What were you eating habits before MFP?

How did you eat before? What was your downfall? Did you even look at calorie content in things?

I work at a major grocery store, and while doing price change overs I was looking at calorie content of things I used to eat. NO WONDER I gained so much weight so quickly - 490 calories for a french bread pizza and I would eat two in a sitting, as well as a "snack" size bag of chips, and a full calorie pop or two. Multiple Hot Pockets as a snack. I also used to make something to eat while cooking. Making a pizza? Chips and salsa while waiting. Somethings in the oven or being delivered? I'll make a sandwich.

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    About 4 servings of pasta. 3 Tbsp. of butter. inordinate amounts of cheese.

That.

Once or twice a day, everyday.

Seriously.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    I ate fast food and frozen meals all the time!! (conveinence) I probably consumed 5000 grams of sodium and no telling how many calories each day!! I never looked or counted calories, until I woke up and realized I was fat!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    i ate pretty much the same as i do now
  • Mindless munching all day
  • Beer.. until it was all gone

Pizza.. until it was all gone

This and that.. until it was all gone.

I couldnt ever waste food. It was wrong.

Did I say Beer?
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    I ate poptarts and whole boxes of cookies in one sitting! I would love Pizza and drink sodas/juices all the time! For a period of time through my last work we would grab a donut every morning. *I thought I was doing well by only grabbing one!* I loved cheese too, except on salads... I hated Cheese on salad :D
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I would eat whatever seemed most delicious at the moment. And I would drink as much beer as possible, and then a pint or two more for good measure. I secretly think that all my success is due to no longer drinking so much beer every day.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    probably had one too many cocktails and with it snacks while cooking dinner......

portions were probably twice what i needed......

fast food too often, even at the healthier places....
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    i ate pretty much the same as i do now

me too..but I'm much lesser quantity.
  • Oh gosh, the butter. All the butter as often as I could. I would cook with multiple table spoons, a loaf of sourdough bread and butter was a snack.

Tall cans of beer.
    Whole boxes of Mac and Cheese.
    Vending machine foods all day.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Here's a sample of my Days of Fatness meals/snacks:

Breakfast:
    Eggs with cheese
    toast with butter or margarine
    bacon sometimes
    orange juice

Lunch:
    bologna and cheese sandwich on white bread with mayo
    Pepsi

Snack:
    potato chips
    Pepsi

Dinner:
    some kind of meat
    a vegetable either loaded with butter or cheese
    a starchy fatty side like mac n' cheese or potatoes (laden with butter or margarine)
    ---I still thought corn was a vegetable
    Pepsi

Snack:
    Dunkin Donuts iced latte with cream and sugar (yes, WITH additional fat and calories please)
    a massive muffin or donut
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    No breakfast, no lunch first meal would be about 3pm but would drink plenty of coffee prior to finally eating something.
    Pheww and when i did decide i was hungry enough to eat i would more than make up for the skipped meals with huge portions, extra snacks, chocolate, plus desert....not to mention the takeaways because i was to tired or couldnt be bothered cooking.
    Looking back im surprised i didnt end up bigger than i am now.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Too much full fat dairy. Way big portion sizes at dinner. Pizza. I never ate a lot of instant noodles, but I never realised how many calories they had for so little satiety.
  • exact same eating habits for the past 4 years except for when I went through a binge episode for 2 months...eating all snacky processed foods.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I mostly didn't eat a lot. I avoided fat and ate "low fat" or "light" versions of everything. I'm sure I ate out too much and restaurant portions will kill you, no matter that you're ordering the lowest fat thing on the menu or even a salad (which can be upwards of 1000 calories!) Despite "watching what I ate", I slowly put on 15 pounds over the past decade mostly because I wasn't active and I'm getting older.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    Breakfast = McDonalds bacon egg & cheese bagel, 2 hashbrowns, 1 large iced caramel coffee - slightly addicted to the breakfast so this was like 4 times a week

Lunch = 2 breaded chicken sandwiches with cheese (I added them up the way I made them at home and they added up to 900 calories) or 2 heaping bowls of cheesy pasta

snacks = all kinds of crap

dinner = (see lunch and snacks), half a large pizza, anything fried, lots of hamburger helper, etc

dessert = big bowls of ice cream smothered in sugar sprinkles

Oh and Lunch often happened twice.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    My downfall was WAY overeating, eating out, and gorging at night from boredom. :sick:

I would eat huge portions while out to eat because it tasted GOOD. Literally to the point of my stomach feeling like it would explode.

At night, I'd eat just to eat.

Makes me sick now.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    For years I ate McDonalds twice a day every single day. For years. Multiple times a week I would eat some other fast food as well. Candy bars all the time, 6 cans of mt dew a day. It was terrible. I am sure it took many years off of my life as well. :frown:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    No breakfast. Often skipped lunch. Got REALLY hungry and binge ate starting around 2:00pm eating mostly chips and cheese dip or Lay's barbecue or cheddar and sour cream chips. I would often finish a whole bag of chips in 1 day (not the snack size). Drank 4-5 regular cokes per day. Dinner was usually some kind of rice or pasta dish. I usually filled the plate to the brim and finished it off. Dessert was a bowl full of ice cream.

I was easily taking in 3000-4000 calories per day.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    Mine was strictly portion control. The foods I eat now are the same as before. I had a bad habit of eating fast and not giving myself time to register that I was full and as a result I would eat multiple portions in one sitting. I don't like chips or sweets and I haven't eaten fast food in probably fifteen years or more.