saturday with my kitty Jezebel. Thats her in my profile pic. It's a very tough thing to do and I wish you all the best getting through it. I had my dad go with me and we sat and talked about happy memories of Jezebel and of kitties that I had growing up. It felt good to tell some stories about her and remember the joy she brought to my life.

I understand the feeling of wanting to eat to make yourself feel better and I wish I had some great advice on how not to do that. I sat and ate some ice cream and cried when I first found out how sick she was. Then I realized that the ice cream didn't really make me feel any better, actually felt a little worse because now I had some guilt along with the grief. I did have a few beers.

It helped me to see her after they put her to sleep. She had been very sick and didn't look well but once she was gone she looked very peaceful. Good luck on this very tough day.