What Size? What Weight?

Options

Replies

• tethomas73
    tethomas73 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your body shape, height and where you carry your weight!! I' m 5'6 and now weight 252 and wear a size 20w and a x-large shirt and that also depends on where I buy it from.. My sister tried on a dress from Loft a size 4 and it fit but she does not wear a 4 she is a 9-10 jr.

So height, where a person carry her weight and the quality of the clothing all make the difference..
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I started out at 204 pounds and Aussie size 18 (about a US 14). Actually probably bigger but I refused to buy a 20!
    Now I'm 154 pounds and Aussie size 10-12 (US 6-8).
    And I've stayed 164cm - 5'4"
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Not only do different stores have different measurements for sizes but also keep in mind different types of stores have different sizes too.
    a 10 in standard is different to a 10 in plus size
    annnd countries have different sizes!

I'm 5"3 , 110 pounds, Australian

Dress size in Australia - 6 or S / XS
    in Japan 7 or S
    in UK 4 or XS
    in USA 2 or S

Needless to say buying clothes over the net from the US makes me happiest! Lol

And I just got a package from Forever 21 in the mail yesterday YAY!

edit* LOL! "and i've stayed the same height"
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    Haha, it happens. I do admit to a bit of enviousness though when I hear of people heavier than me who can fit into smaller sizes. I'm a steady 113 at 5'1'' and still can only get into a 6, the 4s are still too tight to wear comfortably. But I know of other people who have gotten easily into size 2s at the same weight and height! It just so happens I have a big butt and big thighs, my lower half still looks curvy when I'm at or below 105 and it's lucky if I can fit into a 4 at that point!
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am now fitting into a 20w am 5'10" and am 280.6. I believe everyone is different shaped as well as different makes of clothes fit differently. I have a size 20 pants...they fit great... and another pair that won't go near me.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 5, 137lb and a UK size 10
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and right now weigh 230. I wear a 16 pant and an XL top. Starting weight 317, 24/26 pant, 3xl top. When I was my smallest at one point, I weighed around 180 and wore a 12 pant and large top. Depends on the store too. Wal MArt always runs way small on me!
  • cherrycake26
    Options
    It is all pretty confusing, UK here and find in different shops need to try on a range of sizes......At 202lbs was size 20 for jeans and dresses. Now at 169lb 14 jeans and 16 tops. Height is 5ft 5 lowest weight ever was 134lb and jeans were 8 tops were 10/12(looked like death at that low weight never again!!) Its really all about looking good and feeling good, comfortable in our own skin and healthy.....Shouldnt really matter what the lable says on a garment as they all vary far too much from country to country and store to store. x
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", 143lbs and a UK size 14.
  • hazedot
    hazedot Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was 244lbs and a size 18/20. It all depends on the muscle to fat ratio really. But you're doing good and keep going your hard work will pay off. I'm not 213lbs and a size 16/18 x
  • misslouisee
    misslouisee Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before and I will post it again

http://www.mybodygallery.com/index.html

Different people will be in different clothes sizes even if they are the same height and weight. Enter your height and weight on this site and see how different people can be.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I was reading someone's posting here that she weighed in the 290's and was happy to be into Size 20.
    I found this hard to believe because I am now at 250, and I wear a 24 loosely, but 22 is still too tight. (I am 5'3")
    (most of my clothes are from mid-range stores like JCPenneys, Kohls)
    She might read this, and I don't mean to offend you, it's just perplexing that you can weight 40 pounds more than me and be 2 sizes smaller. And maybe thats because I don't like things really tight that there isn't just one size difference.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting and motivating to play What Size, What Weight, and maybe even what height if that matters. If you tracked it during your weight loss, that would be interesting too.

of course height matters! if that woman is 6 inches taller than you then its stands to reason that she will be able to fit into a smaller size at a heavier weight.
  • abchambers
    Options
    When I was just over 300lbs I wore a 24. I'm in a 12/14 now 70lbs later. I'm 6ft tall.
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I weigh 285, am 5'6" and am fitting into either 22's or 20's depending on the style, though I do still have some 24's that fit too. It is body shape and build, as I have a big frame so hold my weight differently than some others might.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, and at 180 pounds I started off at a size 10.
    i'm currently 153 and wear between a 4-6... and even my 6's are getting to be way to big!

I think it all depends on the person, their shape and the brand.. I never ever though I would fit into a 4, and low and behold I did!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    This confuses me too. I see people who are saying they are heavier than me but getting in sizes 10,12, I thought maybe they mean US sizes and they are different?

I was 12st 7 in June and in 20's I found 18's dig in around waist and tops of legs and as I'm sat all day in wheelchair its really uncomfortable.

I recently got some 16 jog pants (now at 160lbs: 11st 6) .. I can get in them but I still feel they make my tummy look bigger as they are 'lady fit' so very fitted around the top.. I'm saving them until I lose a few more inches around my tummy and still wearing my 18's which for me have just reached the 'comfy all day' stage!

I also find clothes easier to get into if they are slightly baggy than skin tight, tops needs some room around the arms or they tend to rip at seams under armpits with me propelling my chair so I'm still in 18-20 tops to give me space to move!
  • zaz936
    zaz936 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 5'5'', 200 pounds, and I wear a size 18 top and pants 16 when in plus size stores. When in regular stores size 20 top and 18 pants.
  • rsummersall
    Options
    I'm 5''9 and weigh 191 lbs, I'm a size 16 in the uk so think that's a US size 12 (wow that makes me feel better, size 12 size sounds way better!!)
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Body frame, body shape, and height -- all play a huge roll in the size you wear. Weight really doesn't factor in much at all (which makes me wonder why so many of us use it to gauge our fitness success.)

You can completely reshape your body without affecting your weight much. I need only look at myself about 7 years ago. I'm 5'9, and I was at the same weight that I am now (around the 210 mark) - at that time I was in a 18/20 and sometimes a 22... now I'm in a 14/16. And yet I'm the same weight! The difference is: now I'm more toned, feel much better, and have more energy. So long as you are eating healthy and exercising, you WILL get results...regardless of what the scale says (it's such an *empty* number).
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and pear shaped so I will always wear a bigger size than a woman the same height with no hips or butt. I have kept track all along in my profile, this is a copy and paste:

February 15, 2011- I joined MFP @ 175 pounds (size 14 US)
    March 15, 2011: 167.2 pounds (size 12)
    April 15, 2011: 160.2 pounds (size 12)
    May 15, 2011: 159.2 pounds (size 12)
    June 15, 2011: 157.4 pounds (size 12/10).
    July 15, 2011: 154 pounds (size 10)
    August 15, 2011: 151.4 pounds (size 10)
    September 15, 2011: 147.6 pounds (size 10/8)
    October 15, 2011: 146.7 pounds (size 8)

I didn't lose much weight in September/October but lost a pants size. I think this was due to me stepping up my pilates class. The core muscle building really leaned me up! I should also add that I started off in L/XL tops and now wear mediums pretty consistently.