Truth or Myth about the potatoe?

I'm confused as whether I can eat potatoes or not? I google it and ask many healthy people and they all tell me no don't eat it is bad for you? Can someone clarify this for me with actual facts and not just hearsay.. PLEASE AND THANK YOU

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Potatoes are good for you. Not sure who is saying it's bad for you. Excess calories along with the couch and TV remote are bad for you.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 260 Member
    I think all in moderation. Some people look at it as a vegetable and some look at it as a carb. Personally, I say go for it... but I guess thats just hearsay...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    inb4 sweet potatoes are fine and white ones arent.

OP: Eat potatoes, keep lifting and boxing. Profit.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Potatoes are not bad for you.
    They are about 70 calories an ounce and help fill you up.

However, if you dump a pile of butter on them or fry them in oil they will become bad for you. Its not the potato that's bad its what you do with it.
  • joejccva71
    Eat potatoes and live the dream.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    i know they are starchy, and too much isn't good for you, so as long as you eat them in moderation, and not like 5 lbs a day, i think you will be fine..now i want a baked potato :wink:
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    i know they are starchy, and too much isn't good for you, so as long as you eat them in moderation, and not like 5 lbs a day, i think you will be fine..now i want a baked potato :wink:
  • Potatoes are a better source of potassium than bananas (when looking at caloric content).
  • They are not bad for you perse, but they are a very starchy vegetable, which is why they say it is healthier to eat the sweet potatoes instead, which has less starch in it. Eating it every once in a while will not hamper your weight much though
  • joejccva71
    inb4 sweet potatoes are fine and white ones arent.

OP: Eat potatoes, keep lifting and boxing. Profit.

It took what...3 minutes before this happened....
    They are not bad for you perse, but they are a very starchy vegetable, which is why they say it is healthier to eat the sweet potatoes instead, which has less starch in it. Eating it every once in a while will not hamper your weight much though
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    That's a personal question. Some people can tolerate potatoes, others cannot. Eliminating foods and reintroducing them is a great way to see for yourself. I cannot tolerate white potatoes. I opt for sweet potatoes and yams.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Potatoes are not bad for you.

However, if you dump a pile of butter on them or fry them in oil they will become bad for you. Its not the potato that's bad its what you do with it.

This ^^^^. Potatoes themselves are a good starch to eat in moderation.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Potatoes are filling and relatively low in cals compared to other starchs (rice or pasta). If you're concerned about their GI index, boil them, do not bake them. :)
  • lalinzki
    lalinzki Posts: 121
    WOOOOOOOOOOW...Its crazy how bad information can get people to think differently about food. Thanks guys I just missed my potatoes. Specially since my wife bought a slicer that can slice and shreds and do all kinds of cool stuff. I'm going to make hash browns with egg whites :)
  • lalinzki
    lalinzki Posts: 121
    Sorry double post
  • Potatoes are not bad for you.

Exactly, its all in how it is prepared search for more healthful recipe options

Exactly! :)
  • yieldguru
    yieldguru Posts: 9 Member
    Here's what I know from personal experience and some reading. White potatoes are fine. They are filling, low in calories, and have a good compliment of vitamins and fiber. The issue with potatoes is the junk added to the top. If that is kept to a min then it's a good belly filler. Sweet potatoes have a bit more carotene but they are both nutritious snacks. Fat Free sour cream (from walmart tastes the best - 15 cal per 2 TBSP) with a dip mix like ranch or dill makes a very low cal topping. Obviously, if you are watching your carbs this would not be the right food. You might not stay filled as long as fats tend to make you feel fuller longer than carbs.
    Potatoes are cheap and nutritious and really had a bad rap for awhile. Likely due to the fact the American diet is loaded with them usually in the form of French Fries.

for a Medium White Potato
    Nutrient Without skin (156 g) (% RDA), With skin (173 g) (% RDA)
    VitaminC 33,28
    Thiamin 11,7
    Niacin 11,12
    Vitamin B6 23,27
    Folate 4,12
    Pantothenic Acid 9,7
    Iron 3,10
    Magnesium 10,12
    Potassium 17,26
    Copper 17,10
    Dietary Fiber 9,15
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    WOOOOOOOOOOW...Its crazy how bad information can get people to think differently about food. Thanks guys I just missed my potatoes. Specially since my wife bought a slicer that can slice and shreds and do all kinds of cool stuff. I'm going to make hash browns with egg whites :)

Eat the yolk!

I would suggest learning moderation as opposed to eliminating foods entirely, but this approach might not be as easy for some people. But, if you're stepping into the ring and punching people and getting punched back, I'm assuming you can also show discipline in the kitchen and as such, moderation>elimination. IMO of course.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Its about knowing your limitations as well. My nana can't eat potatoes without a ton of butter on them so she avoids them. I love plain boiled potatoes with nothing on so I can eat them.

Peanut butter, on the other hand, is a whole other story :laugh: