Is there a site for people who DO NOT follow the 1200 low ca

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could learn to use the search feature now.
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Low carb and Atkins get bashed due to ignorance, lack of education and closed mindedness to another way than the "Standard American Diet" ; ). More and more recent clinical evidence is supporting the studies of decades ago that show the right fats are good for you and too many carbs aren't. The movie Fathead touches on the political manuevering that influenced the current state of standard dietary advice. Hint, it wasn't the science.

You can adjust the MFP defaults to show you your desired percentages of fats/protein/carb rather than the default and if your calorie goal is under the 1200 minimum just ignore it and pay attention to your totals. I don't count calories but I do count ratios and carbs to make sure I'm mostly under my goal there. Eating truly healthy does mean a shift in lifestyle and no, it isn't sustainable to go back to grains and processed foods later and expect to maintain weighloss. Those are the things that led to weight gain for most of us in the first place. We'll never be able to eat "normal" as dictated by the "healthy whole grains" cohort.

Oh, yes, Fathead is a good one! I have always felt the food pyramid was flawed, and that movie just helped prove it in my mind!

And the old Weight Watchers system was sort of set up by ratio... the more fiber or protein something had, the less points it would be compared to another thing with the same Calories and Fat. I've heard it is different now, and most don't like the changes. :( Good thing I found this site!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Do any of you do Atkins, or HCG? Not looking to debate if you will, the reasons I do what I do, just curious if there are any here. But thanks for taking the time to write. :happy:

P.S. I am happy with the diet choices I have made and they are working great for me. I came here to find others who want to support and be supported. That is why I am on MFP. But maybe this is not the place, that's what I am trying to figure out. :huh:

No, you're in the wrong place!! There are people that try different diets on here, but the MFP ethos is all about calorie counting and activity - calories in v calories out, hence the calorie counters in your diary etc. That's pretty much why you get shot down as most of us joined here to log food and exercise, not take drugs or eat like our ancestors. I'm sure there must be Atkins and HGC support forums elsewhere?? Or why dont you start your own? :bigsmile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about HCG. As for the low carb vs not low carb, that bashing runs both ways and does get pretty hot at times. There actually seem to be a lot more low carbers on these boards than not. I'm not sure why people get so passionate about their choice of weigh loss plan, but it's impossible to deny that many do.

My suggestion would be to find some others that do HCG and/or low carb and friend them. Then you can get support from them without coming to the open forums.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I came here because I was referred and I notice everything is based on Low Cal, Low Fat 1200 cal thing. Where are all the Atkins people or Low Carb choice people or HCG people. I typed in HCG and saw nothing but insult after bashing from people who clearly do not like the choice, but not alot of support.

What kind of site is this when peoples choices are ripped apart in a public forum. I actually really liked doing the HCG diet and feel like it helped me to build a different relationship with food. Portion sizes and types of food. Noticing alot of people really have no clue about how HCG works. Any HCG-ers and Low Carbers add me.

Atkins or Low Carbers....where are you all?
    I'm not a user of this diet nor a promoter but I'll save you the headache of any more attacks by sharing the HCG - MFP's thread link... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/354869-hcg-progress-updates-page-2-for-people-on-it-or-thinking-a

There is also a Low Carbers diet thread that's been up for sometime, might check under Motivation as that's where I found the HCG thread that's been up for quite a long time. I know I've also seen an Atkins ones... I know quite a number of members dealing with PCOS are on the low carbers threads.

I think this is the perfect place for you..just stick around find your spot and stick with the positive members ...there are MANY! Some sadly have quit using the boards because of the ugliness that occurs at times....but I do think you should stick around and find your spot because among all these members... everyone has their place.:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Do any of you do Atkins, or HCG? Not looking to debate if you will, the reasons I do what I do, just curious if there are any here. But thanks for taking the time to write. :happy:

P.S. I am happy with the diet choices I have made and they are working great for me. I came here to find others who want to support and be supported. That is why I am on MFP. But maybe this is not the place, that's what I am trying to figure out. :huh:

I have no clue about the HCG diet but I don't see see how eating 500 cals a day is healthy for ANYONE. Not bashing, just stating what I think to be a fact. If you are looking for people to agree with that diet, I would google HCG support groups or boards. I am sure that you can find a like minded community.

People here want to lose the weight in a healthy way and keep it off. No sense in losing if only when you do start eating normally you gain it all back, right? You won't be able to keep up for long on that sort of program. That sort of eating is what causes anorexia. And since I have a mother that has struggled with that, it scares me.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The reason why HCG gets shot down so much is because it's not safe or healthy and the people who believe the gimmick are really disillusioned.

Your not losing weight because of the hormone.. your losing weight because your only eating 500 calories a day. If I ate 500 calories a day and exercised like I do now, you best believe I would lose weight. Then when I go back to eating normal amounts of food, most, if not all of that weight is going to come back.

There is no scientific proof that the HCG hormone does anything to help weight loss.. yet thousands of people on this site believe it does and pay out the *kitten* for a placebo.

My suggestion OP, cut the HCG and just do low carb or atkins.. I can swallow and support those a lot more easily then I can HCG.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I am NOT on the 1200 calories diet. I eat 2000 calories thank you. Even when I was losing I ate 1750.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Hot topic chica!!! And many very opinionated peeps!! But you can find those who are doing the same as you on here, just be patient. Read posts and you will find like minded friends!!

and thus my opinion.,,,Anyone on any diet who learn's to eat better and portion control can keep weight off after they quit a particular diet regimen, Just like anyone else who loses weight. The problem is people who lose weight super fast don't make a habit of eating correct or return to old way of eating and of course they will regain. But whether you lose weight by HCG, Atkins, Medifast or whatever if you continue good eating habits and exercise weight will remain gone.

