Is it true that Muscle weights more than Fat?

Options
124»

Replies

• barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm not fat, I'm stout! :embarassed: :glasses:
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    But what if I only have a kg of muscle??? Then what?? Oh yeah!

Then I need to know where you're measuring. A pound of muscle in Salt Lake City weighs the same as a pound of fat at the top of Mount Everest, but you can't say the same for a kg. ;-)

Right! because a kg is a measure of mass.

A mass of muscle in Salt Lake City weighs slightly less on top of Mount Everest, because of the tiny difference in gravity caused by moving further from the center of the earth.

But that's just nit-picking, I know.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Three pages!?!?!
  • nanodot
    Options
    Three pages - For Science!!!

LOL
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

Then I need to know where you're measuring. A pound of muscle in Salt Lake City weighs the same as a pound of fat at the top of Mount Everest, but you can't say the same for a kg. ;-)

A mass of muscle in Salt Lake City weighs slightly less on top of Mount Everest, because of the tiny difference in gravity caused by moving further from the center of the earth.

isn't a pound a measure of mass too? I thought they were similar measures? (Metric girl here, I don't know about pounds...)
  • nanodot
    Options

isn't a pound a measure of mass too? I thought they were similar measures? (Metric girl here, I don't know about pounds...)

Aha, apparently a pound used to be weight, but it was later linked to the kilogram so now it does measure mass. Since 1 July 1959, the international avoirdupois pound has been defined as exactly 0.45359237 kg. It's on wikipedia.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Aha, apparently a pound used to be weight, but it was later linked to the kilogram so now it does measure mass. Since 1 July 1959, the international avoirdupois pound has been defined as exactly 0.45359237 kg. It's on wikipedia.

I did not know that. So if someone asks me "How much would I weigh on the surface of Mars", what units should I use?