What were you eating habits before MFP?

Options

Replies

• littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My downfall (and still is) was fast food and pizza. When I went to college, I was no longer getting Mom's home cooked meals every night. I started commuting and never had time to cook, I just wanted to pick something up on the way to homework. I'm still trying to learn recipes and how to cook but it's difficult with an extremely low budget. Mostly I'm watching portions and trying to make better choices now.
  • Ashley121205
    Ashley121205 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Lots of processed snacks like donut sticks, fall harvest cakes (any season), frozen foods and tons of diet coke !!! I gave it up thank goodness. I only indulge in a soda maybe every other week if that.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Went out to dinner almost every other day. Lots or red meat and sodium. I love cream sauces, butter..*sigh*
    Forgot to add MCDs sweet tea daily or some kind of boba or starbucks..
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    been tracking my calories through mfp for about a month. before then, i never considered my caloric intake for the day.

i just went in and entered my typical food intake as it was before i changed my diet. wow.. just wow.

i'm amazed i don't weight more than i do after looking at what i was putting into my body on a daily basis. makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. i'm definitely a 'late-night binger'.. i could scarf down an insane amount of food in a couple hours of 'snacking'. i still haven't entirely fixed the problem of wanting to eat so much late at night (its a mix of physical and psychological elements im sure..), but if i get the compulsion now, at least i can practice enough discipline to grub out on some frozen grapes or crackers and hummus.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat a lot most days, but then I'd binge and eat an entire bag of Doritos, the whole can of cheese dip, a package of gummy bears (like the big pound package) and a two liter of Dr Pepper. That was probably at least once a month. And I'd have frozen pizza all the time. But I easily drank a 2 liter of Dr Pepper every single day. Or 2 bottles.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Wasted massive calories on drinks like soda & juices.
    Take aways: give no fark for calorie content, just bang for buck fullness.
    minimal protein, high fat, VERY high carb I would estimate.
    alcohol was pretty much the same though. Only ever had a drink on the weekends and was always spirits with diet coke. (don't know why I did diet coke with spirits only?)

Having said all that, there really were no "habits". Just eat whatever was on hand, cheap and filling at the time. No wonder I was 20kg overweight.

These days, I still do takeaways (pick healthier options generally) and have "bad" foods but it's all recorded and fits into nutritional goals :smile:
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Fast foods once or twice a day . . at least. I was totally addicted to luncheon meats, bologna, hotdogs . . and oh yea, candy.
    At least 1-2 candy bars per day.

That has ALL changed. Thank God!! I was slowly heading towards a heart attack or worse . .
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    I ate pretty similar, but when I don't watch my calories or at least be mindful of what I'm eating, I sometimes go out of control on portion sizes. I've had 1/2 a box of cereal for a meal before.

I feel so much better being mindful of my eating. Also I don't really like Frosted Flakes anymore. I actually prefer Corn Flakes with a little honey and unsweetened almond milk.

Also, I became a vegetarian in July.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Great question. I just ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted it. I drank a lot of juice (I cut pop out a couple of years ago already), ordered out A LOT, and the most important downfall was that when I was full, I still continued to eat because I enjoyed the taste of what I was eating so much; thank goodness I don't do that anymore. I never looked at or cared about the nutritional value because for me, if it tastes good, I'll have it.

Now, my habits are a complete 180. :)
  • goodthings
    Options
    so much candy!! i would definitely buy some sort of package(s) of candy every day. sour patch watermelons and milk duds. and i was addicted to sausage,egg, and cheese bagels from dunkin donuts for breakfast, which now would be more than half my daily calories! sometimes i'd trhow a couple munckins in there too. actually i am not sure how i didn't gain weight until this year.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put alot of thought into what I ate. I simply ate until I was not hungry. That being said, I'm a fast eater and had a tendency to make poor choices out of convenience more frequently than I should have. I remember a night after a stressful day away from my family I went to Wendy's and ordered 2 single cheeseburgers w/ mayo. It wasn't enough so I stopped at McDonalds on the way to the hotel and bought 2 more...and a giant chocolate shake. I slept well. It tasted great but we all know the affects of eating that way.

One significant change was stopping consumption of juices. I would kill cartons of OJ...not any more though. Water, black coffee, crystal light, unsweet tea. All things I've always liked, I just drink more of them now.

I have a much more thought out approach now and take more interest into what I'm feeding myself. It has it's pros and cons but I'm happier now, especially with my appearance and health.
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been on a plan for several years now, so I will discuss my really bad days here:

Breakfast -- McDonald's Big Breakfast, complete with second hash brown and orange juice, OR huge bowl of Cheerios with added sugar, OR *two* Dunkin Donuts Banana Nut Muffins (when I joined WW and found out the point value I was horrified!)

Lunch -- three slices of pizza, or the Double Quarter Pounder meal and Hi-C orange drink from McDonalds, or a huge burrito AND side order of chili AND Mexican rice (as if the burrito didn't have enough rice!) with a 24-oz C&C fruit punch soda cola from the local restaurant, or foot long cheeseburger from Blimpies

Dinner -- USD 5.00 regular crust medium pizza from Dominos with sausage and half a container of chicken bites and dressing, or four-piece KFC meal with baked beans and mashed potatoes, or corned beef with Goya yellow rice (can you say sodium attack, boys and girls?); or would split a 20-cheeseburger pack from White Castle

Snacks -- I would open a box of crackers around 11 a.m. at work, eat lunch at 1, and go back to the box between 2 and 3, usually finishing it in one day. In my early 20s I would spend the afternoon at the movies -- the Pretzel Time at the mall sold four pretzels for the price of three so I would get that and sneak them into the movie, then pick up a four-piece from Popeyes to have later. Salty stuff, sweet stuff -- I ate it all, and I sure looked like it!

After years of that, I had the nerve to be shocked to find out I weighed 320 pounds. :ohwell: :girlbye:
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I thought I was eating a lot less calories than I was!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Wow, tough question only because it's awful to think about old eating habits. But....I would eat out at least once, sometimes twice a day. I used to go to Dunkin donuts and get a medium coffee with cream and light sugar, with 2 donuts, usually a chocolate long john and maple brown sugar. Lunch, if I was at work would usually be a turkey sandwich with cheese and sometimes mayo, diet soda, and chips, regular or sometimes light. I would sometimes buy one or two candy bars from the vending machine, like a snickers and peanut m&ms for afternoon snack at work. Then I would head home and pick up something: either pad thai with tofu (which soaks up a lot of oil and probably is not as healthy as chicken would have been), and sometimes would add an order of crab rangoons. A few times I had a 2-piece chicken and side from Popeyes, or a couple years ago I would have a double cheeseburger and small fries from McDonalds, along with hot fudge sundae. Or my favorite was a cheeseburger sometimes with bacon, onion rings, and strawberry shake from Portillo's, a local fast food chain. Sometimes after dinner I would have multiple bowls of cereal, always with skim milk. And if I didn't have ice cream out, I would eat either an entire pint of Haagen Daaz, or sometimes eat half a jar of Nutella, along with bread, I could finish one in 2 nights usually. Along with some potato chips to round things out for salt.

Ugh.....:sick: ......sickening to even think about, even though it was only 8 months ago I was eating like that...started MFP 2 months ago and I eat even better than I was before. Now I still need to have something sweet each day but I generally can control how much I have, only one or two days recently were not "good" days but they were still better than before!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I ate pretty much the same as I do now, in the same portions. I probably ate less.

My downfall was the lack of exercise, ever.
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    BEFORE MFP AVERAGE DAY

Vegemite toast
    134 cals
    4 x fun sized mars bars --- 348 cals
    3 litres diet coke
    20 cals
    grain waves
    955 cals
    chicken salad
    400 cals
    chicken casserole
    800 cals
    tim tams
    280 cals
    = 2937 cals daily, predominantly sugar and fat

GOOD MFP GOAL DAY
    Milo Oats
    115 cals
    Minestrone Soup
    110 cals
    Quiche
    291 cals
    Diet Coke
    8 cals
    = 524 cals

BINGE MFP DAY (at least one a week)
    Box of cereal
    Pack of tim tams
    litre of milk
    Family blocks of chocolate
    And meals
    = between 4000 and 6000 calories

These binge days never occured before MFP, my goal days usually don't stay that low, average mfp day is around 900 calories
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i drank a little too much, which as we all know is full of empty calories. late night eating, binge eating, eating cuz i was bored. made bad choices. my 3pm snack was a diet coke and two bags of peanut m&m's. i'd forget my lunch at home, or decide i didn't want it, and buy a giant hero from some place near work.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat badly generally, i ate well but too much of it i.e. big jacket potato with full can of tuna, huge salad and cheese and salad dressing. Lots of vegetables and fruit, low fat yoghurt and diet drinks, i didn't eat full fat anything but i overate when i did eat. I also tended to eat the same portion sizes as my boyfriend and if he had pizza with his friends i had some. I did exercise but not everyday and also nothing that got me out of breath, i walked alot!
    I also drank more as i went on nights out with uni friends and had takeaway on the way home. So although i only went on one night a week i might have had a bottle of cider (not a 2 litre bottle of white lightening though, a kopperberg bottle!) and thwn 10 vodka red bulls and THEN a kebab on the wya home. So thats about 2000 extra calories every friday. No wonder i put weight on!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I ate larger portions of everything plus a few bad choices.

Breakfast:
    4 pieces of toast with butter and nutella

Lunch:
    Bread with lunch meat and veggies

Snacks (when coming home from work)
    Saucisson, chips or cheese

Dinner
    Meat, veggies and starchs
    Chocolate for dessert
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Usually skipped breakfast - or just had a large coffee for breakfast instead. On regular occasions skipping lunch as well. Drinking sodas instead of water. Pizza - ALL the time (since I work at a pizza store), McDonalds 1-3 times a week, sometimes 2 times a day! HUGE dinners. Lots and lots of meet, lots of pasta, rice and hardly any veggies. Huge servings of pasta and rice. Too much sodium.

Going from eating too much to not eating at all, for 3-4 days at a time and this would last for months, where i'd drop 30kg in 2 months and then put it back on when I started eating again. Used to survive off diet drinks, milk and coffee.