There are many who lose weight the quote "correct way" and they regain too. Because they did not truely make a change in their eating habits. Of course there are other factors to weight gain meds, health disorders and etc.

Please add me as friend !! I'm doing less than 1200 calories right now "shock, gasp, oh my". I did do 1200-1600 for over a year now trying something different do to medications.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I use atkins.com to track my daily carbs. I use this site too. I just ignore all the bashing! I love atkins, it's healthy!! and it works for me. you do what works for you!!!!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I came here because I was referred and I notice everything is based on Low Cal, Low Fat 1200 cal thing. Where are all the Atkins people or Low Carb choice people or HCG people. I typed in HCG and saw nothing but insult after bashing from people who clearly do not like the choice, but not alot of support.

What kind of site is this when peoples choices are ripped apart in a public forum. I actually really liked doing the HCG diet and feel like it helped me to build a different relationship with food. Portion sizes and types of food. Noticing alot of people really have no clue about how HCG works. Any HCG-ers and Low Carbers add me.

Atkins or Low Carbers....where are you all?

there are lots of low carbers on this site, considering the goals and diary are very customziable, makes it perfect for it.

we just go around ignoring all the know it alls
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    *whispers in a very loving and tender way*

There might just be a good reason why HCG, low carb and atkins type diets get bashed a lot. I'd estimate about 90% of the dieting world realises that they can be unsustainable and dangerous. However boring and been there done that bog standard calorie counting appears, its the one method which is reliably agreed upon by most experts (except those with something to sell!) as being sensible, sustainable and scientifically based. And on here you get to review your protein, fat and carb intake as well.

Do whatever you need to do for you. But please be open minded and educated about all of the implications of whatever path you chose. :smile:

:heart:

okay your whole post is laughable, first you mention how unsustainable and dangerous some diets like low carb are then you tell her to be openminded??

so she should only be open minded and educated on what you think is correct?
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    I think a lot of people on this site have tried every diet under the sun and have found none have worked in the long term.

No one will 'bash' you for choosing to do it but this site is on the whole linked to healthy lifestyle changes, not diets.

If the diet works for you on a long term scale then that's fantastic and I really hope it does :)

oh yes people will bash her right and left
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I have found several MFPers that follow low-carb eating plans by doing a search on the message boards for "low-carb" and "Atkins". Then I have to sift through all of the irrelevant and downright unnecessary posts to find those who are actually following the plans and are here to support others and get support for themselves. Don't give up, and good luck :)

P.S. Maybe too many carbs make people mean... lol just a thought.
  • FairyMiss
    Options

No, you're in the wrong place!! There are people that try different diets on here, but the MFP ethos is all about calorie counting and activity - calories in v calories out, hence the calorie counters in your diary etc. That's pretty much why you get shot down as most of us joined here to log food and exercise, not take drugs or eat like our ancestors. I'm sure there must be Atkins and HGC support forums elsewhere?? Or why dont you start your own? :bigsmile:

NO SHE IS NOT IN THE WRONG PLACE , just hast to learn to ignore the closed minded folks (okay other words fit but didnt want to get kickd off)
    actually with the customizeble diary here its easy to follow any plan you want, and there are tons of low carbs of all sorts (genreal low carbers, atkins, paleo , etc,)
    s
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    I have found several MFPers that follow low-carb eating plans by doing a search on the message boards for "low-carb" and "Atkins". Then I have to sift through all of the irrelevant and downright unnecessary posts to find those who are actually following the plans and are here to support others and get support for themselves. Don't give up, and good luck :)

P.S. Maybe too many carbs make people mean... lol just a thought.

• bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I also turned up several threads by searching Atkins, Paleo, etc. It seems people following these "alternative" ways of eating are in the minority here, but there is definitely a presence if you search it out.

And yes, there is a fair amount of intolerance of these alternatives--I would have been intolerant myself up until a few years ago. The standard "healthy" way of eating and exercising and counting calories and so on had worked for me for a number of years, but in my late 40s, I began to gain weight and could not lose it using the same methods that had worked for me in the past (as other posters have mentioned). In looking for alternatives, I bumbled across Paleo/Primal and am finding some benefit from it. Altho I would have dismissed it myself in the past, I now believe that different things work for different people, or even for the same person at different stages of their life....nothing like finding yourself in a situation to suddenly make you see the alternatives!

Also as mentioned, the goals ARE customizable, and I have mine set for the way I choose to eat. I like that feature.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

HCG is about the only "diet" I haven't tried. I've done Atkins, South Beach, Nutri System, Weight Watchers, LA Weight Loss, Slim Fast, and a whole mess of pills. NOTHING has resulted in any actual lifestyle change because they were either ineffective or not sustainable.

More good for you stuff in + calories out at the gym is truly the best way to go.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    lA great resource for low carbers is lowcarber.org .There is a very active community there and all of the different low carb programs each have their own seperate message board. I have low carbed in the past.
    GL
  • litelight
    Options
    I have found my diet-kin on MFP! I think this is a wonderful site becasue I have been able to lose the weight I've been struggling with now that I'm, ahem, maturing. I'm 47, and my body has changed bigtime.I'm finding I have to work harder to keep the weight off. Reduced calories and low carb/low fat works best for me. And I think hyenagirl's comments were right on!
This discussion has been closed.