Is there a site for people who DO NOT follow the 1200 low ca

Options

Replies

• BBBombshell
    Options
    I know nothing about HCG. As for the low carb vs not low carb, that bashing runs both ways and does get pretty hot at times. There actually seem to be a lot more low carbers on these boards than not. I'm not sure why people get so passionate about their choice of weigh loss plan, but it's impossible to deny that many do.

My suggestion would be to find some others that do HCG and/or low carb and friend them. Then you can get support from them without coming to the open forums.

Wow, sounds drastic....seems rough to think that you have to "hide in the closet" for your choices.....hmmmm:huh:
  • BBBombshell
    Options
    Do any of you do Atkins, or HCG? Not looking to debate if you will, the reasons I do what I do, just curious if there are any here. But thanks for taking the time to write. :happy:

P.S. I am happy with the diet choices I have made and they are working great for me. I came here to find others who want to support and be supported. That is why I am on MFP. But maybe this is not the place, that's what I am trying to figure out. :huh:

I have no clue about the HCG diet but I don't see see how eating 500 cals a day is healthy for ANYONE. Not bashing, just stating what I think to be a fact. If you are looking for people to agree with that diet, I would google HCG support groups or boards. I am sure that you can find a like minded community.

People here want to lose the weight in a healthy way and keep it off. No sense in losing if only when you do start eating normally you gain it all back, right? You won't be able to keep up for long on that sort of program. That sort of eating is what causes anorexia. And since I have a mother that has struggled with that, it scares me.

So your suggestion is that I leave this site and go somewhere else for support of my choices....wow...interesting way to support people.
  • BBBombshell
    Options
    The reason why HCG gets shot down so much is because it's not safe or healthy and the people who believe the gimmick are really disillusioned.

Your not losing weight because of the hormone.. your losing weight because your only eating 500 calories a day. If I ate 500 calories a day and exercised like I do now, you best believe I would lose weight. Then when I go back to eating normal amounts of food, most, if not all of that weight is going to come back.

There is no scientific proof that the HCG hormone does anything to help weight loss.. yet thousands of people on this site believe it does and pay out the *kitten* for a placebo.

My suggestion OP, cut the HCG and just do low carb or atkins.. I can swallow and support those a lot more easily then I can HCG.

I appreciate your view, I have done my homework with HCG and Low Carbing and this is my preference, just looking for like minded people. But thanks again :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I ate under 800 cals today, oh no, the diet police might come and get me! Some people are insulin resistant and have to eat low carb. Some people really can't jump-start weight loss unless they eat like 400-500 calories a day for a few days. Everyone is different. I think these get bashed a bunch on here for a few reasons:

Some people believe in the lipid hypothesis and think eating a diet high in fat is bad. Lower carb diets tend to be higher in fat, because you gotta get energy somewhere. I personally don't and have been known to eat 80+ grams of saturated fat in a day. I love me some saturated fat. My skin has never looked better and my blood chemistry levels are whistling a happy tune.

Some people like to throw around the term "starvation mode". Which to them starvation mode means under 1200 calories a day (even if you are an obese person). However the popular Medifast and Optifast diets are both 800 calories a day. Doctors all over recommend those and people do not go into starvation mode, they lose weight, their metabolisms increase. Now if you were a woman with 17% body fat and you were eating 800 calories a day, yeah, you would probably starve. It's all relative to fat reserves. I think people confuse "starvation mode" with lack of getting nutrients. Optifast and Medifast both have 100% of your daily vitamins and minerals. This can be hard to achieve sometimes on 800 cals a day unless you ate a big kelp and seaweed salad everyday (which is quite tasty).

Some people get jelous that others can omit carbs from their diets and they can't because they love their carbs. I love carbs too, but I don't shed a pound unless I eat under 130 grams a day. I love BBQ sauce with my meat and I love fruit, so bye bye bready breads and pastas, viddy well. I can easily binge on sugary starchy carbs, but that's what got me to be Fatty McGee in the first place, so out they went.

With all that being said, no one diet works for everyone. Some people have a harder time digesting fat and thus have to go on a lower fat- higher carb diet. But it works out in the end. My partner trims the fat off of his streaks, and I'm there to eat that fat. Less for them is more for me and less bread for me is more for some one else. I'm all for complimenting, like I applaud the gold digger and trophy wife combo. Rich guy wants a hot babe for a wife and has a lot of money to attract a hot babe. Hot babe wants a lavish life style and so puts out for rich guy. They work well with each other in my opinion, everyone gets what they want, everyone wins.

