Too diet pill or not to diet pill? Now that is the question!

Options

Replies

• daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I agree with the guys above me.

I took a few for a while, and I noticed no increase in weight loss.

don't waste the money or take a chance on your health..not worth it.
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    Some pills, some times, can work some for some people. They are never a long term solution. Appetite supressants can effectively help jump start a diet and engage the taker into a dieting plan. I would only consider prescription versions. Alli, which is available over the counter, can be used long term but the "method" is not acceptable for many.
  • starscapenatasha
    Options
    Not only do they not work, but I finally started being consistent about my diet when I stopped being concerned about whether or not the scale was moving. Guess what? It is, but that's because I'm doing what I need to do with diet and exercise. The rest takes care of itself if you take care of those things. Even if diet pills do work (which they don't barring a few FDA approved drugs), they don't teach you how to take care of yourself or sustain your weight loss long term. I understand the temptation, but I promise you, you'll be a lot happier and healthier if you do it on your own. After the first couple of weeks, I started feeling more energized, I started sleeping better, and I just generally feel good. You will too, and the pounds WILL come off.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like being totally irrational, irritable, and downright mean to everyone around me, I pop a diet pill. Works like a charm.

For weight loss, I count calories and move my body.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I sometimes will take Oxy Elite Pro. I really only take them if I had a long day at work or need that extra boost to push me through my workout. Other then that I find them useless.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When they actually come up with something that works and is safe, I'll be delighted. But, it just isn't.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would not take any sort of diet pill. Putting anything like that into your body can damage other things along the way to losing weight. Plus, I'm a firm believer that learning to eat properly and workout is the only way to have any sort of lasting success in the long run. :) But, that's just my opinion and I'm sure others will feel differently. Best of luck in your efforts to lose the weight!
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I took one one time (Hydroxycut) and I thought my heart was going to explode right out of my chest, seriously. It was AWFUL. I would say no to any diet pills, gimmicks, fads or anything with the word "diet" in it. Try doing it natural.

It takes longer, but is healthy and is a lifestyle change, rather than a diet that will not stick. Best of luck!!!

This.

Double this!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Can someone pass the popcorn? I love these posts.

I'm sorry, it's after 2pm here. If you eat popcorn anytime between now and bed, the carbohydrate imp (2nd cousin to the insulin fairy) will show up in your sleep and make you fat.

Unless it's brown popcorn, then it's totally fine.
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    HI! I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on diet pills. I have tried many of them both prescription and non prescription, and I see new ones all the time that are oh so tempting. So I would love to hear your opinion! Also if you are in favor has anyone had any real success with any??
    Here's the question to you: If they are successful then why are you here?

Touche!
  • adk88
    adk88 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

This is awesome.
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, it's after 2pm here. If you eat popcorn anytime between now and bed, the carbohydrate imp (2nd cousin to the insulin fairy) will show up in your sleep and make you fat.

:laugh:
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    No diet pills, just eat better and work out.

This is what it takes to keep off long term!! :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    The only way to loose weight and keep it off is to stick to a healthy lifestyle. Make healthy food choices, watch your portions and exercise...be consistent and you WILL see results that will last you a lifetime!
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Hold on.........there are pills that can make you lose your extra weight????? What have I been doing wasting my time excercising and dieting for????

Don't do it! Hard work and perseverance will get you to your end goal, not diet pills.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options

It's totally okay. I have a carb-buster pill. They work. I saw it on TV once.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I vote No. They all have side effects of some kind, many of them don't even work and anything you do lose with them you'll just gain back after you stop taking them.

I think they're a waste of money and a waste of health. Everyone would like a jumpstart to their weight loss goals which make them very tempting - but it's just a mirage! I think most people know deep down in their heart what they need to do to reach their goals, but all the work is just so daunting it would make almost anyone look for some help with the task. Science still can't figure out how to shut off the feast/famine store-fat-for-the-future workings of our bodies. Maybe 10,000 years from now evolution will make our bodies figure out "hey, we're not going to be starving anytime soon - let's just get rid of all this extra".

I'm wondering if anyone has used the supposed "supplement based" "jump start" packages that Jillian Michaels and her buddy Bob or whatever have put their face on, or similar products. I have no info about them, but I'm curious if these are also considered diet pills. I mean, green tea extract and all that - just another mumbo jumbo bottle of diet pills right?
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    The only way to loose weight and keep it off is to stick to a healthy lifestyle. Make healthy food choices, watch your portions and exercise...be consistent and you WILL see results that will last you a lifetime!

Someone needs to put this on a hallmark card. Outstanding answer.
  • starscapenatasha
    Options
    Instead of getting our answers, here's answers from Harvard:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-weight/healthy-weight-full-story/index.html

The whole site is good, but I would specifically scroll down to Lessons from Losers. Basically, people who lost weight and kept it off did it through diet and exercise. Damn.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've tried Capsiplex and gone from struggling to manage to complete 30 mins exercise to been able to do 2 hours, and it did help get me out of starvation mode and improve my metabolism. It just has capsicum in which is found naturally in chilli's. It's got me interested in the effects of spicy foods and I've started experimenting with chilli's in my food and making up dishes.

I only used to take them before my early morning exercise sessions which increased from once a week to three, it did help me with energy levels and actually having the energy to do a good session which in turn resulted in me losing 15lbs.

In June I struggled to sit longer than a few hours in my chair before pain and fatigue meant I had to go lie down, recently I'm getting through an entire day and looking forwards to my first day out since last year, as I found it too exhausting to go anywhere.

I've since managed to get through day and do hour exercise in afternoon when I hadn't taken Capsiplex which I haven't managed for years so I do feel it helped give me energy to start exercising and build up my time and stamina to get through the day without needing to rest every hour or so.