Gym=Necessary?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheWizeguy
    Options
    I think Jelly Baby nailed it. How many people do you know that own exercise equipment but don't use it? Heck you own stuff but don't use it? Right?

I think it comes down to discipline. If you can set a schedule and follow it (the hard part!) Then sure you can do it at home. If you need to see people working hard and people that will ask where you've been and if you'll be there next week then great you need the gym membership.

So no... its not necessary but certainly can be helpful. My advice? Grab your calendar, figure out a plan with the gear you have. I'm a runner so outdoors is necessary for me. Then go out and do it. If you skip your days, go easier then you should (come on!). Then no harm. But yeah... you can do this at home. It would be easier if you did this with someone else. Grab a friend, mom, sister and make Wednesdays be your walk 2 mile day or something. Make yourself accountable.

There is something to be said about a gym though. You dont' watch tv there, you don't have your laptop sitting in front of you, or those other chores that need to be done. Its a place you go to, to get in shape then you get the heck out of there.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Stop buying Premium gasoline. It's probably isn't necessary. Put the savings into some good home workout equipment.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/car-maintenance/save-at-the-pump/overview/save-at-the-pump-ov.htm

"Bottom line

Check your owner’s manual or fuel-filler door. If it says to use regular fuel, do so—there’s no advantage to a higher grade. If it says "premium required," use premium. If it says "premium recommended," try regular. Keep a log of your fuel economy. If you don’t see a change, keep using regular and enjoy the savings. "

Thanks for the input, but my car requires it. I have a turbo. Manuel and the gas tank lid both say to only use it.

Just summing everything up, I just need to get weights and extra motivation. Unfortunately, not many other people I'm around want to get moving, so it looks like I'm on my own. Thanks for all the input! And since that same website is mentioned multiple times, I will have to check it out.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Definitely not necessary . . . you should get some hand weights or a kettlebell for strength training, though.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • wwinn18
    wwinn18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You deff don't need the gym. It is helpful, but not necessary.

However, if there is one in your area, Fitness 19 is only $10 a month.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    modeathletics on youtube ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uBw_BY5EKg

He has workouts for bodyweight & bands.

I just started using kettlebells at home. I LOVE them.
    myomytv.com

Jump rope intervals are fantastic.

No need for a gym at all.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym because we are in a remote area and the closest one is almost a half hour away. My mom and i walk at the local elementary (from gate to gate the road is one mile long, you walk 2 miles just to get back to your car) and we do pullups on the monkey bars, run bleachers at the baseball field, do suicide runs in the parking lot, and pushups wherever :)

At home, it's the same way-just be creative with it :)
  • TheWizeguy
    Options
    As for the premium. If you have a turbo setup. Run the premium. It does need it. Oh and turbos are awesome. Back to the boring fitness talk. :)
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bike? You could save a lot on gas if you use it. My car broke down a year ago in August, and I have chosen not to fix or replace it for well over a year. Instead, I rode my bike everywhere. Of course, that only works if you live somewhere that makes that possible. I first did it in a city where everything I needed was within a four mile radius. Then, I moved to the outskirts of a small town where it was a 5.5 mile ride to work. Of course, I have since joined a gym, but that doesn't mean it's necessary.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I don' think that it is completely necessary, maybe get some light hand held weights
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I vote for a kettlebell or two. It all really depends on what you like to do though.

If you like working out to dvds check out what your local library has to offer. Also check craigslist so you don't have to pay full price for what you are looking for.