My body loves carbs and I am in no way shape of form jealous of someone who doesn't eat carbs. I've done low carb/Atkins/etc and found they didn't work for me. So, I can assure you that there's absolutely NO jealousy in me for people who don't eat carbs. I love 'em and my body functions far better with carbs than without. Am I saying it works for everyone? No way. But, it works for me.

I consume 2200-2500 NET calories in a day and I weighed in at 142lbs today. So, I'm pretty sure for ME - 1200 calories a day IS starvation mode. Even if I were to consume 1200 calories of perfectly healthy food each day - it would still be too low for me. Do I recommend that everyone eat 2200+ calories a day? Nope. But, it works for me. And I have first hand experience that you CAN be heavy AND go into starvation mode. If you aren't consuming enough to fuel your body - your body WILL hold onto the fat stores it currently has for fear it is going to starve to death. And while a couple days of low calories won't cause you to "starve", doing it for a long time has horrible affects on me. My hair started to fall out, my nails were brittle and broke all the time, I couldn't sleep well - even though I was exhausted. My skin was dry and felt like sandpaper. I wasn't losing weight, I was gaining. Once I figured it out and started EATING - all of those issues resolved themselves.

I don't eat a low calorie/low fat "diet' either. I don't eat "diet" foods. I don't monitor anything but my calories - not my sodium, not my carbs, not my sugars, nor my fats. Nothing. All I watch is calories.

As for HCG, there's no way on Earth I would inject, consume, etc a hormone that tells my body it is pregnant when I am not. No way. No how. I don't care what anyone says - that combined with 500 calories a day can't be healthy long term.
  • BBBombshell
    Options
    Do any of you do Atkins, or HCG? Not looking to debate if you will, the reasons I do what I do, just curious if there are any here. But thanks for taking the time to write. :happy:

P.S. I am happy with the diet choices I have made and they are working great for me. I came here to find others who want to support and be supported. That is why I am on MFP. But maybe this is not the place, that's what I am trying to figure out. :huh:

No, you're in the wrong place!! There are people that try different diets on here, but the MFP ethos is all about calorie counting and activity - calories in v calories out, hence the calorie counters in your diary etc. That's pretty much why you get shot down as most of us joined here to log food and exercise, not take drugs or eat like our ancestors. I'm sure there must be Atkins and HGC support forums elsewhere?? Or why dont you start your own? :bigsmile:

Wait am I to understand you are suggesting I start a group here? OR is it safe to say that you think that My Fitness Pal is not a place for me???? Not sure what your getting at....
  • BBBombshell
    Options
    lA great resource for low carbers is lowcarber.org .There is a very active community there and all of the different low carb programs each have their own seperate message board. I have low carbed in the past.
    GL

Thanks for the information. Will have a look.

Your suggestion to not use My Fitness Pal either then huh?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have found several MFPers that follow low-carb eating plans by doing a search on the message boards for "low-carb" and "Atkins". Then I have to sift through all of the irrelevant and downright unnecessary posts to find those who are actually following the plans and are here to support others and get support for themselves. Don't give up, and good luck :)

P.S. Maybe too many carbs make people mean... lol just a thought.

Eating too many carbs makes people mean?

Maybe not eating enough carbs makes people too sensitive?
  • BBBombshell
    Options
    I ate under 800 cals today, oh no, the diet police might come and get me! Some people are insulin resistant and have to eat low carb. Some people really can't jump-start weight loss unless they eat like 400-500 calories a day for a few days. Everyone is different. I think these get bashed a bunch on here for a few reasons:

Some people believe in the lipid hypothesis and think eating a diet high in fat is bad. Lower carb diets tend to be higher in fat, because you gotta get energy somewhere. I personally don't and have been known to eat 80+ grams of saturated fat in a day. I love me some saturated fat. My skin has never looked better and my blood chemistry levels are whistling a happy tune.

