What Size? What Weight?

Options
I was reading someone's posting here that she weighed in the 290's and was happy to be into Size 20.
I found this hard to believe because I am now at 250, and I wear a 24 loosely, but 22 is still too tight. (I am 5'3")
(most of my clothes are from mid-range stores like JCPenneys, Kohls)
She might read this, and I don't mean to offend you, it's just perplexing that you can weight 40 pounds more than me and be 2 sizes smaller. And maybe thats because I don't like things really tight that there isn't just one size difference.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting and motivating to play What Size, What Weight, and maybe even what height if that matters. If you tracked it during your weight loss, that would be interesting too.

Replies

• shankleefranklee
    Options
    I don't know. I'm 5'4", 210lb.
    I wear a size 12 at Torrid, 16 in women's at Target, 14 - 16 in Old Navy, 15 in ****ies. L - XXL in tops. So, I mean. I think it really depends on how you're built, and height. It's a lot more than just weight.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Different body *shape*.
  • Guerita83
    Options
    I'm 5'3, 184lbs, size 14 in bottoms, med-large in tops and I agree that we all dont have the same body structure (shape)
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    im 5'6 and weigh 200. i just bought a pair of jeans at ross size 16. mysis in law weighs 210 is in a size 16 and looks waaay skinier.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely her body shape (apples will wear smaller pants sizes than pears, obviously), but also her height and muscle mass. Also -- are you guys both talking about pants sizes, or are one of you referring to dress sizes (because the two are certainly different)

As to your final game/question: I'm 115, size 2-3, 5'6"
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Is she the same height as you?

Body shapes can vary quite a bit as well. I was 210 at 5'8" and a size 18W. My best friend is 5'9" and weight 220 and is a size 14W. I'm now at 188 and still in size 14 jeans (Levi's curvy cut and Gap curvy cut). I have an hourglass figure (defined waist an wide hips) but I carried a lot of my fat in my belly.
  • jessashcher
    Options
    It's definately different body shapes and also depends on where you buy your clothes, every company has different size models they use for sizing there clothes, strange but true. I am 5 ft. 7 and I currently weigh 163 lbs. and I still have some clothes that fit me that are size 14, now I know I look smaller than Ricki Lake on dancing with the stars and she says she can fit into a size 8 now, so it confuses me some also.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm 288 lbs and wear size 22 Silvers, could prob be in a 24, but I refuse to buy them ha
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and weigh 208 and am in a size 16

When I was at my biggest I was 270 and was in the process of going from a 22 to a 24 but I starting working out before I was really in need of a 24 but my 22's were tight

It took almost 40 pounds before I started seeing my size change - but I agree body type has A LOT to do with it

I am an XL top
  • cookc04
    cookc04 Posts: 71
    Options
    Yep it depends on height but also shape, where you are holding your fat, how much is fat how much is muscle.

Even when I was only under 50kg I wore a size 12 because I had big 'swimmer's shoulders and arms'.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", 258, and can wear snug 18Ws (20W tops). I am an apple shape figure.
  • Deb2012
    Deb2012 Posts: 124
    Options
    Could also be location? Sizing vary in different countries.

From my experience - USA size 10 = UK size 12 = AUS size 14
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I was reading someone's posting here that she weighed in the 290's and was happy to be into Size 20.
    I found this hard to believe because I am now at 250, and I wear a 24 loosely, but 22 is still too tight. (I am 5'3")
    (most of my clothes are from mid-range stores like JCPenneys, Kohls)
    She might read this, and I don't mean to offend you, it's just perplexing that you can weight 40 pounds more than me and be 2 sizes smaller. And maybe thats because I don't like things really tight that there isn't just one size difference.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting and motivating to play What Size, What Weight, and maybe even what height if that matters. If you tracked it during your weight loss, that would be interesting too.

I think it depends alot on your body type and age. When I was 17yrs old I weighed 250lbs and I was in a size 17-18. When I got down to 184lbs I wore a size 11. I'm now 205lbs, at 23 years old and wearing a 15-17. How thats possible, I'll never know considering I still own all my pants from when I was 250 and I can actually wear them?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    im 5 foot 6.5 and weigh 253. i mostly wear 22s in my jeans, i can get into some 20s from lane bryant. actually have a pair of jeans from there that are 22s, but if i wear them more than a few hours they start falling off so i always have to wear a belt.
    shirts vary... i can still get into some of my large tshirts from high school.. my favs tops right now are from target and LB and are size 18/20, or XXL
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Height matters....

I am 166lbs and wear a Size 6 pant at 5'10". Someone considerably shorter would wear a 12/14 at that weight.
  • tricia19444
    Options
    Okay, I need to get my butt to Curves and keep working to tone myself up... *LOL* I must just be flabby all over...

I totally realize it depends on shape but I find it interesting...
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Height and body frame size play a large part in what size clothing you'll fit into. Right now, I'm in the low 270s. My tops are 14/16 and pants are 18. BUT I'm 5'9" with a large frame (size 11.5 shoe). At my heaviest I was a little over 390 and wore a size 24/26 top and bottom.

When I was at my smallest (age 24) I weighed in at 150ish and wore size 4/6s ... When I could find them long enough. Height is a huge factor.
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Weight 325 and I am in a size 20 Lane Bryant and Torrid and 22 old navy. I am 6ft
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I am pear shaped so my general size sits at:

Pants/Skirts: Size 18
    Shirts: Large/X-Large
    I am sitting at 200-199 lbs and 5'5". But it really depends on where I get the clothing will depend on what size I am at. But in general that is my size.
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yes to what everyone said. Weight is carried differently, for example I carry all my weight in my legs. I have a friend who can wear a 12/14 and weighs just over 200, so its all about body type. Don't take anything to heart, gotta focus on YOU and YOU only!