Gym Chicks...

Options
13»

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're not wearing a shirt and ask her out.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Go for nothing creepy. What works is:

"I've been staring at your *kitten* every night this week as you worked out, and walked into your car. Don't worry I wasn't following you. I was watching from the window. Anyways, Wanna go on a date? I'll pick you up at 8PM. Don't worry about giving me your address, I already know where you live."
  • BobinNC66
    BobinNC66 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do don't follow them into the locker room, I got in a lot of trouble for that one!

Ha! now true story at Y a few months back a lady walked in and about 4 of us guys were changing, one pretty much out of everything and this lady walks in texting on her phone, looks up and says "OMG, I am so sorry" and turns and walks out. We all got a good laugh out of it.

Now you know if that case were the opposite and a man texting walked in a woman's locker room and said the same thing, the storm troopers would be there in minutes tackling you to the ground, labeling you a sex offender and your life pretty much ruined and definitely never allowed back in the gym!

So did you go out with her?

Ha, no was already remarried by then. It was not too long ago at all that happened.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    OK..I'm married, so I'm not looking, but I was seriously JUST trying to tell one of my single friends to join a gym because there are tons of guys to meet there.

She's one of those "I never meeeet anyone..." kind of whiners, and is 40, so she's been away from the bar scene for a while now (and refuses to try online dating...ugh..I could go on and on about that)...but anyhooo.....I think it could be a great place to meet like-minded people without looking like you're trying (and you get to check them out without being obvious).

I don't see anything wrong with approaching someone at the gym, as long as you read the signals and not bother her if she gives you a 'not interested' vibe.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options

So, it wouldn't be awkward to finish an ab routine, and just happen to be wiping my face with my shirt pulled up past my chest for 30 seconds while I ask!?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

So, it wouldn't be awkward to finish an ab routine, and just happen to be wiping my face with my shirt pulled up past my chest for 30 seconds while I ask!?

I'd say "yes." :smile:
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do don't follow them into the locker room, I got in a lot of trouble for that one!

Ha! now true story at Y a few months back a lady walked in and about 4 of us guys were changing, one pretty much out of everything and this lady walks in texting on her phone, looks up and says "OMG, I am so sorry" and turns and walks out. We all got a good laugh out of it.

Now you know if that case were the opposite and a man texting walked in a woman's locker room and said the same thing, the storm troopers would be there in minutes tackling you to the ground, labeling you a sex offender and your life pretty much ruined and definitely never allowed back in the gym!

Thats because women automatically assume all men are creepers.

Whereas men assume all women are terrible at navigating.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Build the rapport (I know, corny word) enough that you're at least greeting each other each time you run into her at the gym. Then you won't be a total stranger & she'll be more likely to give you a chance. I agree with those who said to make your move when she's on her way OUT of the gym to prevent awkwardness. Don't worry so much about asking her out yet if you're not sure what she'll say, just focus on letting her get to know you a bit by striking up convos whenever you have the chance. You'll soon be able to get a good read on whether she'd be open to going out sometime.

Good luck with your non-stinky prospective date!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    when i'm at the gym i'm wearing my rattiest shorts, no makeup, an oversized oscar the grouch t shirt or something similar, and NOTHiNG matches, not to mention i am slick with sweat and reek of eau de stank.

if someone were to approach me in the gym i would likely punch them in the face.

that's hot
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I never mind when guys talk to me at the gym. Actually it kind of puts me at ease.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    To OP: when you were chatting, did she seem like she wanted to cut it short and leave? Was she engaging you or just answering questions without reciprocating? Lots of eye contact, touching your arm, body language. Take the cue from her.
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The most awkward *week* at the gym for me was when this random guy I had never seen before (then proceeded to show up EVERY WORKOUT EVERY DAY for the rest of the week) walked up to me and told me my pants made my *kitten* look good. Then offered a drink of his water.

I was 21 and pregnant, he was at least 50 (probably older). Can you say creeper??
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love the gym and the hotties!

I met my boyfriend there three years ago. Funny thing was, I thought he was UBER attractive, but I didn't take the idea of dating him seriously until after we ran into each other at an event downtown. We talked for an hour that night, and the rest is history. This has been THE BEST relationship I've ever been in! And to think, I always went to the gym with the idea, "I'm not dating a guy from the gym - meat market!" How wrong I was! Some great guys are there taking care of their bodies, and I think this girl would be lucky to have you approach her after getting all this GREAT advice. Good luck!!!!!

P.S. Definitely find a time when she's not out of breath...never easy but maybe the stretching mat or while walking to the locker rooms. I don't know. It's been a while for me! ;)
  • scleesh
    scleesh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    when i'm at the gym i'm wearing my rattiest shorts, no makeup, an oversized oscar the grouch t shirt or something similar, and NOTHiNG matches, not to mention i am slick with sweat and reek of eau de stank.

if someone were to approach me in the gym i would likely punch them in the face.

Or, you could take it as a compliment. If a guy sees you at your worst and still wants to ask you out, I'd say he's a keeper!

I was thinking the same thing. Gotta be a keeper if he likes you at your worst.
  • AshjMusik
    AshjMusik Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Hm a tad cheesy but she would probably say yes ;)
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Tough call. Some people don't mind attention at the gym (and are actively LOOKING for some...cue the chick who came in the weight room in a bikini to talk to her husband), but many are there for some time to blow off steam and get some work in. If she is a small-talker, then she probably won't mind. I won't even let my workout partners talk much in the weight room, it isn't a tea party.

So, to hedge bets...definitely catch her toward the end and keep your approach brief, but friendly. "Do you have a minute?" is a great way to find out if she is open. If she acts like a witch, you can just mumble something about a workout question and exit. If she thinks you're hot, she WILL say she has a minute with a smile, even if she doesn't.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the Situation approach of flashing your abs would turn off some women. Play it coy. Super-tight baby shirt...
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i've had a guy literally jog to my car to tell me he thought i was pretty...kinda wierded me out. i have a boyfriend so the convo would have gotten cut short, but...avoid following her...
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally acceptable. In fact, if I were looking to date someone, I would love to meet them at the gym because it's something we both love to do. Common interests!
  • sweetpunani
    Options
    LMAO well if you came up to me I'd be open to it.. I say go for it ;)