Dears pls help the Pears!

Options
Its for pear shaped ladies only!

I know pear shape is feminine but only if it is slender, gigantic can not be an adjective for feminity :laugh:

I know very well that we cant spot reduce but there are so many workout dvds in the market related to lower body.

1) Share your height, weight, before and after measurements.

2) What workouts have you done to reduce the inches and what do you suggest as effective ones.

If this thread goes succesful we shall start a motivational challenge soon!

Replies

• Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear too... I'm not sure what is terribly successful. I just got the lower body workout from Jillian Michaels that I'm planning to start after the 30 Day Shred. I've also been running in the hopes that it will help drop the lower body weight. So far, it's just increased my thighs 1/2" and decreased my arms and breasts. Sigh... I hope that we get some good advice on what works!
  • louisebear
    Options
    hello im pear shaped....height 157 cm size 16 now :O) waist 99cm and hips 106 cm and weight 82 kilos......ive lost a total of 10 cm in 5 months from each measurement that ive given u :O) WALKING WALKING AND MORE WALKING plus JOGGING ever other night!!!!!!! believe me u will notice the difference.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and about 184 pounds.I've been told that doing lunges and other exercises that incorporate a lot of muscles are the ones for my shape. Personally I hate lunges and the only thing that works is to consistently lose body fat. I've started adding more cardio and weights to tone up my upper body which is realy weak. My backside is definately my trouble area and it seems like I have to stay very consitent to get the weight off there. I tend to lose in my waist first which makes me feel thinner until my jeans stop at my hips and won't reach my waist. What kind of challenge did you have in mind?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and started MFP in February 2011 at 175 pounds. I am currently about 147 pounds with a goal weight of 145 (possibly a couple pounds lower to allow some fluctuation).

Starting measurements"
    175 pounds
    Waist: 40"
    Hips: 44"
    Upper thigh (fattest part): 28"

Last time I measure was back in July (have to do that soon):
    153 pounds
    Waist: 35
    Hips: 41
    Upper thigh: 24.5

My hips currently have to be less than 40" since I now wear size 8 pants but I am not certain. If I remember, I'll measure tonight and posy my updated numbers.

My inches have been gradually going down all over as I have lost weight, though my hips and thighs were (of course) the last to go. I started doing mat pilates in August once a week and stepped it up to twice a week starting in September. I have been in a plateau of sorts since September through today, holding steady at 147 pounds. However, I dropped a pants size (from US 10 to 8) in that "plateau" time so I give pilates the credit! It really has changed the tone of my body. I can't recommend it enough, so long as you find a studio with a good teacher, at least to start, and learn the basics before doing it at home.

Edited to add: I have been doing cardio all along (even before MFP) in the form of brisk walking and hiking. I do pilates in addition to that.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, I am a 5'-2" pear, I started this journey at 185 pounds on January 27th 2011, am currently at 150.

My starting waist measurement was 37.5" and is now 33.0"
    My starting hip measurement was 45.5" and is now 38"
    My starting thigh measurement was 26" and is now 22.5"

I can say with certainty that these lower body changes have mostly occured due to running 2 to 3 times per week. I do other workout videos, but nothing that consistently. I hope this helps you!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hips 43, waist 38, height 5'6", weight 180. Genetic pear. Even when I weighed only 125 lbs, I always had to buy a size larger bottom in suits, either pants or skirts. And I would be an A cup in the beasts and need shoulder pads so jackets would fit properly. LOL! I share the big bottom with the women on my mother's side of the family. ; )

Exercise, particularly walking makes a big difference in the stomach, hips area. Keeps it from ballooning too much.

My philosophy: keep the pear from turning into an apple. Love your difference. And use fashion advice for pear shapes in dressing.
  • BethyAnn93
    Options
    I'm a pear :( lol. I don't like it very much. My fiance does, but no... lol.
    My hips are 33, while my waist is 23. And I'm 5'5.
    I started on this site about 6 months ago and have been on and off of it. But have been working out a lot longer than that.
    I try to use my balance ball to help reduce and tone my legs. And do squats and leg raises to tone my butt lol :)
  • samantha0176
    samantha0176 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    uggh i hear ya! i hate the big butt, thigh, hip thing..it is the healthiest shape though so i guess we have to be thankful for that...i have a nice upper body, smallish waist (28in) ...all great then i get to my hips and yikes! (39.5in) as of this morning...and my thighs...my one thighs is as big as my 2yo! (22in) ...then my legs below the knees look great!

the last time i got to a good weight between kid#1 and#2, pilates helped tone that area and for once i was happy with my shape...but i had to get to below 120lb (i am a tiny 5'1) and do pilates 3x a week in addition to my cardio and strength training..

samantha
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and about 184 pounds.I've been told that doing lunges and other exercises that incorporate a lot of muscles are the ones for my shape. Personally I hate lunges and the only thing that works is to consistently lose body fat. I've started adding more cardio and weights to tone up my upper body which is realy weak. My backside is definately my trouble area and it seems like I have to stay very consitent to get the weight off there. I tend to lose in my waist first which makes me feel thinner until my jeans stop at my hips and won't reach my waist. What kind of challenge did you have in mind?

I have been doing research on Internet about it, moreover I have bad knees these days so I was looking for some way out that i can keep working on buns and thighs without the sqauts and lunges. so far i have found Winsor Pilates very good I can literally feel it where it is working.

about the challenge I think that whatever we come up after discussing the previous experience of u guys
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    I'm a pear too... I'm not sure what is terribly successful. I just got the lower body workout from Jillian Michaels that I'm planning to start after the 30 Day Shred. I've also been running in the hopes that it will help drop the lower body weight. So far, it's just increased my thighs 1/2" and decreased my arms and breasts. Sigh... I hope that we get some good advice on what works!

Are u referring to killer buns and thighs? i have gone through the video it has 3 levels but 40 mins each and it is killer one I think it is comparable to P90X as it has a lot of plyometrics(jumping)
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    hello im pear shaped....height 157 cm size 16 now :O) waist 99cm and hips 106 cm and weight 82 kilos......ive lost a total of 10 cm in 5 months from each measurement that ive given u :O) WALKING WALKING AND MORE WALKING plus JOGGING ever other night!!!!!!! believe me u will notice the difference.

Yes i have heard walking and running helps. have any of u guys ever done c25K?
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and weigh 124 lbs..used to weigh 150. I still maintained the same shape after losing weight, but managed to tighten both my butt and thigs with strength training my legs two days a week, one day involving plyometrics, and the other just circuit training :)
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options

I have the same problem that my waist gets trim so fast and hips and thighs are so stubborn they look even more big.

thats why Im reluctant to do 30DS as have seen ppl b4 and after measurement and most of the case 30DS works on waist more than hips and thighs...thats y im want to do Killer buns and thighs but I hope my knees can bear all those plyos
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    I am 5'7" and started MFP in February 2011 at 175 pounds. I am currently about 147 pounds with a goal weight of 145 (possibly a couple pounds lower to allow some fluctuation).

Starting measurements"
    175 pounds
    Waist: 40"
    Hips: 44"
    Upper thigh (fattest part): 28"

Last time I measure was back in July (have to do that soon):
    153 pounds
    Waist: 35
    Hips: 41
    Upper thigh: 24.5

My hips currently have to be less than 40" since I now wear size 8 pants but I am not certain. If I remember, I'll measure tonight and posy my updated numbers.

My inches have been gradually going down all over as I have lost weight, though my hips and thighs were (of course) the last to go. I started doing mat pilates in August once a week and stepped it up to twice a week starting in September. I have been in a plateau of sorts since September through today, holding steady at 147 pounds. However, I dropped a pants size (from US 10 to 8) in that "plateau" time so I give pilates the credit! It really has changed the tone of my body. I can't recommend it enough, so long as you find a studio with a good teacher, at least to start, and learn the basics before doing it at home.

Edited to add: I have been doing cardio all along (even before MFP) in the form of brisk walking and hiking. I do pilates in addition to that.

Congratulations even inthe plateau u have seen inch loss which is great. how many minutes of pilates class did u do? Winsor is good but less than 19 minutes so i combined 10 minutes rapid loss and 10 mintes prenatal pilates to make it 40 mins

which dvd do u suggest?
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    Well, I am a 5'-2" pear, I started this journey at 185 pounds on January 27th 2011, am currently at 150.

My starting waist measurement was 37.5" and is now 33.0"
    My starting hip measurement was 45.5" and is now 38"
    My starting thigh measurement was 26" and is now 22.5"

I can say with certainty that these lower body changes have mostly occured due to running 2 to 3 times per week. I do other workout videos, but nothing that consistently. I hope this helps you!

Congratulations! i have noticed u have lost more on hips than waist which isvery unusual for pear shaped ppl.
    kindly elaborate more about your workout routine! how many miles, time and which lower body dvds did u use.

and once again ur results r amazing
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    uggh i hear ya! i hate the big butt, thigh, hip thing..it is the healthiest shape though so i guess we have to be thankful for that...i have a nice upper body, smallish waist (28in) ...all great then i get to my hips and yikes! (39.5in) as of this morning...and my thighs...my one thighs is as big as my 2yo! (22in) ...then my legs below the knees look great!

the last time i got to a good weight between kid#1 and#2, pilates helped tone that area and for once i was happy with my shape...but i had to get to below 120lb (i am a tiny 5'1) and do pilates 3x a week in addition to my cardio and strength training..

samantha

which pilates dvd do u use?
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and weigh 124 lbs..used to weigh 150. I still maintained the same shape after losing weight, but managed to tighten both my butt and thigs with strength training my legs two days a week, one day involving plyometrics, and the other just circuit training :)

did u use any dvd in particular? elaborate more about ur workout pls
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I did the insanity DVDs, all 13 of them, in order to get in my plyometrics (but I'm sure you could do things like vertical leaps, jump squats, jump lunges, and the like without the DVDs), and I circuited trained by combining different exercises (oxygenmag.com is a great place to find some) to create a full-leg and glute workout. Both things combined together really helped me see results. let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you :)
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm a definite pear, with at least a full size difference between my upper and lower halves.

Starting weight 211 lbs
    Size 20 pants
    Waist 37"
    Hips 50"
    Thigh 30"

Current weight 172 (or so)
    Size 12-14 pants
    Waist 28.5"
    Hips 40"
    Thigh 25"

I've mostly just dieted and stayed as active as my schedule permits. It's tougher now that I'm in school. I do weight-lifting, Zumba, biking, swimming, walking, karate, or whatever else. No high impact activities due to arthritis in my knees. I need to take a new progress picture soon, although I still hate the way my legs look. They *are* getting slimmer, slowly. Some day I won't feel self-conscious about my thighs when I'm at the pool. Some day. :flowerforyou:
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    I did the insanity DVDs, all 13 of them, in order to get in my plyometrics (but I'm sure you could do things like vertical leaps, jump squats, jump lunges, and the like without the DVDs), and I circuited trained by combining different exercises (oxygenmag.com is a great place to find some) to create a full-leg and glute workout. Both things combined together really helped me see results. let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you :)

thanks u have been a great help!

as u r insanity grad, what r u remarks about Jillian micheals killer buns and thighs. background of this question is my waist gets trimmed very fast so my thighs and hips look even more big! i want a workout which better reduce my lowerbody fast and over the course of period my body get into better propotions. I am not saying my upperbody is perfect and i know we cant spot reduce and pear shape can not become hourglass! but still we have to work on it