Too diet pill or not to diet pill? Now that is the question!

Options
HI! I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on diet pills. I have tried many of them both prescription and non prescription, and I see new ones all the time that are oh so tempting. So I would love to hear your opinion! Also if you are in favor has anyone had any real success with any??

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt even take a doctor prescribed diet pill. remember fen phen?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    My vote is no. Also, in order to measure success with one you would need to know what effect (if any) the pill is having in addition to (above and beyond) what the individual is doing to lose weight. In other words, I would suspect in most cases, the cause of the weight loss was calorie deficit and not enhanced thermogenic effect of the pill. Maybe there are exceptions to this but I wouldn't recommend them.

This is just my opinion.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt even take a doctor prescribed diet pill. remember fen phen?

Oh yeah, didn't that drug ... kill people?
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
  • Kaytee233
    Kaytee233 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take a diet pill. It's not natural...better to just lose the weight through healthy eating and exercise! that's what I'm doing
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I believe that the fat blockers prescribed by your doctor will do the job but you still have to eat a low fat diet or suffer the messy and embarrasing consequences.

Other diet pills may do the job but are dangerous to your long term health

The rest are just scams to get money out of desperate people.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I took one one time (Hydroxycut) and I thought my heart was going to explode right out of my chest, seriously. It was AWFUL. I would say no to any diet pills, gimmicks, fads or anything with the word "diet" in it. Try doing it natural.

It takes longer, but is healthy and is a lifestyle change, rather than a diet that will not stick. Best of luck!!!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have tried many myself and some do help with appetite, but generally made me way too jittery. I did use Alli (previously Xenical o prescription) on the directive of my doctor. It did work for a while, but I think it was more b/c I was so religious about sticking to the allowed fat intake per day as to avoid "Treatment effects"
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    No diet pills, just eat better and work out.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Simple answer.... NO!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Not.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,034 Member
    Options
    Not.
  • aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    I agree with everyone above.. I say NO!. Before I lose my weight I did take pills and didnt work. Trust me, nothing like loosing weight the right way by working out and eating healthier. :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    HI! I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on diet pills. I have tried many of them both prescription and non prescription, and I see new ones all the time that are oh so tempting. So I would love to hear your opinion! Also if you are in favor has anyone had any real success with any??
    Here's the question to you: If they are successful then why are you here?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never been fan. Your post that you've tried many and are now thinking of trying more confirms my reasons for not liking them. If they worked, why would need them now (again)?

In my experience, slow and stead weight loss is more likely to lead to long term success because you learn good habits along the way. Quick fixes are just that. Quick. And then all too often you are right back where you started just as quickly.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I took one one time (Hydroxycut) and I thought my heart was going to explode right out of my chest, seriously. It was AWFUL. I would say no to any diet pills, gimmicks, fads or anything with the word "diet" in it. Try doing it natural.

It takes longer, but is healthy and is a lifestyle change, rather than a diet that will not stick. Best of luck!!!

This.
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like you've managed to lose 9lbs on MFP without! Why even think about it? I've lost 130lbs and did it med and surgery free! Just exercise and diet is all it takes! :wink:
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Can someone pass the popcorn? I love these posts.
  • Kaytee233
    Kaytee233 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Glad everyone's on the same page! NO! :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Tried a couple. None of them worked. Some were even dangerous.

Never again.