Some people like to throw around the term "starvation mode". Which to them starvation mode means under 1200 calories a day (even if you are an obese person). However the popular Medifast and Optifast diets are both 800 calories a day. Doctors all over recommend those and people do not go into starvation mode, they lose weight, their metabolisms increase. Now if you were a woman with 17% body fat and you were eating 800 calories a day, yeah, you would probably starve. It's all relative to fat reserves. I think people confuse "starvation mode" with lack of getting nutrients. Optifast and Medifast both have 100% of your daily vitamins and minerals. This can be hard to achieve sometimes on 800 cals a day unless you ate a big kelp and seaweed salad everyday (which is quite tasty).

Some people get jelous that others can omit carbs from their diets and they can't because they love their carbs. I love carbs too, but I don't shed a pound unless I eat under 130 grams a day. I love BBQ sauce with my meat and I love fruit, so bye bye bready breads and pastas, viddy well. I can easily binge on sugary starchy carbs, but that's what got me to be Fatty McGee in the first place, so out they went.

With all that being said, no one diet works for everyone. Some people have a harder time digesting fat and thus have to go on a lower fat- higher carb diet. But it works out in the end. My partner trims the fat off of his streaks, and I'm there to eat that fat. Less for them is more for me and less bread for me is more for some one else. I'm all for complimenting, like I applaud the gold digger and trophy wife combo. Rich guy wants a hot babe for a wife and has a lot of money to attract a hot babe. Hot babe wants a lavish life style and so puts out for rich guy. They work well with each other in my opinion, everyone gets what they want, everyone wins.

My body loves carbs and I am in no way shape of form jealous of someone who doesn't eat carbs. I've done low carb/Atkins/etc and found they didn't work for me. So, I can assure you that there's absolutely NO jealousy in me for people who don't eat carbs. I love 'em and my body functions far better with carbs than without. Am I saying it works for everyone? No way. But, it works for me.

I consume 2200-2500 NET calories in a day and I weighed in at 142lbs today. So, I'm pretty sure for ME - 1200 calories a day IS starvation mode. Even if I were to consume 1200 calories of perfectly healthy food each day - it would still be too low for me. Do I recommend that everyone eat 2200+ calories a day? Nope. But, it works for me. And I have first hand experience that you CAN be heavy AND go into starvation mode. If you aren't consuming enough to fuel your body - your body WILL hold onto the fat stores it currently has for fear it is going to starve to death. And while a couple days of low calories won't cause you to "starve", doing it for a long time has horrible affects on me. My hair started to fall out, my nails were brittle and broke all the time, I couldn't sleep well - even though I was exhausted. My skin was dry and felt like sandpaper. I wasn't losing weight, I was gaining. Once I figured it out and started EATING - all of those issues resolved themselves.

I don't eat a low calorie/low fat "diet' either. I don't eat "diet" foods. I don't monitor anything but my calories - not my sodium, not my carbs, not my sugars, nor my fats. Nothing. All I watch is calories.

As for HCG, there's no way on Earth I would inject, consume, etc a hormone that tells my body it is pregnant when I am not. No way. No how. I don't care what anyone says - that combined with 500 calories a day can't be healthy long term.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :wink:
  • jellerose
    jellerose Posts: 74 Member
    Options

No, you're in the wrong place!! There are people that try different diets on here, but the MFP ethos is all about calorie counting and activity - calories in v calories out, hence the calorie counters in your diary etc. That's pretty much why you get shot down as most of us joined here to log food and exercise, not take drugs or eat like our ancestors. I'm sure there must be Atkins and HGC support forums elsewhere?? Or why dont you start your own? :bigsmile:

Seriously? I think your lack of support for other people's choices indicate that you may be in the wrong place. It's "myfitnesspal" not "mycaloriein-calorieoutpal". And many of us realize that tracking our foods to help keep our carbs down and fat/protein ratios up ( like our ancestors ate or like Atkins before they let you add the grains and crap) contribute greatly to our increasing fitness and health goals. Maybe the calorie in calorie out crowd has taken over and is rather bullyish about it but that doesn't mean they have the final say on how this tool is used for everyone. I'm not taking drugs but figure if someone is to the point where that tool is helpful then who am I to judge? And from what I understand it's not a long term thing, they are on it for a short while. Same with weightloss surgery, if that's what someone needs to help on their journey to fitness and health then I'm in their corner, just stay away from me with the surgical instruments ; ).
  • jellerose
    jellerose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If calorie counting works for someone then more power to them. Just stop attacking those of us who have found another great path. I find since changing WHAT I eat my calories are naturally low on a daily basis. I could continue eating all I want of my core foods (primal/paleo) without tracking a thing and see weightloss but I like an occasional "bad" (carb) treat (beyond good veggies carbs) and try to keep track of those as I continue to reduce my cravings for them. I also like to remind myself to get enough good fat as I lose better when I'm consistent. It's helped me compare my body's signals and responses with what I'm putting into it. Which is helping me become more in tune with my own body's need.

This way of eating is going to have to be for life, not something I can quit when I lose my goal weight.
  • BBBombshell
    Options

Seriously? I think your lack of support for other people's choices indicate that you may be in the wrong place. It's "myfitnesspal" not "mycaloriein-calorieoutpal". And many of us realize that tracking our foods to help keep our carbs down and fat/protein ratios up ( like our ancestors ate or like Atkins before they let you add the grains and crap) contribute greatly to our increasing fitness and health goals. Maybe the calorie in calorie out crowd has taken over and is rather bullyish about it but that doesn't mean they have the final say on how this tool is used for everyone. I'm not taking drugs but figure if someone is to the point where that tool is helpful then who am I to judge? And from what I understand it's not a long term thing, they are on it for a short while. Same with weightloss surgery, if that's what someone needs to help on their journey to fitness and health then I'm in their corner, just stay away from me with the surgical instruments ; ).

Thanks Jellerose. I was thinking I think I was just told to get out of the sand box or to hand over my lunch money....crazy how some are here. From what I am gathering there are alot of those here. Sorta a joke really. I have found some other like minded folks and hey I got through today ok !
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Personally i think people should just learn to eat none of this atkins hcg etc etc just follow basic common sense eat less, eat fresh and excercise ,,, you dont see animals out in the wild going gee what diet should i put myself on this year because they eat to survive because they listern to their bodies and because their survival depends on eating as much variety as possible to keep themselves strong fit lean and fast

I hope that didnt come across to snarky im by no means perfect and clearly havent been following my own advice but i really think thats the only thing that can work loseing weight is so much more than just being a different size or a smaller number its all about the fuel we put in how it effects things like our longevity, energy, skin, hair, smell, organs etc and these diets just restrict to much of the things we need and worst of all dont teach us that food is just food and that being healthy isnt this big secret mysetry that you can only get from books and dvds
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    *whispers in a very loving and tender way*

There might just be a good reason why HCG, low carb and atkins type diets get bashed a lot. I'd estimate about 90% of the dieting world realises that they can be unsustainable and dangerous. However boring and been there done that bog standard calorie counting appears, its the one method which is reliably agreed upon by most experts (except those with something to sell!) as being sensible, sustainable and scientifically based. And on here you get to review your protein, fat and carb intake as well.

Do whatever you need to do for you. But please be open minded and educated about all of the implications of whatever path you chose. :smile:

:heart:

okay your whole post is laughable, first you mention how unsustainable and dangerous some diets like low carb are then you tell her to be openminded??

so she should only be open minded and educated on what you think is correct?

I am open minded - believe me on that. An acquaintance who I considered to be sensible recently got me interested in trying HCG.

I looked into it in great detail, with exercise and nutrition physiology knowledge as a background. I found much more against HCG than for it. I have formed an opinion, which coincidentally matches with the opinion of many other users here, and as I say, about 90% of all dieters (my estimate). If I were closed minded I wouldn't be interested in any new research that comes to light - and that wouldn't make me much of a scientist, which is kindof a bummer in my line of work. :flowerforyou:

I am NOT asking the OP to only be open minded about agreeing with my point of view - how ridiculous would that be! :laugh: I am asking the OP to think about both the pros and cons on their dieting choices, and make an informed choice (which they may have already done of course) I make no apologies for that and fail to see how that makes me narrow minded :huh:

The very nature of being open minded is that the evidence will lead you either way. I respect the OP for whichever result their findings lead them to :wink:

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    *whispers in a very loving and tender way*

There might just be a good reason why HCG, low carb and atkins type diets get bashed a lot. I'd estimate about 90% of the dieting world realises that they can be unsustainable and dangerous. However boring and been there done that bog standard calorie counting appears, its the one method which is reliably agreed upon by most experts (except those with something to sell!) as being sensible, sustainable and scientifically based. And on here you get to review your protein, fat and carb intake as well.

