Truth or Myth about the potatoe?

Options

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are nutritious, but the carbs in potatoes digest very quickly much in the same way that simple sugar does, so they cause a spike in your insulin the same way sugar does.

Why do you think this matters?

It matters to me because I'm diabetic. It should matter to many overweight people who may be borderline or in line to become diabetic.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are nutritious, but the carbs in potatoes digest very quickly much in the same way that simple sugar does, so they cause a spike in your insulin the same way sugar does.

Onoz-omg_animated.gifOnoz-omg_animated.gifOnoz-omg_animated.gif

Because it can lead to insulin resistance.

Myth

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=459

I'm not sure who wrote that article

"James Krieger is the founder of Weightology, LLC. He has a Master’s degree in Nutrition from the University of Florida and a second Master’s degree in Exercise Science from Washington State University. He is the former research director for a corporate weight management program that treated over 400 people per year, with an average weight loss of 40 pounds in 3 months

In addition to helping people achieve their weight loss goals, James is a published scientist and author. He has published weight loss and nutrition-related research in prestigious scientific journals, including the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and the Journal of Applied Physiology. James is the former editor for Journal of Pure Power, an online magazine which delivers scientific, but lay-friendly, information on training and nutrition to athletes and coaches. In fact, James has been involved in the health, nutrition, and fitness field for over 10 years, and has written over 250 articles on these topics. He is a strong believer in an evidence-based approach to health and well-being.

James is a licensed nutritionist with the state of Washington, a certified Health/Fitness Instructor with the American College of Sports Medicine, and a certified coach with Fowler Wainwright International. For more information on James’s background and experience, view his curriculum vita.
    or why I would believe it,

Perhaps because it's backed by peer-reviewed research.
    but the fact is that eating foods with these types of sugars raises triglyceride levels and high triglycerides are a key risk factor for insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.

LULZ

Care to back this up? Preferably with something peer-reviewed? (PubMed > lay press)

No offense but I'll listen to my endocrinologist. Thanks, though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Myth

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=459

I'm not sure who wrote that article

"James Krieger is the founder of Weightology, LLC. He has a Master’s degree in Nutrition from the University of Florida and a second Master’s degree in Exercise Science from Washington State University. He is the former research director for a corporate weight management program that treated over 400 people per year, with an average weight loss of 40 pounds in 3 months

In addition to helping people achieve their weight loss goals, James is a published scientist and author. He has published weight loss and nutrition-related research in prestigious scientific journals, including the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and the Journal of Applied Physiology. James is the former editor for Journal of Pure Power, an online magazine which delivers scientific, but lay-friendly, information on training and nutrition to athletes and coaches. In fact, James has been involved in the health, nutrition, and fitness field for over 10 years, and has written over 250 articles on these topics. He is a strong believer in an evidence-based approach to health and well-being.

James is a licensed nutritionist with the state of Washington, a certified Health/Fitness Instructor with the American College of Sports Medicine, and a certified coach with Fowler Wainwright International. For more information on James’s background and experience, view his curriculum vita.
    or why I would believe it,

Perhaps because it's backed by peer-reviewed research.
    but the fact is that eating foods with these types of sugars raises triglyceride levels and high triglycerides are a key risk factor for insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.

LULZ

Care to back this up? Preferably with something peer-reviewed? (PubMed > lay press)

No, what good would that do? Ask your doctor. Or don't. Makes no difference to me.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have started to eat red potatoes vs white ones, is this a good decision???

I *think* red potatoes have a slightly lower glycemic load. So if that matters to you, yes, it's a fine choice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I eat McDonald's fries as my potatoes.....................................but potatoes are fine. For centuries they were the staples of diets.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are nutritious, but the carbs in potatoes digest very quickly much in the same way that simple sugar does, so they cause a spike in your insulin the same way sugar does. This is why they are generally considered bad. If you eat them, try to eat them with foods that are high in fiber and/or protein as these slow digestion.

Yes, but potatoes also are a good source of fiber. People always use fiber as the excuse as to why it's perfectly ok to eat all those fast digesting sugars in fruit, so why doesn't that apply to potatoes? Just an example of the nonsense misinformation that so many people have assumed to be fact without critical thinking...

So which is it? Are potatoes really good, or are fruits really bad? Both have lots of vitamins, both have similar calorie amounts, both have fast digesting sugars, both have fiber... You can't call one group good and the other bad.
  • lalinzki
    lalinzki Posts: 121
    Options
    This is one of the main reasons I had to ask this question about potatoes, also if someone else knows what about boneless pork chops?, I know they are totally different but that is one of the other question I wanted to ask but I don't want to make another topic. To everybody thanks so much for putting the time and effort for the input and links provided. I will look into all of them :):wink:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    This is one of the main reasons I had to ask this question about potatoes, also if someone else knows what about boneless pork chops?, I know they are totally different but that is one of the other question I wanted to ask but I don't want to make another topic. To everybody thanks so much for putting the time and effort for the input and links provided. I will look into all of them :):wink:

I would take much less concern over whether or not a specific food is good or bad. I would recommend that instead, you focus on hitting your calorie and macronutrient goal, and within that goal, select "mostly" whole foods like meats/fish/vegetables/fruits/etc. Occasionally eat things you don't think are great for you too if you want, like junk food--- just don't make it the main ingredient in your diet and I would speculate that you will be just fine.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are nutritious, but the carbs in potatoes digest very quickly much in the same way that simple sugar does, so they cause a spike in your insulin the same way sugar does. This is why they are generally considered bad. If you eat them, try to eat them with foods that are high in fiber and/or protein as these slow digestion.

Yes, but potatoes also are a good source of fiber. People always use fiber as the excuse as to why it's perfectly ok to eat all those fast digesting sugars in fruit, so why doesn't that apply to potatoes? Just an example of the nonsense misinformation that so many people have assumed to be fact without critical thinking...

So which is it? Are potatoes really good, or are fruits really bad? Both have lots of vitamins, both have similar calorie amounts, both have fast digesting sugars, both have fiber... You can't call one group good and the other bad.

^ And this is a great post.
  • bcattoes
    Options

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-full-story/index.html#2

Dividing carbohydrates into simple and complex makes sense on a chemical level. But it doesn't do much to explain what happens to different kinds of carbohydrates inside the body. For example, the starch in white bread and French-fried potatoes clearly qualifies as a complex carbohydrate. Yet the body converts this starch to blood sugar nearly as fast as it processes pure glucose. Fructose (fruit sugar) is a simple carbohydrate, but it has a minimal effect on blood sugar.

Genes, a sedentary lifestyle, being overweight, and a diet rich in processed carbohydrates can each promote insulin resistance. (The combination is far worse.) Data from the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study suggests that cutting back on refined grains and eating more whole grains in their place can improve insulin sensitivity.

Liese AD, Roach AK, Sparks KC, Marquart L, D'Agostino RB, Jr., Mayer-Davis EJ. Whole-grain intake and insulin sensitivity: the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2003; 78:965–71.

If a diet rich in processed carbs can promote insulin resistance and potatoes are proceesed in the same way as processed carbs ... well, draw your own conclusion.

Honestly I'm not telling anyone whether they should eat potatoes. But the OP asked if they were healthy and IMO they are not. and so I will eat them only occasionally. You decdie what's works for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-full-story/index.html#2

Dividing carbohydrates into simple and complex makes sense on a chemical level. But it doesn't do much to explain what happens to different kinds of carbohydrates inside the body. For example, the starch in white bread and French-fried potatoes clearly qualifies as a complex carbohydrate. Yet the body converts this starch to blood sugar nearly as fast as it processes pure glucose. Fructose (fruit sugar) is a simple carbohydrate, but it has a minimal effect on blood sugar.

Genes, a sedentary lifestyle, being overweight, and a diet rich in processed carbohydrates can each promote insulin resistance. (The combination is far worse.) Data from the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study suggests that cutting back on refined grains and eating more whole grains in their place can improve insulin sensitivity.

Liese AD, Roach AK, Sparks KC, Marquart L, D'Agostino RB, Jr., Mayer-Davis EJ. Whole-grain intake and insulin sensitivity: the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2003; 78:965–71.

If a diet rich in processed carbs can promote insulin resistance and potatoes are proceesed in the same way as processed carbs ... well, draw your own conclusion.

Honestly I'm not telling anyone whether they should eat potatoes. But the OP asked if they were healthy and IMO they are not. and so I will eat them only occasionally. You decdie what's works for you.
    The big issue I see with this post is PROCESSED carbs. A baked potato's profile is much different than that of a french fry.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

Grasping at straws to make a connection that doesn't exist.

Potatoes are NOT processed the same way as processed carbs. You're basing this assumption on GI, but GI is a severely flawed measurement:
    http://alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html

Nothing you've provided draws a direct causal relationship between potato consumption and insulin resistance. You haven't even come close to a correlation.

Although it was only an n=1 experiment, the recent 20-potatoes/day experiment provides an interesting counterexample to your claim.

There isn't a single shred of evidence that ANY food can cause insulin resistance in the context of a hypocaloric diet.
  • Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are not bad for you.
    They are about 70 calories an ounce and help fill you up.

However, if you dump a pile of butter on them or fry them in oil they will become bad for you. Its not the potato that's bad its what you do with it.
    You read my mind.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Actually the potato is the most satiating food on this planet.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Really? Here I was thinking that insulin resistance was the result of complex cell and receptor changes in our bodies, often related at least partially to genetics, that has nothing to do with eating sugar.

Potatoes are a good choice. The whole sweet potato > white potato stems from OLD GI (glycaemic index) research - since then, basically they have discovered that most sweet potatoes (remember there are loads of different varieties) are actually a very similar GI to potato. While potato does have a high GI, most people will have it with some protein or fat which will significantly alter the way it is absorbed, making the GI of the meal much lower. Not that there is anything particularly wrong with high GI foods, as with everything, portion means much more than GI.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Here's the Washington State guy that ate potatoes to make a point.

http://www.20potatoesaday.com/index.html

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/nov/28/potato-only-dieter-nears-60-day-goal/

You are never going to find anyone to ever agree that this that or the other thing are good for you or bad for you. It really comes down to do what you think is best :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

For some, I suppose it could be. Though that has absolutely nothing to do with my post so I'm not sure why it was quoted.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Grasping at straws to make a connection that doesn't exist.

Potatoes are NOT processed the same way as processed carbs. You're basing this assumption on GI, but GI is a severely flawed measurement:
    http://alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html

Nothing you've provided draws a direct causal relationship between potato consumption and insulin resistance. You haven't even come close to a correlation.

Although it was only an n=1 experiment, the recent 20-potatoes/day experiment provides an interesting counterexample to your claim.

There isn't a single shred of evidence that ANY food can cause insulin resistance in the context of a hypocaloric diet.

Then eat potatoes. Eat them every day at every meal. Good luck to you.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Then eat potatoes. Eat them every day at every meal. Good luck to you.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excluding-the-middle.html
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

For some, I suppose it could be. Though that has absolutely nothing to do with my post so I'm not sure why it was quoted.

It has do do with digestion and feeling full which has nothing to do with the insulin response a particular food elicits. Fish spikes insulin up the ying yang, but it's also satiating.........people seem to think if something spikes insulin, then it's somehow a bad thing like you said, or it somehow makes people eat more, wich was my point. Clear as mud I'm sure..