Things you totally remember from back in the day......

Options

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

Playing Donkey Kong on my ColecoVision video game console
    Jealous.

Don't be LOL... it started a very serious gaming addiction that I have to this day.
    My friend found one at a thrift store and we've been tearing it up the last couple weeks :D
  • chameleon73
    chameleon73 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Staying out all day and not coming home until dinner
    Riding our bikes, everywhere, for hours at a time, our parents not knowing where we were and not being worried about it

I remember this... We used to ride our bikes as far as we could go. Now, I don't let my kids go down the block alone, much less several neighborhoods over, like I did as a kid.

Oh, and parachute pants.
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    swatch watchs
    MTV actually playing music/videos; oh and no MTV - I remember that also!

ditto the parachute pants!
  • crobinson0923
    Options
    What about those pencils where you just pulled the tip out and put it in the bottom when it got low, and it would be replaced with a sharp one? I had scented ones... and what was up with using the end as an eraser even though it didn't erase anything lol
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    jelly shoes, Trapper Keepers and slap bracelets!

OMG! I LOVED all of those! I had a whole collection of jelly shoes and slap bracelets.
    slap braclets....don't look now but THEY'RE BACK!!!!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    TGIF- boy meets world, sabrina the teenage witch, Family Matters and Step by Step.

Yes! I was going to say this! Anyone remember Teen Angel? I was just talking about that show today. So great.
    What about those pencils where you just pulled the tip out and put it in the bottom when it got low, and it would be replaced with a sharp one? I had scented ones... and what was up with using the end as an eraser even though it didn't erase anything lol

Ooh nostalgia. And on the subject of school supplies (I mean it was so fun to shop for school supplies)... Lisa frank, and (ditto to the person who said) gel pens.

And when it was cool to wear your bangs as two strands that came down your face?
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Kick the can and spin the bottle ... oh wait, never mind still play the latter ! LOL LOL LOL ! :tongue:
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Gobble sticks. They were my favourite snack when I was a kid.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Dittos jeans on the girls.... *SIGH!*

I was going to say Dittos. I wore dittos and platform shoes. The heel on those things was huge!
  • Jcoveny2
    Jcoveny2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    matchbooks, matchbooks wedged in the dial on the tv to keep the channel locked in. Everyone meeting in the park to "PLAY". Walking to school!
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bell bottom jeans mid driff tops and of course mini skirts. ha ha I remember the school dress code stated the dress had to be long enough so that if you reached for the top shelf of your locker your underwear couldn't be seen.

Oh yeah and earth shoes... your heel was lower than the rest of your foot so you could tone your calf.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Sesame Street (ok I admit to watching this sometimes even though my kids are older but it's not the same)
    Party lines - where 1 or 2 of your neighbors were on the same telephone line and you could hear their conversations
    Farming before all of the pesticides we have now
    When my PARENTS would actually call me on the telephone and NOT text me for crying out loud!!
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sesame Street (ok I admit to watching this sometimes even though my kids are older but it's not the same)
    Party lines - where 1 or 2 of your neighbors were on the same telephone line and you could hear their conversations
    Farming before all of the pesticides we have now
    When my PARENTS would actually call me on the telephone and NOT text me for crying out loud!!

I remember party lines ... so fun when you were a kid....not when you were dating.

I also remember our house was a long distance number from the school, so we would call collect from the school and ask to speak to ourselves. It was our sign it was time to pick us up at school without having to pay for the long distance call.
  • hayskylar
    Options
    TRL on MTV.
    Doodle Bears.
    Giga Pets.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    New Kids on the Block

MTV actually playing music videos

Beavis and Butthead (the original)

Junco jeans
  • snowfox92
    snowfox92 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    shoulder pads!!!!!!!!!!!
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    Socks that fit toes (like mittens for feet)
    Charm bracelets
    Crazy hair day (apparently it doesn't happen anymore - kids are missing out)
    1D animation in all movies and shows (Loony Toons)
    Pez
    Mighty Beans
    Finger Skateboards
    Stacey - Barbie's cousin.
    Denim overalls
    Cell phones that were the size of boots and that's before they unfolded.
    Answering machines with cassettes
    Old School Kettles (because instantly warming up water with a boiler didn't happen)
    Bright One Color Track Suits
    Reboot (the show)

oh and tamagotchis!
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Reggie Jackson candy bars
    Micheal Jackson zipper jackets
    A card in your bicycle spokes
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Playing cards clipped to bicycle spokes to sound like an "engine"
    Roller skate keys
    NO air conditioning anywhere except in some department stores
    25 cents for a pack of cigarettes - and anyone could buy them out of the machine - even kids
    The Beatles
    peace and love - groovy man....
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm an 80's baby I can go on forever lol

Jean Jackets in acid wash with shoulder pads of course lol
    Black shiny shoes for girls with laces that look like see through ribbon
    Buster Brown Shoes
    Neon laces
    Members Only Jackets
    Pro Wings
    Double tongue Reeboks
    Headbands
    Big shiny bows for the back of your hair
    Clamps that go on the edge of your t-shirt so you can tie it on one side. Had those in all neon colors with Diamonds lmbo

Give me a Break
    What's happening
    Facts of Life
    Different Strokes
    Webster
    Mr T
    Night Rider
    Silver Spoons
    Saved by the Bell
    Peewee's Playhouse
    Small Wonder
    The Wuzzles