Do whatever you need to do for you. But please be open minded and educated about all of the implications of whatever path you chose. :smile:

okay your whole post is laughable, first you mention how unsustainable and dangerous some diets like low carb are then you tell her to be openminded??

so she should only be open minded and educated on what you think is correct?

I am open minded - believe me on that. An acquaintance who I considered to be sensible recently got me interested in trying HCG.

I looked into it in great detail, with exercise and nutrition physiology knowledge as a background. I found much more against HCG than for it. I have formed an opinion, which coincidentally matches with the opinion of many other users here, and as I say, about 90% of all dieters (my estimate). If I were closed minded I wouldn't be interested in any new research that comes to light - and that wouldn't make me much of a scientist, which is kindof a bummer in my line of work. :flowerforyou:

I am NOT asking the OP to only be open minded about agreeing with my point of view - how ridiculous would that be! :laugh: I am asking the OP to think about both the pros and cons on their dieting choices, and make an informed choice (which they may have already done of course) I make no apologies for that and fail to see how that makes me narrow minded :huh:

The very nature of being open minded is that the evidence will lead you either way. I respect the OP for whichever result their findings lead them to :wink:

and ya sure love smileys lol
  • jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    I will defend Atkins with my life. People are jealous and say you cant stick to it. You can, you will. I am proof. I was infertile and was told I couldnt have children. i was also overweight as all get out. I did atkins for 3 years, got off of it, then back on it for over a year. I had stopped having periods. My insulin was crazy. I went back to atkins and started having periods again and bam! Preggo. I should have named my son atkins.

I've been on low calorie, low carb for the past 2 months and it's not working for me. I lost more weight when I stop counting calories and just carbs. I've stalled twice now. I believe my calories are too low. I do 1000 or under.

You can do paleo/lowcarb. There are tons of low carb receipes and food products for us. Some of us cant eat sugar or carbs. I cant. I puff up and the hunger cravings will hit me quickly. carbs make you hungry.

I've never found any "diet" that has worked for me like Atkins. I dropped weight consistantly. Atkins is a lifestyle that I love.

As for the so called experts, well every 3 or 4 years they change on what is good or bad for you. The whole food pyramid is a joke and a hustle to keep people eatinig processed junk and to fuel the food industry. I have found nothing dangerous about atkins. Once you get to maintenance it's actual a more natural way of eating.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    bit of a weird question. Would you go on weightwatchers site and complain that there were only people doing weightwatchers on it???

noones stopping you from following whatever diet you want, but this is generally for people following the MFP diet in some form or another, or doing simple calorie counting
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I don't know about low carb/atkins people (I've got quite a few of them on my list)

I do know that HCG promotes disordered eating and that's why I report those posts. If your doc promotes it you might want to check out your area for new docs.

A simple google search of FDA + HCG shows a lot of articles discussing how the HCG doesn't work (http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/fitness/weight-loss-challenge/2011-01-24-hcgdiet24_ST_N.htm) , the 500cals a day is what works. I know that when I was eating 500cals a day I got sent to a nutrionist, diagnosed with an eating disorder and had to start therapy...so there is my experience with low calorie diets...

:flowerforyou:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I don't know about low carb/atkins people (I've got quite a few of them on my list)

I do know that HCG promotes disordered eating and that's why I report those posts. If your doc promotes it you might want to check out your area for new docs.

A simple google search of FDA + HCG shows a lot of articles discussing how the HCG doesn't work (http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/fitness/weight-loss-challenge/2011-01-24-hcgdiet24_ST_N.htm) , the 500cals a day is what works. I know that when I was eating 500cals a day I got sent to a nutrionist, diagnosed with an eating disorder and had to start therapy...so there is my experience with low calorie diets...

But the FDA and their evil food pyramid are what's made us fat. Didn't you catch that above??

No one should let extensive peer reviewed research prevent them from taking their hCG. After all, pregnant women always lose hella weight!

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

But the FDA and their evil food pyramid are what's made us fat. Didn't you catch that above??

No one should let extensive peer reviewed research prevent them from taking their hCG. After all, pregnant women always lose hella weight!

Gosh MrsC, what would I do without you?! I'd be ignorant, for sure.

This discussion has been closed.